If you were God, why might you place the Sabbath Commandment BETWEEN 1-3 God & 5-10 Neighbour

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
When we catalogue the 10 commandments we find

Commandments 1-3 = Love to God

4th commandment = Sabbath (made for man to worship the creator, to enter into Gods rest)

Commandments 5-10 = Love to thy Neighbour

What is the significance of the position of the Sabbath commandment in this location amongst the moral laws written in stone by the finger of God at Sinai? If you were to put yourself in God's shoes, and basing your answer on issues such as

-the overall plan of salvation as outlined in the Bible
- the contexts of various scriptural references used
- avoiding copying and pasting copious amounts of unnecessary text (seems to happen a lot here)

Why might you (as God) put the Sabbath commandment in this location in the moral law?

I am not looking for an argument about whether or not we should or should not keep the Sabbath. This is simply about the location of the 4th commandment and its relevance to the overall Biblical story about the creation of the world, the fall, and the Gospel of Jesus - the plan of salvation!

For example, i have a theory that the Sabbath is an essential link in our salvation because if we do not love our neighbour, we cannot love God. Therefore, the location of the Sabbath commandment between 1-3&5-10 is a critical part of the Gospel and that is why is it found in this location.

To illustrate part of my basis for this theory is the parable of the Sheep and the Goats...in Matthew 25:

…39 "When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’ 40And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’ 41Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels"

A further reference in my theory is the question by the pharasee who was an expert in law in Matthew 22:36 “Teacher, which commandment is the greatest in the Law?” Jesus answered...

“ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’e 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’f 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

If Gods law is a law of love, and the act of worship is a reciprocation of that, then to me this seems like a logical place for the location of the 4th commmandment!

So what we in effect have is the following:

God - SABBATH - Man

JEsus said "I am the Lord of the Sabbath".

Based on my theory, this means that the Sabbath forms part of/ or perhaps even IS the intercessory between man and God! So when Jesus said, I come to fulfill the law, he came to bridge the gap between Commandments 1-3 and 5-10!

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

4th commandment = Sabbath (made for man to worship the creator, to enter into Gods rest)

What is the significance of the position of the Sabbath commandment in this location amongst the moral laws written in stone by the finger of God at Sinai? If you were to put yourself in God's shoes, and basing your answer on issues such as

- avoiding copying and pasting copious amounts of unnecessary text (seems to happen a lot here)

Why might you (as God) put the Sabbath commandment in this location in the moral law?

I am not looking for an argument about whether or not we should or should not keep the Sabbath. This is simply about the location of the 4th commandment and its relevance to the overall Biblical story about the creation of the world, the fall, and the Gospel of Jesus - the plan of salvation!

For example, i have a theory that the Sabbath is an essential link in our salvation because if we do not love our neighbour, we cannot love God. Therefore, the location of the Sabbath commandment between 1-3&5-10 is a critical part of the Gospel and that is why is it found in this location.

To illustrate part of my basis for this theory is the parable of the Sheep and the Goats...in Matthew 25:

…39 "When did we see You sick or in prison and visit You?’ 40And the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’ 41Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels"

Good point and it is interesting that the Sabbath commandment to reference kindness toward others as well as honor toward God.

Upvote 0

AdamjEdgar

Apr 11, 2021
Melbourne
✟17,432.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The first three are not about love, they are about duty. Likewise, are the last six.

Bob S...you have not only NOT answered the question, your point is completely irrelevant to it.

All i have done is start off the thought process by posting my theory as to why God put the Sabbath Commandment where he did. What i now want is your theory on why the Sabbath commandment is where it is...between commandments about God, and commandments about your neighbour (or man)!

Please do not argue it shouldnt be there...the fact is, God placed in at number 4 where it is and to argue against that is pointless and mute actually.

So Bob S ...IF YOU WERE GOD,

1. Why might you put the Sabbath Commandment between 1-3 & 5-10.

Your answer needs to use scriptural referencing to support your reason for this

You can argue all you like about whether or not we are supposed to keep the moral law or indeed what the cataloging of them is...however, that does not address my question!

i ask that you directly answer the question!

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The first three are not about love, they are about duty. Likewise, are the last six.

You have a theory and I have truth. 1Jn3:19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

There isn't any "Sabbath link" in believing and doing Jesus' command and if we believe and love John proclaims we are of the truth. That doesn't jive with what Adventism teaches now does it?

There are indeed about love (not duty) ...

John 14:21
Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him."

John 14:23
Jesus replied, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.

John 15:10
If you keep My commandments, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and remain in His love.

1 John 2:3
By this we can be sure that we have come to know Him: if we keep His commandments.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome,

2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the very commandment you have heard from the beginning, that you must walk in love.

Kept out of Love .... not duty.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There are indeed about love (not duty) ...

John 14:21
Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him."

John 14:23
Jesus replied, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.

John 15:10
If you keep My commandments, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and remain in His love.

1 John 2:3
By this we can be sure that we have come to know Him: if we keep His commandments.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome,

2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the very commandment you have heard from the beginning, that you must walk in love.

