If your family was being held hostage by terrorists, would you kill the President?

If your family was being held hostage by terrorists, would you kill the President?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,556.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
So, you're one of the saints who voted NO and would allow terrorists to murder your family in cold blood, is that right?

So many protests, but so few YES or NO votes. That indicates shame and cowardice.

If our actions in crises matched our core beliefs and ideals, we wouldn't need ethics, would we? Ethics are what we should do, given a particular situation. Reality is what we would do, given a particular situation.

There's no shame in admitting that our realities don't match our ideals. Every day, we are forced to choose between our core beliefs and ideals and the realities of life. Most choices are easy, while others like this hostage-president dilemma are not.

Unlike this poll, you won't be able to weasel out of answering YES or NO when that time comes. Your choices will define who and what you REALLY believe.

Odd words from a proponent of a religion with attitudes like "turn the other cheek" and "blessed are the meek".

There's no way I'm trusting terrorists to spare my family.

Upvote 0

willlowbee

Life Is Hard! Hug me!
Jul 3, 2013
✟1,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The pathetic thing about this upcoming fall series is it's going to drag out for the entire duration of one first season.

And then what? Terrorists are in the family house holding this woman doctors family at gun point after giving an ultimatum and what? For six weeks? Eight weeks? Once a week we are suppose to turn in and see how life goes at gunpoint while mom comes and goes to work electing the right time and place to kill the leader of the free world?

A man who is never alone in a hospital not even when he's having an operation.

It's a stupid question and it's a stupid series.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
And then what? Terrorists are in the family house holding this woman doctors family at gun point after giving an ultimatum and what? For six weeks? Eight weeks? Once a week we are suppose to turn in and see how life goes at gunpoint while mom comes and goes to work electing the right time and place to kill the leader of the free world?

That's not the concept. She's not waiting for the right opportunity; that opportunity has already presented itself. She is set to perform surgery on the president tomorrow. That is when she is to kill him.

Anyway, I watched it last night. It was actually better than I expected. And it seems less about the president and more about the family, the hostage-takers, why they might be doing it, and who is behind it all.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That's not the concept. She's not waiting for the right opportunity; that opportunity has already presented itself. She is set to perform surgery on the president tomorrow. That is when she is to kill him.

Anyway, I watched it last night. It was actually better than I expected. And it seems less about the president and more about the family, the hostage-takers, why they might be doing it, and who is behind it all.
:thumbsup: I forgot to set my DVR .. but I bet I can pick up a repeat.

Upvote 0

Paxton25

Forgiven
Aug 27, 2010
✟17,837.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The lack of interest in your poll merely indicates that it sucks.

What I really believe is that I wouldn't 'murder' either a homeless person or a president.

Let me be more succinct. Who do you value more, your family or the President? You must choose who lives and who dies.

If you are true to your Christian beliefs, you will alert the authorities and your family will be murdered by terrorists.

If you value your family's lives more than the President's and believe his death will guarantee their safety, you will commit ''one more sin'' and pray to Jesus for forgiveness.

Who will you save, your family or the President?

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Let me be more succinct. Who do you value more, your family or the President? You must choose who lives and who dies.

If you are true to your Christian beliefs, you will alert the authorities and your family will be murdered by terrorists.

If you value your family's lives more than the President's and believe his death will guarantee their safety, you will commit ''one more sin'' and pray to Jesus for forgiveness.

Praying for forgiveness ahead of committing a sin is cheap grace. It renders Jesus's sacrifice a cheap thing.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let me be more succinct. Who do you value more, your family or the President?

It's a bit more than that. Do you value your moral character?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is actually an interesting question for christians.

The bible says not to kill. But it also says something along the lines of laying down your life for someone is ok. So my thing has always been if a robber broke into my house and had a gun, I'd kill him to protect my family. Thus God would not be upset because he know I was protecting them.

But in the case of this question I am not per say killing in self defense. I am being ordered to in order to save my family. So if I did so anyways would God see what I did as self defense to protect my family? Or would he see it as murder since I had a choice not to? BUt then what would he say about me letting my family die because I refuse to carry out what I was told to do? I'd not be protecting them.

In the end I wouldn't kill anyone whos innocent (even if I don't like them). If anything I'd probably try to free my family and kill as many (and lay down my life) to let my family escape. Thats my only plausible thing I could do since I would refuse to kill an innocent man (the president).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,556.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens

It's a bad hypothetical to answer that question, it assumes you can trust terrorists trying to kill the president.

If there was some kind of weird industrial issue where I could throw a switch and vent poison gas into the presidents room and save my family, then I'd save my family and deal with my guilty conscience.

