"if you have a problem figuring out if you’re for me or Trump, then you ain't black"

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You’re going to have to explain what specifically was racist about anything Biden said.

Are you saying that you suddenly don't recognize a racist statement when you hear one? Up until now, a racist statement was something that you guys could see even when it wasn't there. Now you seem totally blinded to it.
Hey, I get that Biden is supposedly the one choice you have when you hate Trump so much. But is the race card suddenly unplayable? It would be a first!

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I brought up the question about why you don't have a problem with Biden's racist statements. Still waiting for a reply to it.
Because I didn’t find them to be racially charged. He was talking about his track record vs Trump’s in regards to the concerns of black voters.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You’re going to have to explain what specifically was racist about anything Biden said.

Ok, then let's try this:

Trump: "If you have a problem figuring out if you’re for me or Biden, then you aren't white".

Would this be a racist statement?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because I didn’t find them to be racially charged. He was talking about his track record vs Trump’s in regards to the concerns of black voters.

The "then you ain't black" part wasn't racially charged? Who is the "you" referring to in that statement? Hint: "you" isn't his track record.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
His statement can't have done him any good in the black community. However, it may be it is being blown out of proportion.

"VP Biden’s statement today represents the arrogant and out-of-touch attitude of a paternalistic white candidate who has the audacity to tell Black people, the descendants of slaves, that they are not Black unless they vote for him,” Johnson said in a statement obtained by Fox News’s Bret Baier.

“This proves unequivocally that the Democratic nominee believes that Black people owe him their vote without question; even though, we as Black people know it is exactly the opposite. He should spend the rest of his campaign apologizing to every Black person he meets.”

BET Founder Robert Johnson

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

"if you have a problem figuring out if you’re for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Biden (17:24)

"If you think that all black people think alike, you're ignorant." --- This black person

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Good to know he is ready to defeat himself. I happen to agree. He has a four decade history of saying stupid things.
You know I tried to find another video of this interview that was longer than 7 seconds to see just what he was saying when they cut it off but it just wasn't there. So I can't know if this was a gaffe or if it was something like @GoldenBoy89 said.
But while I was looking I found his interview with Stephen Colbert that was 50 mins. long and not one gaffe or stumble. It was posted on May 22, 2020.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
We don’t have to imagine when we can just see for ourselves what Trump thinks of the choice black voters really have.

Trump never took it upon himself to be judge of who is and isn’t black.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No it's not. "Voting against your own interest" is not a "monolithic mindset".
right, who gets to say what the collective interests of any minority are anyway?

if in an individual from x group says that it's in the best interest of y group to vote a certain way it is a monolithic mindset. The greater the contrast of x and y makes the statement more controversial. so for example, if x and y were rich/poor, educated/uneducated or strong/weak these are all contrasted.

But there are exceptions such as if the individual from x group has or had a unique identity with y group then their words have more weight and they are more trusted like a poor person becoming rich, they have a unique identity of being poor even though they are not poor anymore. Typically such contrasts are x being the place where you want to be and y people the place where you don't want to be. This doesn't have to be stated, it's implicated.

the problem with putting race in here is it tends to challenge the "y" race as inferior to the "x" race. So Biden is not saying white is better than black and I understand this but he is saying that black should vote for him and this implicitly creates a conflict because he is not black nor has a black identity yet he is challenging black people to empower him to guard their interests in the name of being black and that just exposes a whole mess of problems. "vote for me if you're [insert race here]" is never a good slogan nor does it represent balanced values.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I guess Biden must think blacks are really dissatisfied with the record-breaking employment numbers.
This talking point has not aged well.

But in any case, no, the polling numbers indicate that African American voters have other reasons for their lack of support of the incumbent.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
right, who gets to say what the collective interests of any minority are anyway?
Well, a track record of recent history could indicate which party tends toward greater help for minority communities.

It was not a smart thing to say

Upvote 0