New castle
✟18,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In acts 15 from v. 23-29 we have the Holy Spirit and the apostles gathered to write a letter regarding the gentiles.

In it, this is written, "For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well."

As we can see clearly from God's word, there is no mention of keeping the Sabbath, that is done away with. Why do we gather then on Sunday? For thanking Him for what He's done and that He's paid the price so we no longer have to follow those traditions and rituals for one. Sunday should not be a religious duty, but it often are. It should be full of life because our God is not dead but living!

However, we should not judge our brothers and sisters in this way. Even those who esteemed one day above the other. "One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it." -Rom. 14:5-6

Christ Jesus died to set us free from the power of the law, He has already paid the requirement for us and fulfilled all righteousness. He rose again to show that He is the One who has power over all these things, laws and regulations are under Him. For even He, the Son of God is the "Lord of the Sabbath".

To those who would continue in keep these regulations, fine, keep them to yourselves and do it unto the Lord. Don't force your brothers or sisters to be tied into your yoke. Just as you would not force your vow upon another person so keep what you do for yourself unto the Lord. Regarding abstinence from marriage to work for God, the Lord Himself said, "All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given." -Matt. 19:11

I pray that we would be set free from the unnecessary burden that we will be more free to look unto Christ, the Author, and Finisher of our faith. In Jesus's name. Amen

God bless you
L Bravehart

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just a point of interest, the Lord's Day (Sunday) is not the same as the Sabbath. They never have been the same. Only recently did protestants begin to conflate the two. Think about Paul. He attended the synagogue on the Sabbath and yet met with believers on the 1st day of the week, Sunday.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In acts 15 from v. 23-29 we have the Holy Spirit and the apostles gathered to write a letter regarding the gentiles.

In it, this is written, "For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well."

As we can see clearly from God's word, there is no mention of keeping the Sabbath,

And no mention of "honor your father and mother" -- that then shows up in Eph 6:1-2.
And no mention of "do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7
And no mention of "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5, Matt 22
And no mention of "do not kill" which shows up in James 2

What is your point? that Acts 15 is some sort of "downsize your bible to just 1 paragraph please" sort of instruction??

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
However, we should not judge our brothers and sisters in this way. Even those who esteemed one day above the other. "One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it." -Rom. 14:5-6

ahh so then you do not "delete all the Bible except for 1 paragraph in Acts 15" for gentiles. Good to see it! Nice .

Rom 14 "one person observes one day above another -- another person observes every day" -
Gal 4:8-11 then proceeds to flat out condemn even ONE observance of a pagan holy day.

So then Rom 14 is only approving the observance of a Bible approved holy day - and we find that list in Lev 23 with the annual feast days. Observing one above another was a common practice in Paul's day as only 3 of those annual events were mandatory among the Jews. But admittedly some would have observed them all.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just a point of interest, the Lord's Day (Sunday) is not the same as the Sabbath. They never have been the same. Only recently did protestants begin to conflate the two. Think about Paul. He attended the synagogue on the Sabbath and yet met with believers on the 1st day of the week, Sunday.

Indeed there is no "week day one is the Lord's day text" in all of scripture. But there is the Jesus is "Lord of the Sabbath" text.

Every reference to Sabbath as a day of worship in the NT is to the seventh day. That includes Acts 18:4 where "Every Sabbath" both Jews and gentiles gather for gospel preaching.

How "instructive" that in Acts 13 it is GENTILES who - after hearing the Gospel preached in the synagogue on Sabbath - request that more gospel be preached to them "tomorrow on week day 1, the Lord's day"... oh no wait!! No they request that it be preached to them "the NEXT Sabbath"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christ Jesus died to set us free from the power of the law, He has already paid the requirement for us and fulfilled all righteousness. He rose again to show that He is the One who has power over all these things, laws and regulations are under Him. For even He, the Son of God is the "Lord of the Sabbath".

To those who would continue in keep these regulations, fine, keep them to yourselves

"Do we then make void the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! In fact we ESTABLISH the LAW" Rom 3:31

The NEW Covenant has the "LAW of God written on heart and mind" Jer 31:31-34 Hebrews 8:6-11 - instead of abolished ... instead of set aside... instead of optional... instead of ignored.

No wonder we have these examples in scripture --
"honor your father and mother" -- that then shows up in Eph 6:1-2.
"do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5, Matt 22
"do not kill" which shows up in James 2

"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19

Where the "Commandments of God" are those having the 5th commandment "as the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:1-2

"This IS the LOVE of God - that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:2-3

"the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

No wonder when Jesus said "if you enter into eternal life keep the Commandments" Matt 19
No wonder when he is asked "which ones" in Matt 19 He quotes directly from the TEN -- the same list Paul gives in Romans 13.

