If you keep sinning after you are saved are you still saved?

Concord1968

LCMS Lutheran
Sep 29, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟23,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As I posted in another thread:

It's good to remember that works are worthless towards salvation because "all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment" in the sight of God. ALL our "good deeds" are, in fact, damnable sins, because we can't do them with purity of heart out of perfect love of God. No man EVER has. Every time we obey a commandment, whether from Moses or Christ, we commit a sin worthy of hell. Hence the need of Christ to do the perfect works for us. If our works counted for anything towards our salvation, there'd have been no need for the cross.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You need scripture to show that Christ has done it all? Seriously?

Why are you telling me that?

What you seem to be saying is we can do the following as a lifestyle and still get to heaven because Christ has done it all...

Question, Is that or is it not correct?

Question 2) And if that is so, why does the scripture say we will lose salvation if we do those sins?...Question 3) what, pray tell, am I misunderstanding about such simple scripture? And I use the term "salvation" there because I'm assuming for the moment you don't have some odd meaning for Not inheriting the Kingdom OD God and feel its something other than loss of salvation.

Same verse:

1 Cor 6:9-10 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor homosexual offenders, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I posted in another thread:

It's good to remember that works are worthless towards salvation because "all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment" in the sight of God. ALL our "good deeds" are, in fact, damnable sins, because we can't do them with purity of heart out of perfect love of God. No man EVER has. Every time we obey a commandment, whether from Moses or Christ, we commit a sin worthy of hell. Hence the need of Christ to do the perfect works for us. If our works counted for anything towards our salvation, there'd have been no need for the cross.

Are you saying we cannot do good?

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟83,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

What you seem to be saying is we can do the following as a lifestyle and still get to heaven because Christ has done it all...

Question 2) And if that is so, why does the scripture say we will lose salvation if we do those sins?...Question 3) what, pray tell, am I misunderstanding about such simple scripture? And I use the term "salvation" there because I'm assuming for the moment you don't have some odd meaning for Not inheriting the Kingdom OD God and feel its something other than loss of salvation.

Same verse:

1 Cor 6:9-10 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor homosexual offenders, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were.

In no way did Hammster imply what you are implying he said.

This is, again, why Paul had to ask if Christ was a promoter of sin.

Galatians is the point! Galatians 5:4, especially.

What is wrong with giving Christ all the Glory?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So a person walks up to you and ask you i want to go to heaven, what do i need to do.

So what do you tell that person what is your gospel you tell them to get to heaven.

Just as Jesus said when asked the same thing, obey the commandments. Do you think Jesus was wrong and if so could you please elaborate?

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟83,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just as Jesus said when asked the same thing, obey the commandments. Do you think Jesus was wrong and if so could you please elaborate?

What commandments, KennySiD?

Which one’s? Did it cross your mind Jesus was born under the Law? He crucified its charges against us in His flesh.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Same verse:

Where does that say we lose our salvation if we do those things?

Maybe if you look at the next verse it will clear things up.

Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.
— 1 Corinthians 6:11

• Agree
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In no way did Hammster imply what you are implying he said.

This is, again, why Paul had to ask if Christ was a promoter of sin.

Galatians is the point! Galatians 5:4, especially.

What is wrong with giving Christ all the Glory?

See the term "seems" there?

Since you want to pop in here for others, would you mind also answering the questions in that post? Consider it directed a you too.:)

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟83,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Since you want to pop in here for others, would you mind also answering the questions in that post? Consider it directed a you too.:)

All 3 questions answered with scripture...

Galatians 2:20

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
You are not saved
Contrast that with
Eph 2:8 "it is by grace you have been saved, through faith"
John 5:24 "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."

Upon coming to faith in Christ, one's salvation status is finalized, as if he had already passed from death to life.

• Winner
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I didn't mean to claim that we can be sinless after salvation but surely a Christian can not LIVE in sin after salvation right? That's mainly what my question is. Like just how much can we sin after salvation to remain saved? I do not believe that a Christian can lose salvation but I do believe that if a Christian sins all the time that there is something wrong there. Because the Holy Spirit is supposed to be working in their lives not only convicting them of their sin but hes also supposed to be working in their lives to make them sin LESS. Am I right?
Upon being born of God the person loses the ability to "live in sin".

1John 3:9 "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God."

• Winner
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where does that say we lose our salvation if we do those things?

I touched in that very thing, yet you seem to have not even see that. But no matter, as i keep saying, since you refuse to answer questions....we aren't going to get anywhere. It's a one sided debate. I gave you every opportunity.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟83,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Alternate approach...

As the Angel Of Death passed over the Hebrews... the Obedience That Saved their first born was to put the blood above their door post.

If one of them would have gone around telling everyone how the blood on the doorpost wasn’t enough to save their first born, and failed to place the blood above their doorpost... their first born would have died, while the people that simply put the blood above their doorpost didn’t lose their first born.

The Obedience was putting the blood above their doorpost!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟83,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Potter doesn’t fail! The Potter is the Master Craftsman...

No fool in their right mind believes Jesus won’t keep His promise to save them and give them a new heart!

It hurts to have a new heart, because it makes us like eggs in a world of stones! But what do we do? We lean on Christ to do as He promises.

How this is not understood, baffles me!

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟83,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
@Kenny'sID

You misquoted me. Would you kindly cap off my words, to separate them from yours?

All Love in Jesus Christ to you.

Post 335

I said “What commandments, KennySiD?”

But your following reply isn’t separated from my quote. :)

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Living with your girl friend for instance, and no longer considering it an issue because once saved always saved....no problem. In that case you might as well be planning on sinning. If I need to actually explain that is "living in sin" or "practicing sin" it is.
OSAS see's none of that as a problem to salvation. Others of us don't see how we can't see that as a problem.
Ah yes, Kenney always making these false allegations about what all those who hold a OSAS position believe. Inventing hypothetical scenarios that don't actually exist given that, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God." 1John 3:9 Given that those who have been born of God have lost the ability to "live in sin", it just doesn't occur. Consequently 1John teaches us that if people do live in sin, then they had not been born of God to begin with.

Which is quite different than what you alleged all OSAS proponents believe. As for the danger of promoting anti-OSAS dogma, what I've noticed is those proponents end up promoted a trust in their own works to save them, rather than trusting in Christ. The danger of that is that under the gospel such people are disqualified. It's a different gospel.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alternate approach...

As the Angel Of Death passed over the Hebrews... the Obedience That Saved their first born was to put the blood above their door post.

If one of them would have gone around telling everyone how the blood on the doorpost wasn’t enough to save their first born, and failed to place the blood above their doorpost... their first born would have died, while the people that simply put the blood above their doorpost didn’t lose their first born.

The Obedience was putting the blood above their doorpost!

How in the world is that relative because no one did that, they had no reason too say it wasn't enough, so why would they do that? And we aren't talking about doorposts here, not Jesus's blood or whatever you think you are meaning with that? Te blood was simply a mark so they know what house not to mess with.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Nowhere does the Bible speak of the soul as an immortal entity capable of living apart from our body. Neither does it speak of the spirit as an entity which can exist independent of our physical nature. We are not made of independent parts temporarily connected, but of body, soul, and spirit in one indivisible whole.
On the other hand Paul says, "Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked.
4 For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it."
2Cor 5:1-9

Likewise he says, "If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." Php 1:22,24

Upvote 0