If you knew orthodoxy was true would you convert ?

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,464.00
Faith
Christian
One perhaps moderate priest (he was normally the strictest in my view but I think because he focuses his mission on his people as he was formally Protestant but others are more strict who were behind his strictness. He still strict but his approach is different) said the below. Maybe I should not share as it was a private message and is only understood by me. Because I know he believes Protestants need to be orthodox but he is trying to say if orthodox is saved after their lack of defending orthodoxy then Protestants are too so he don't judge them. It is a hope. But he don't believe we don't need to repent and that maybe we not saved. Despite what he says below we believe Jesus wants you to have communion if you can

The priest said this quote

"If we love all people then we want them to share in the fulness of God's love. This means that we show those who do not understand just how deep and rich the life of the Holy Spirit is in the Church. Sometimes this means criticising some non-Orthodox views in a gentle way, because most Protestants have not chosen to be non-Orthodox, it is where they were brought up, or else they have not met Orthodox. But we also have to show our own people that we cannot become Orthodox by reading Protestant materials. I do not believe Protestants go to Hell, unless the judgement of God sends some there, together with some Orthodox. I believe that most Protestants are like catechumens in the Church, not yet full members, but not separated from the Church either. God bless you."

We believe we don't need Protestant material because if we are the true church God will make sure we know everything we need

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thankyou
If you believe scripture teaches communion would you convert to orthodoxy ? What is stopping you ?

No, because I'm philosophical and ecumenical in my Christian outlook. Besides, I'm fine for the moment right where I'm at in the Restoration Movement. ;)

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
We believe we don't need Protestant material because if we are the true church God will make sure we know everything we need

And "protestant material", by and large with some smaller disputed interpretations matches up with Orthodox,Catholic, other mainline denominational belief. The true church in my estimation is the Church of God, the church of all true believers. I do find it distressing that in this time and age, there are those that stick to such ideas. But usually that comes from the hard-core conservative protestants then anything else.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,464.00
Faith
Christian
The priest believes most of you would consider orthodoxy when he says

"I believe that most Protestants are like catechumens in the Church, not yet full members, but not separated from the Church either. God bless you."

In my opinion you are required to seek to obey the whole truth.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The priest believes most of you would consider orthodoxy when he says

"I believe that most Protestants are like catechumens in the Church, not yet full members, but not separated from the Church either. God bless you."

In my opinion you are required to seek to obey the whole truth.

...and I thought I already was. :rolleyes: (My Bad!!)

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
And narrow viewpoints such as his led to violence in the middle ages between protestants and catholics. When it became agenda and politics rather then faith.

This is less of biblical faith then it is personal interpretation seeking to raise something else up to be superior. and the superiority argument in this day and age is a rather blind, unhelpful attitude to have regarding the Christian faith.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou
If you believe scripture teaches communion would you convert to orthodoxy ? What is stopping you ?
Yes, I would.

I don't think it does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,464.00
Faith
Christian
This is one of the things I said to the priest before he responded

"When Jesus said My sheep do not hear false teachers it means after hearing them they can spot it and ignore it I don't think it means not know anything about what they say. Therefore it is the churches job to show how evil some tv preacher are and expose them totally"

I will add now something not a work of God will not prosper in the minds of orthodox and those who seek the truth if it was false and we attempt to expose it

Because if we can't hear at all we can not learn. But maybe he thinks orthodox should be sure they have the truth

But we are Born of God will not man.
The person who absolutely seeks the truth will find. He has to be honest in his study of scripture

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This is one of the things I said to the priest before he responded

"When Jesus said My sheep do not hear false teachers it means after hearing them they can spot it and ignore it I don't think it means not know anything about what they say. Therefore it is the churches job to show how evil some tv preacher are and expose them totally"

Because if we can't hear at all we can not learn. But maybe he thinks orthodox should be sure they have the truth

But we are Born of God will not man.
The person who absolutely seeks the truth will find. He has to be honest in bis study of scripture
What if I've done that and disagree with Orthodoxy?

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I already have. I am an Eastern Catholic, and we believe all that the Orthodox Christians believe about the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thankyou
It would not be necessary.

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise." ~ Galatians 3:27-29

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,464.00
Faith
Christian
What if I've done that and disagree with Orthodoxy?

Then you may be fine I think we may believe atleast me and my dad that some or all if worthily so who are sincerely ignorant or believe what they believe but have essentials will be saved

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Then you may be fine I think we may believe atleast me and my dad that some or all if worthily so who are sincerely ignorant or believe what they believe but have essentials will be saved
How do you know you're not sincerely ignorant?

• Agree
Reactions: Monk Brendan
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,464.00
Faith
Christian
I already have. I am an Eastern Catholic, and we believe all that the Orthodox Christians believe about the Eucharist.

You also need to sincerely believe things like immaculate conception not just believe because church teaches. If a Catholic is not comfortable with some of his church beliefs and has orthodox beliefs or discovers it is true is he willing to convert to orthodoxy if they won't let him stay catholic?
I prefer Catholics to have orthodox beliefs while remaining in their community. They are just as equal as us
Or sincerely believe their church beliefs
Then again I'm not sure how essential those differences but I hold they can be saved if they believe it and We have problem with immaculate conception because if Mary can be born without sin why not all of us so we are less likely to sin and many children not needing baptism ? I'm not saying all or many unworthy to be condemned unbaptised children go to hell we don't know that but if they don't it is not because they have no sin
Other doctrines are against the gospel like believing non Christians can be saved or declaring which are saved
For our salvation we have to teach all need Christ and Christ is fair not to accept any to heaven as He says He is the only way to the Father
God will be fair even if we be wrong in some cases but we can't afford to be wrong about that

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,464.00
Faith
Christian
How do you know you're not sincerely ignorant?

If you ask about me maybe I am I doubt it. I may be in many things but not in communion

But sincere ignorance is when you have studied and you conclude jesus did not teach communion and even when others try to show you you don't agree with them but you don't try not to listen at all

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,464.00
Faith
Christian
It would not be necessary.

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise." ~ Galatians 3:27-29

That is a nice verse but one can say a true baptism requires that one knows what Christ requires about communion and is commited to obeying it before he is baptised

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟579,464.00
Faith
Christian
However we can be rich in theology but poor in practice we have to be both. That's why jesus said narrow is the way to life

Some think the parable of the rich man and Lazarus refers to rich man being strong in theology and poor man wanting some but leaving without nothing

Upvote 0