Upvote 0

66 Books

Oct 6, 2019
New castle
✟18,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ahh so then you do not "delete all the Bible except for 1 paragraph in Acts 15" for gentiles. Good to see it! Nice .

Rom 14 "one person observes one day above another -- another person observes every day" -
Gal 4:8-11 then proceeds to flat out condemn even ONE observance of a pagan holy day.

So then Rom 14 is only approving the observance of a Bible approved holy day - and we find that list in Lev 23 with the annual feast days. Observing one above another was a common practice in Paul's day as only 3 of those annual events were mandatory among the Jews. But admittedly some would have observed them all.

I thank God for your zeal and your deep relation to this topic. I do not delete all the Bible to one paragraph but it did "seemed good...being assembled with one accord" and also "it seemed good to the Holy Spirit." In chapter 15, they had a long discussion before this letter was written for the Gentiles. Regarding your comment here, we do not have to observe any day. But those who do, "unto the Lord" he does it as the Scripture has said and continues to say (see Romans 14). I am not advocating pagan holidays such as Halloween and the likes, I would advise not to participate in them actually.

However, the Scripture makes it clear to those who would like to impose these laws and observing these days on other people in this,

"Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they." -Acts 15:10-11

Christ paid the price for us to be redeemed from this law that you and I could not keep, nor anyone. Why should we impose this on others? But again, to the Lord and Him only, if you want to observe a day, do it unto the Lord.

God bless you,
L Bravehart

Upvote 0

66 Books

Oct 6, 2019
New castle
✟18,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Do we then make void the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! In fact we ESTABLISH the LAW" Rom 3:31

The NEW Covenant has the "LAW of God written on heart and mind" Jer 31:31-34 Hebrews 8:6-11 - instead of abolished ... instead of set aside... instead of optional... instead of ignored.

No wonder we have these examples in scripture --
"honor your father and mother" -- that then shows up in Eph 6:1-2.
"do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5, Matt 22
"do not kill" which shows up in James 2

"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19

Where the "Commandments of God" are those having the 5th commandment "as the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:1-2

"This IS the LOVE of God - that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:2-3

"the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

No wonder when Jesus said "if you enter into eternal life keep the Commandments" Matt 19
No wonder when he is asked "which ones" in Matt 19 He quotes directly from the TEN -- the same list Paul gives in Romans 13.

Here, I thank you for clarifying my post, I do not make void of the Law of God, I thank our Lord that He has paid the price for our ransom, fulfilling all righteousness so that in the New Covenant that you have said, His law is in our hearts and spirit.

Regarding Romans 3:31, what law is establish here? Why does the Scripture say in v.28 "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law?" and again in v.30 "Since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith." What? Are we justified before God by our keeping the law? But God knows we could not keep the law "for by the law is the knowledge of sin!"-v.20 What then is the law being establish at the end of the conclusion to Chapter 3? How will we be save and why is there still a law? "By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith."- Romans 3:27.

Christ Jesus came "to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba Father!". -Gal. 4:5-6 Christ is our hope from bondage "for we have not received the spirit of bondage". He is our answer! Christ our reigning King has given us His Spirit, His guide, for no one will be saved apart from faith in Christ, and this faith is a gift from God that all of our works will be by the Grace of God at work in us, "that no flesh will glory in His presence." Blessed be our Lord God Redeemer who alone redeems us from all power of bondage, let us praise and adore Him, the Lamb of God who was crucified and yet has risen again. Amen.

Pray for me,
L Bravehart

• Winner
Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Regarding Romans 3:31, what law is establish here? Why does the Scripture say in v.28 "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law?" and again in v.30 "Since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith." What? Are we justified before God by our keeping the law? But God knows we could not keep the law "for by the law is the knowledge of sin!"-v.20 What then is the law being establish at the end of the conclusion to Chapter 3?

It is the Law that condemns all mankind to hell according to Romans 3 and "defines" what sin is.

19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

The same Law referenced in Romans 7
7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, “You shall not covet.

The Law that says "Honor your father and mother" which is the first commandment with a promise -- Eph 6:1-2

The Law that is quoted from in Romans 13 by Paul ... i.e. from the TEN
Just as Christ quotes from that same law - before the cross - in Matthew 19

The one that says "do not take God's name in vain"

As Romans 7 and Jer 31:31-34 remind us - it is not a change in the law saying that we should not take God's name in vain --- but rather the change in the lost sinner who is then born again under the NEW Covenant with that same LAW of God - now written on heart and mind.

--- none of that is quoted in Acts 15.. which is ok .. it is just fine.. because Acts 15 is not a "Bible downsized to 1 paragraph for gentiles"

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is your point? that Acts 15 is some sort of "downsize your bible to just 1 paragraph please" sort of instruction??

That is found here!

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them,
for this is the Law and the Prophets.

