• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured If you keep sinning after you are saved are you still saved?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Neostarwcc, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Grip Docility

Grip Docility Well-Known Member

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Luke 22:42

And... He never stumbled or had it in His heart to disobey. He did what we can’t.

He maintained His will in surrender to the Father without falter.

:oldthumbsup:

2. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+400
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    I see a lot of people who believe not until they die. Will they know if they have eternal life. I guess they are waiting to see if they were able to be sin free in their lives, after believing in Christ or making Christ lord of their life or how ever they say it.

3. Grip Docility

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I guess the trick is to hope to die when a person has not sinned for that day?

Is there a contractual agreement and failure to repent clause?

This seems more complicated than a legal contract.

IDK

4. marineimaging

marineimaging Texas Baptist with attitude

+1,113
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Read about David. Did he sin and God still not forget him? Did Paul sin? According to a lot of people if Paul disobeyed the laws of man then he sinned as we are instructed to obey.

5. SavedByGrace3

SavedByGrace3 Whoever calls on the name of Jesus will be saved Supporter

+1,193
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    If I live to be 100, that is another 35 years... on the last day of my life when it is finally over... I will be confessing my sin, being forgiven, and being cleansed of all unrighteousness.
    That is the normal Christian life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  6. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,327
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Tell me when you are able to keep from thinking one evil thought all this week, or that you are always, without fail, loving God with all your heart, mind and strength, and loving everyone else in the world as you would have them love you.

7. Oscarr

+7,327
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    All that could be off topic.

8. Oscarr

+7,327
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Still off topic.

9. Oscarr

+7,327
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Actually the Calvinist doctrine of justification by faith and progressive sanctification is very simple and straightforward and is closest to reflecting what Paul is talking about. This is come about by many godly, faithful, and Bible-loving Reformed and Puritan divines who lived closer to God and spent more time in the Word and in prayer than I could dream about! These ones who believe in instant sanctification by faith is like saying, "Everyone is out of step except you and me, and I'm not sure about you!"

10. Grip Docility

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I hang my head in forum shame. I will no longer be off topic.

Though, technically a post about being off topic is off topic. :p

11. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+400
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    A believer receiving eternal life (as many like to say, salvation) is not contingent on what we do before or even after we have been given eternal life (saved).

Because we are counted righteous by what Jesus did (His death and resurrection). Took away the sin of the world.

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

The Messiah was successful in His task, He did not fail.

Now for the believer who continues in sin.
    Their actions as Christians do have consequences, both here and in eternity in heaven.

God requires that we discipline those in the church who continue in a life of sin.

1 Corinthians 5 speaks about a believer that is living in sin and Paul states what to do with this person and not once does Paul state that this person will loose their salvation or was never a true believer to began with. Paul states to put this person out of the church, to turn him over to satan.

So ultimately, if they refuse to stop sinning, we are to put them out of the church.

This is for the destruction of their flesh, not that they would lose their salvation and some may not repent and be restored. The unrepentant may loose their physical life on earth (Ananias and Sapphira),.

But disciplining believers with the ultimate goal of restoring them to fellowship (as Jesus did with Peter). Sadly, this is rarely done in today’s church.

We also face consequences in heaven, for what we do here on earth as believers. Again, our salvation is not in question, but the level of rewards and position we will receive in heaven depend on how we serve God while on earth.

12. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+2,056
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Sheol

When the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek in ancient Alexandria around 200 BC, the word "Hades" (the Greek underworld) was substituted for Sheol. This is reflected in the New Testament where Hades is both the underworld of the dead and the personification of it.

She’ol (/ˈʃiːoʊl/ SHEE-ohl, /-əl/; Hebrew שְׁאוֹל Šəʾōl), in the Hebrew Bible, is a place of darkness to which all the dead go, both the righteous and the unrighteous, regardless of the moral choices made in life, a place of stillness and darkness cut off from life but not God because as per written in Book of Psalm 139:8 "If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there."

And ... neither are eternally dead yet.... that's why Jesus himself refers to it as sleep ..... because He has the power of resurrection and both the saved and the unsaved will be woken from their sleep in the 1st and 2nd resurrections, just like he did with Lazarus ... I go to wake him up.

But while they are asleep, both awaiting resurrection, they don't know anything.

Ecclesiastes 9

5For the living know that they will die (earthly death), but the dead (from earthly death) know nothing. They have no further reward, because the memory of them is forgotten.

You don't think Jesus knew the difference between sleep (awaiting resurrection) and death?

John 11

12His disciples replied, “Lord, if he is sleeping, he will get better.” 13They thought that Jesus was talking about actual sleep, but He was speaking about the death of Lazarus.

14So Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead, 15and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.”

There are no in-between places. You're either alive on earth or asleep in the grave awaiting for resurrection.

13. Grip Docility

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    We’re off topic. Start an OP if you would like to continue. Drop my name. :)

14. Oscarr

+7,327
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I have always wondered if, when Jesus comes again, He might find me sitting on the toilet! Now, that would be embarrassing! :)

Or how about rising straight off the toilet in the rapture? Just imagine flying up through the air to meet the Lord with no pants on not have any opportunity to wipe my bottom with the toilet tissue!

15. Oscarr

+7,327
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I guess that finding your answer to my off topic post about your post being off topic, funny, would be even more off topic! :)

16. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,996
    Christian
    Single
    Of course it's contingent upon what we do after. Do the following all you like without repentance and see what happens. Actually, you don't have to wait to see what happens, it tells us right there in the scripture so, don't be deceived as you apparently have been:

1 Cor 6:9-10
    Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor homosexual offenders, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were.

If I'm wrong or the scripture is wrong, please explain how we can actually do that which the bible clearly says we cannot, and still inherit the Kingdom of God? Because I'm just not seeing it.

17. Oscarr

+7,327
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I got a bit angry and kicked the cat today, so I'd better stay away from church in case I get kicked out!

18. Oscarr

+7,327
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    When I got converted, I knew not to do any of those things, because I was taught that if I did those things as my lifestyle, it would mean that my conversion is false.

When I was with my last Charismatic church in the 1970s, one of the elders was caught in a homosexual encounter and arrested by the police. He was disciplined right away and stood down from eldership. When I joined the Anglican church in 1978, the Sunday School superintendent went to live with a widow with six children without getting married first. He was stood down from his role until he got his domestic situation sorted out. As an elder of the Presbyterian church, I knew that we had a policy that anyone admitted into membership had to be a person of good character, in other words, not involved in any of those things you mention.

In all my 50 years of church involvement in Pentecostal, Charismatic, Anglican, Baptist, and Presbyterian churches, I didn't know of anyone, as a full and recognised member, who was involved in any of those things. This was because these churches did not recognise that anyone involved in those works of the flesh as a true and genuine convert to Christ.

19. bmjackson

bmjackson Newbie

+165
    Christian
    Single
    Hi. I would only answer this question if the person asking has already been enlightened regarding the doctrine as disbelief over this first step cannot mean anything but the same regarding my answer. You do not know me face to face so it is impossible for me to prove.

20. bmjackson

bmjackson Newbie

+165
    Christian
    Single
    Dear Oscarr you misunderstand. We must never cease to strive but if we are in Christ, the work is to stay there and it is a strange work in that we have rest, but at the same time constantly resist the temptation of the enemy, so that we can stand firm in whatever our circumstances and never budge from trusting God or become discouraged.

We are to count it all joy whatever befalls us and many many things will befalls us once we reach this state of faith in the FINISHED work of Christ and the cleansing of His blood.

We can however fall and we see that the disciples did on occasion and needed the cleansing again. Peace to you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List