Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have been studying the Bible for over 20 years, I know some Scripture (by God's grace), but I cannot claim to be omniscient like God. I am but a finite creature. We all are.

If you are a new Christian and you don't know where to start reading the Bible, check out Genesis or Psalms to start, is my suggestion.

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Some food for thought: What is sin? I have read many definitions on it. Some people think it means "Doing wrong." Others say it is breaking God's Law.

What is righteousness? Again I have come across several definitions for it. Some say it means "Doing what is right." Other definitions say "the condition acceptable to GOD."

But all these definitions seem to be pretty broad, don't they?

Since GOD alone is all-knowing, this means that He alone can define what is right and what is wrong. He alone can tell us how we should live our lives. When we read the Bible, we learn what is acceptable to GOD and what isn't.

Upvote 0

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just started to read the entire Bible, I used to read just parts of it, but I understood that if I want to know God for real, I have to read the Bible from start to end.

When I was around 16-17, now I am 21, I started to read the NT, this is how God tried to save me from darkness, but I sinned badly against God.. God's mercy is so amazing, His love is beyond our understanding.. with few months ago I started to feel a change in my life, I had the power, thanks to God, to leave many sins behind, to be a better human being.. I suffer today too, but I know that God is with me, I am not alone, no matter how hard life gets, God is still here, till the very end, praised be the Lord our God!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A huge help for me I found is to read the gospels again, even though I had read them along with the full Bible twice already when much younger. Now this is true for all the books in the Bible, but even more true I found for the Gospels.

They are special, in that Christ's Words have depths and more meaning than we thought, in the past, as we were younger Christians. We don't even imagine, and that we are not ready for all of them when younger.

As we read again what we thought we already knew, but reading with real openness to learn, it's amazing the new gifts and riches we discover. I found some days I could read several passages, but there were days when even just a few verses of His words were so much I was full and had to stop and dwell with those.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Bible is best learned via a bible study with aids to Bible understanding and another Christian who is qualified to help along. Otherwise too many crucial questions will remain unanswered and many parts will appear puzzling. Such classes are provided by all churches on Sundays as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simplest definition of sin

James 4:17

If you know to do something good and don't do it, it is sin. Notice that even means if you are passive about something, not just inherently acting in a wrong way.

I personally recommend people start with a gospel before going to Genesis. Reason being is we know Jesus is the revelation of scripture and all scripture is fulfilled through him. So Christians should start with Jesus then they can read the rest and understand when God says something in the Old Testament how it is fulfilled in Christ in the new

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What a fantastic idea and a great service to new Christians! May I also suggest using the web site biblestudytools.com to help those who have new faith in the Lord and are good at self study. May the Lord bless your ministry and help you along your way, and if you get overloaded, send me a PM and I'll try to help you!

Upvote 0