I'm curious how you justify it to yourself? Your writing seems to have a kind of glee about murdered people, in order to repent of any wrong doing (be you atheist or Christian) you need to accept that what you did was wrong... i don't see you doing that.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The moment the OP mentioned Barry Soetoro I knew that he is here to vent his hatred for Obama.

1016148_538380656249642_1508868620_n.jpg

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would operate on the assumption that the terrorists are bad faith actors and would kill my family whether I killed the President or not.

I also highly suspect that killing the President is not as easy as it sounds unless you have special access, and even then you're likely to end up unsuccessful AND dead or imprisoned, in which case the terrorists will go on doing what they want.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Killing the Doofus in the Oval Office is as inconsequential as killing a homeless person.

I would hope any Christian would disagree. Human life is a gift from almighty God, and murder (regardless of President or homeless) is a sin against God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paxton25

Forgiven
Aug 27, 2010
✟17,837.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The moment the OP mentioned Barry Soetoro I knew that he is here to vent his hatred for Obama.

You have no basis for that inference. This is what I wrote:

''Actually, it (the comical photo of the Obama rodeo clown) is (relevant to this discussion). While the President of the United States was once regarded as the most powerful man in the Free World, he is now merely a puppet of Wall Street and Corporate America along with the Military Industrial Complex that is hellbent on global conquest and is currently trashing the world.

Killing the Doofus in the Oval Office is as inconsequential as killing a homeless person. The Police States of America marches on, left foot, right foot, no matter who is President. The NSA, DHS, TSA, FBI, FEMA, IRS, & the FED see to that.

In the days of John F. Kennedy, it mattered who was elected President of the United States. That is no longer the case.

When I saw the promo for Hostages, I thought to myself, ''Where's the drama? I'd do it in a heartbeat. There's nothing special or genuine about Barry Soetoro whatsoever. They'll just find another clown to read from the teleprompter.''

The ''Doofus'' before Barack Obama was George W. Bush--same poop, different pile.

My contempt is for the Synagogue of Satan who now runs the Police States of America. If I were presented an ultimatum and the means to kill them all or kill a cockroach, the cockroach would live.

The Christian thing to do in the Hostages situation is to alert the authorities and pray that wherever your family is, they would look to Jesus to deliver them and trust Him so that you might be reunited with them, if not soon, then in the afterlife. Deep down, I think all of us know that's what we should do in that situation (alert the authorities and save the President).

I guess that's why I never became a pastor, even though I have an M.Div. I love God, I love the Scriptures, but somewhere along the way, I lost the love a pastor needs to shepherd a flock. I have the heart of Jonah; I can barely stand myself. Right now, I'm just going through the motions, hoping that I die in service to the Lord--the sooner, the better.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You have no basis for that inference. This is what I wrote:

When I saw the promo for Hostages, I thought to myself, ''Where's the drama? I'd do it in a heartbeat. There's nothing special or genuine about Barry Soetoro whatsoever. They'll just find another clown to read from the teleprompter.''
I bolded the Barry Soetoro for you. Only people who hate Obama use that name (birthers, etc.). Although I tend to agree with you that the POTUS does not have the power but this is applicable to all countries; it is not the king who has the power but his confidants. :wave:

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Killing the Doofus in the Oval Office is as inconsequential as killing a homeless person
Really? That's not hateful to say that it's inconsequential to kill that doofus? Your world must be very different to my world, because in my world I don't talk about any killing as being "inconsequential". It's also hateful towards homeless people, btw, because evidently you believe they are worthless.

My contempt is for the Synagogue of Satan who now runs the Police States of America. If I were presented an ultimatum and the means to kill them all or kill a cockroach, the cockroach would live.
I'd like to know where in the New Testament you see any justfication in just going out and killing whoever you feel justified in killing. :SMH:

Upvote 0

Paxton25

Forgiven
Aug 27, 2010
✟17,837.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really? That's not hateful to say that it's inconsequential to kill that doofus? Your world must be very different to my world, because in my world I don't talk about any killing as being ''inconsequential.'' It's also hateful towards homeless people, btw, because evidently you believe they are worthless.

I'd like to know where in the New Testament you see any justfication in just going out and killing whoever you feel justified in killing. :SMH:

It must be nice to be so perfect and self righteous.
I guess Jesus died for everyone but YOU.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus died for everyone; even hateful people like you who completely ignore His teachings and say that ending a human life is "inconsequential".

Where do you get off taking Hetta to task for supposedly being "self-righteous"?
Ringo

Upvote 0