Kept out of Love .... not duty.
Yes, even within the Ten God tells us they are about love.
Exodus 20:6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

I know the OP wants to keep it about the placement of Commandment #4. There is a lot of significance with Commandment #4. It's the only Commandment that uses the word "holy". It's the longest commandment. The only one where God uses the word "Remember"
And has God's Seal:

His Name: The Lord thy God
His Title: Creator
His Territory: Heaven and Earth

Ezekiel 20:20 hallow My Sabbaths, and they will be a sign between Me and you, that you may know that I am the Lord your God.’

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What does the Bible say about the 4th commandment.

Just as circumcision was the "sign" of the Abrahamic Covenant, the 4th commandment was the "sign" of the covenant given to the children of Israel at Mount Sinai written on stone tablets.
(Deuteronomy 5:1-22)

Exo_31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Exo_31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

I do not have to be circumcised, because Christ was circumcised for me.

He also kept the Sinai Covenant perfectly for me, which is something only one man has ever done.

Is your salvation linked to keeping the Sabbath day perfectly? If it is, you are doomed.

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Last edited:
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Just as circumcision was the "sign" of the Abrahamic Covenant, the 4th commandment was the "sign" of the covenant given to the children of Israel at Mount Sinai written on stone tablets.

Exo_31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Exo_31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

He also kept the Sinai Covenant perfectly for me, which is something only one man has ever done.

Is your salvation linked to keeping the Sabbath day perfectly. If it is, you are doomed.

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

This is where it really helps to understand the different laws in the Bible. There are different laws and not all are weighted the same. You used circumcision as your example. Do you see anywhere in God's Ten Commandments that circumcision is a requirement. Exodus 20. Just like many in those days were arguing about the same subject the apostle Paul clarified this matter very plainly.

1 Corinthians 7:19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.

Another fallacy is that faith voids God's laws- Paul cleared that up too- Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law. Romans 3:31

Your arguments are not new, but do you want to be one of the people the disciples are trying to help save and one that argues with them that you know better?

When you have faith in Jesus you are not going to question when God tells us to obey.

Revelations 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Is your salvation linked to keeping the Sabbath day perfectly. If it is, you are doomed.

Yes, Jesus kept all covenants .... Jesus also kept all the law .... so does that mean we can ignore all the law (Mount Sinai written on stone tablets given just to the Jews) as well?

If not ... then how is it to dismiss the 4th?

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Jesus kept all covenants .... Jesus also kept all the law .... so does that mean we can ignore all the law (Mount Sinai written on stone tablets given just to the Jews) as well?

If not ... then how is it to dismiss the 4th?

We are not to "dismiss" the Sinai Covenant.

It has been made "obsolete" by the New Covenant in Hebrews 8:13.

We are not come to Mount Sinai in Hebrews 12:18, but are come instead to the New Covenant of Mount Sion in Hebrews 12:22-24.

Paul told the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage" in Galatians 4:24-31.
Have you done this?

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just like many in those days were arguing about the same subject the apostle Paul clarified this matter very plainly.

1 Corinthians 7:19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.

In context.

This passage is referring to the commandment of God to circumcise during the time of Abraham.

1Co 7:17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.
1Co 7:18 Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised.
1Co 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
1Co 7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
1Co 7:21 Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.
1Co 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
1Co 7:23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
1Co 7:24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

What percentage of your salvation comes from your works? ______________ %

• Useful
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are not to "dismiss" the Sinai Covenant.

It has been made "obsolete" by the New Covenant in Hebrews 8:13.

We are not come to Mount Sinai in Hebrews 12:18, but are come instead to the New Covenant of Mount Sion in Hebrews 12:22-24.

Paul told the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage" in Galatians 4:24-31.
Have you done this?

The book of Hebrews describes the new covenant as better (not new) than the old covenant (Heb. 8:1-2, 6, NRSV). The obvious question, then, is Why did God establish the old covenant if it was faulty? The problem was not with the covenant but with the response of the people to it.

If we do not view Paul's words in Galatians 4:21-31 as speaking about the ceremonial mosaic law as the law of bondage, we will run into a contradiction with Exodus 20:2.

Nehemiah 9:13Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In context.

This passage is referring to the commandment of God to circumcise during the time of Abraham.

1Co 7:17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.
1Co 7:18 Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised.
1Co 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
1Co 7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
1Co 7:21 Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.
1Co 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
1Co 7:23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
1Co 7:24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

What percentage of your salvation comes from your works? ______________ %

There is the literal circumcision that is part of the Law of Moses and Circumcision of the heart that is a sign you are of Christ. When you are of Christ you obey God's laws.

Romans 2:25 For circumcision is indeed profitable if you keep the law; but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 Therefore, if an uncircumcised man keeps the righteous requirements of the law, will not his uncircumcision be counted as circumcision? 27 And will not the physically uncircumcised, if he fulfills the law, judge you who, even with your written code and circumcision, are a transgressor of the law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; 29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.