• Haha
Reactions: 66 Books
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

66 Books

Oct 6, 2019
New castle
✟18,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is the Law that condemns all mankind to hell according to Romans 3 and "defines" what sin is.

19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

The same Law referenced in Romans 7
7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, “You shall not covet.

The Law that says "Honor your father and mother" which is the first commandment with a promise -- Eph 6:1-2

The Law that is quoted from in Romans 13 by Paul ... i.e. from the TEN
Just as Christ quotes from that same law - before the cross - in Matthew 19

The one that says "do not take God's name in vain"

As Romans 7 and Jer 31:31-34 remind us - it is not a change in the law saying that we should not take God's name in vain --- but rather the change in the lost sinner who is then born again under the NEW Covenant with that same LAW of God - now written on heart and mind.

--- none of that is quoted in Acts 15.. which is ok .. it is just fine.. because Acts 15 is not a "Bible downsized to 1 paragraph for gentiles"
I'm so glad that I found the person in my lifetime that is keeping 100% of the law at all time. God bless you brother, I hope you don't fail, 'cuz, ooh, what a pity if you miss even one part of the law. It would be a real shame! "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." - James 2:10

As for me, I'm just going to thank my God through Jesus Christ that He kept it for me. Praise God!
Lion Bravehart

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And no mention of "honor your father and mother" -- that then shows up in Eph 6:1-2.

Those laws are concerning morality and have been since before the Sinai covenant and will be through eternity. The ritual laws given Israel were for them only and ended with the ratification of the new covenant. The weekly Sabbath was a ritual law and part of the now defunct Sinai covenant. The Sinai covenant was given exclusively to one nation, Israel.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Those laws are concerning morality and have been since before the Sinai .

Yes the Law of God defines what sin is - Rom 3:19-20, 1 John 3:4 even in the NT
"He who breaks one breaks them all" James 2
It includes that unit of LAW where the 5th commandment "is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:1-2

EVEN though -

Do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 cannot be found before Sinai
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 cannot be found before Sinai

The Sinai covenant was given exclusively to one nation, Israel.

"do not take God's name in vain" made with Israel Ex 20:1-2
The NEW Covenant "made with Israel and Judah alone" Jer 31:31-34 and still true in the NT Heb 8:6-12

"He is not a Jew who is one outwardly - he is a Jew who is one INWARDLY" Romans 2

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John wrote in 1Jn3:19-24 something very special to me when I was severing ties with Adventism. Like SDAs today I assumed that there was a ten before commandments many places in scripture. John wrote the following that indeed keeping the commandments didn't refer to the ten commandments.

19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

What a beautiful promise. We know we are of the truth not by observing days, weeks months and years, but by believing and loving. Christianity is so very beautiful and simple, but because man wants to control man Christianity has, in some instances, become a farce.

It is no wonder Paul called the ten commandments the ministry of death. 2Cor3:7

Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes the Law of God defines what sin is - Rom 3:19-20, 1 John 3:4 even in the NT
"He who breaks one breaks them all" James 2
It includes that unit of LAW where the 5th commandment "is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:1-2

EVEN though -

Do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 cannot be found before Sinai
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 cannot be found before Sinai

"do not take God's name in vain" made with Israel Ex 20:1-2
The NEW Covenant "made with Israel and Judah alone" Jer 31:31-34 and still true in the NT Heb 8:6-12

"He is not a Jew who is one outwardly - he is a Jew who is one INWARDLY" Romans 2
Hi Bob, you wrote "Yes the Law of God defines what sin is -" then you write some of the ten commandments leaving the reader to think the law is only the ten. There were 613 commands in the Law. If you are hell bent to tell everyone we are under under the law then you have to include all of the commands directed to the individual. The ten do not tell us to love our neighbors. They do not tell us about the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, and temperance. It doesn't tell us anything about drunkenness or reveling, yet you tell us the ten commandments define sin. They don't come close to defining all the sins we could commit.

You tell us that love was not defined before Sinai. I believe it was very much defined. Look at the lives of the great men of the pre Sinai period. Abraham, Noah, Joseph, and many more. Adam sinned, but he was made in the image of God. He had to have had morality in his heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Bob, you wrote "Yes the Law of God defines what sin is -" then you write some of the ten commandments leaving the reader to think the law is only the ten.

I said it was included in the moral law of God known to Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-34 and included in the law written on the heart I also listed Lev 19:18 "love your neighbor" which is not in the TEN so your statement "leaving the reader to think the law is only the ten" is hard to follow -- where in the world do you get that kind of speculation?

There were 613 commands in the Law. If you are hell bent

There are 1050 in the NT..

What is your point of dragging hell into this?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The ten do not tell us to love our neighbors.

And neither does Acts 15.

The point is that Acts 15 is not some sort of odd "downsized Bible for gentiles"

Upvote 0