Did you catch that? Someone who is “called a Jew” because he is a physical descendant of Abraham, and yet who lives as a lawbreaker, “is not a Jew”—at least, not in God’s eyes. His “circumcision is made uncircumcision.” It is revoked. Thus to God, he is a Gentile. And a believing Gentile, who through faith keeps “the righteousness of the law,” his uncircumcision is counted for circumcision. Thus to God, he is a Jew.'

Which Paul also says: Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. Galatians 3:7

God's Israel which is God's "people" (not a nationality) keeps all of God's laws including the 4th Commandment that God asked us to "REMEMBER" His Sabbath day and to keep holy.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we do not view Paul's words in Galatians 4:21-31 as speaking about the ceremonial mosaic law as the law of bondage, we will run into a contradiction with Exodus 20:2.

What did Paul actually say?

Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Gal 4:27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
Gal 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
Gal 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

This is in complete agreement with what Paul said in chapter 3 of the same book.

Here Paul said the law was "added" 430 years "after" the promise made to Abraham "until" the seed (Christ) could come to whom the promise was made.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

The passage above confirms the temporary nature of the Sinai Covenant.

Deuteronomy 5:3 proves the ten commandments were not given at an earlier time. It was "added" after the promise made to Abraham, as Paul said above.

Deu 5:3 The LORD made not this covenant with our fathers, but with us, even us, who are all of us here alive this day.

This is in perfect agreement with what Paul said below.

2Co 3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
2Co 3:7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,
2Co 3:8
how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you are of Christ you obey God's laws.

If we can obey the law perfectly, why did Paul have to correct Peter in the passage below?

Paul Opposes Peter

Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Gal 2:13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

--------------------------------------

What percentage of your salvation comes from your own works? ________ %

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If we can obey the law perfectly, why did Paul have to correct Peter in the passage below?

Paul Opposes Peter

Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Gal 2:13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
Gal 2:14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

I don't think you have full understanding of this passage.

Out of respect for the OP we are way off topic and he asked us to keep it on topic, so if you want to continue this discussion why don't you create a new post. Thanks.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Paul Opposes Peter

Our works by ourselves are filthy rags ... it is Christ's works in the believer ... the Holy Spirit working to help them keep the law .... we stumble here and there but He will complete HIS work.

Philippians 1:6
New Living Translation
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

Keeping the law out of love is not a work/our work.

What Does the Bible Say About Keep The Commandments?

Are you denying the work Christ is doing in you?

Is it ok for you/us to murder, lie, covet etc. Is it ok to worship other gods graven images etc?

Without the law we would not know what sin is.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What Does the Bible Say About Keep The Commandments?

Are you denying the work Christ is doing in you?

Is it ok for you/us to murder, lie, covet etc. Is it ok to worship other gods graven images etc?

Without the law we would not know what sin is.

Your source above quotes 1 John 2:4, but ignores the end of chapter 3.
Is it really looking for the truth?

What are "his commandments" in this letter?

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

This is much like the old "Bait-and-Switch" strategy, often used by used car salesmen, when someone tries to switch one set of commandments in the place of another set of commandments.

Some sources talk about keeping the 4th commandment, but do they keep the 9th commandment?

What percentage of your salvation is based upon your works? _________ %

(Think about the thief on the cross beside of Christ.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

A further reference in my theory is the question by the pharasee who was an expert in law in Matthew 22:36 “Teacher, which commandment is the greatest in the Law?” Jesus answered...

“ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’e 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’f 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

If Gods law is a law of love, and the act of worship is a reciprocation of that, then to me this seems like a logical place for the location of the 4th commmandment!

So what we in effect have is the following:

God - SABBATH - Man

JEsus said "I am the Lord of the Sabbath".

Based on my theory, this means that the Sabbath forms part of/ or perhaps even IS the intercessory between man and God! So when Jesus said, I come to fulfill the law, he came to bridge the gap between Commandments 1-3 and 5-10!

The first five commandments parallel the same principles of the last five, but are expressed differently when in regard to our vertical and horizontal relationships. For example, "I am the Lord your God" parallels the same principle as "You shall not commit murder". While we can't murder God, we can refuse to recognize Him as God and live as though we would be better off if He didn't exist, which is the sentiment behind committing murder. Likewise, the command against idolatry is to our vertical relationship with God what the command against adultery is to our horizontal relationships with our neighbors.

The command to keep the Sabbath holy parallels command against bearing false witness, so by keeping the Sabbath holy we are bearing witness that there is a Creator who created the world in six days and who rested on the 7tb day, that He is holy, and that He saves His people out of bondage, while breaking the Sabbath is bearing false witness against God by denying the truth of those things.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

You have a theory and I have truth. 1Jn3:19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

There isn't any "Sabbath link" in believing and doing Jesus' command and if we believe and love John proclaims we are of the truth. That doesn't jive with what Adventism teaches now does it?

In Exodus 20:6, God wanted His people to love Him and obey His commandment, so the proceeding commandments are directly connected to what it means to love God.

Upvote 0