Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Well that's great Michael. It isn't man's wisdom that we should be instilling into our kids...its God's Wisdom and how His Wisdom is all we ever need. So many people ship their kids off to school having no idea what they are being taught about...and regardless, it is only things of the world, which in 1Corinthians, God says is foolishness to Him. Why would we want to pursue what God calls foolish? The Lord says raise your child up in the ways of the Lord and he will not depart from it.

Just know that if you do not give your child a formal education, you do run the risk of prosecution. It is illegal for a child in the States to not get a formal education.

So the above advice is extremely dangerous in the US. I agree that we need to teach our children God's wisdom, but a formal education is also important.

As I said, my own daughter will be going to public school because my wife and I do not have the resources in order to home school. Plus homeschooling takes much discipline on the part of the parents to accomplish and have your child pass the required tests. It's not an easy route to be sure.

My daughter will learn about God at home and our church.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It does take lots of resources in order to home school a child. My own daughter will be going to public school. Both my wife and I went to public school and got a good education.

The ways of a Christian will be taught in our home however.
My children also go to a public school, it's a multicultural school with a lot of muslims. They learn about God at home. My son (6 years) asked me if Allah was the same as God, because the kids there talk about Allah. So I explained he wasn't. Do you know what he said, without anyone telling him this? He said: Mommy, Allah is just the devil. Kids can be a good witness at a public school. I heard that the small son of David Wagner was bringing a lot of kids to the Lord there.

Upvote 0

jenjen486

The only beauty is found in Christ...
Aug 17, 2012
Fort Garland,CO
✟16,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do we fear men or God though?
What about the verse that says bad company corrupts good morals.? That warning is given for a reason. There is nothing wrong with teaching our kids basic things as they are learning how to live by faith...but we can't ignore when God says wisdom of this world is foolishness to Him.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about the verse that says bad company corrupts good morals.? That warning is given for a reason. There is nothing wrong with teaching our kids basic things as they are learning how to live by faith...but we can't ignore when God says wisdom of this world is foolishness to Him.

:) hey all :wave:

this is interesting and i would like to continue the topic ..but this is a fellowship thread and its wonderful and we should protect it .
So would you be so kind as to visit the NEW THREAD on it and share about it there ?

i will simply call it .. HOME SCHOOLING
other wise a debate may break out on a fellowship thread ..

God bless

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others

Since michael asked that we not do this on this thread, I will go ahead and respect his wishes.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yup you did jenjen .. i was just trying to be respectful of it .. but as you see i did start a thread on home schooling so please do jump in .

as for this thread.. i find it restful to log in to this one and browse through the friendly banter and chit chat ..it has a warm feel to it .So God bless you for popping in and keeping it going .
Dont stop pleease.:)

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Since michael asked that we not do this on this thread, I will go ahead and respect his wishes.

Well I started this thread so that anyone could share whatever is on their heart. Fellowship consists of any discussion in the Lord...so please don't be fearful to bring anything up on here as well.

I value true Christian communication and with it continued Christian fellowship can come from that as it may be hoped. This would be with the fruits of the Spirit of God and in love, not with insensitive argument, that is sadly present in many other threads. But as Jen says we are welcome to discuss what is on our heart within Christian fellowship, we should not avoid seeking to come to truth, with love not lacking.

Several questions came up from what Jen posted, and I may address them as I find that I can. We are clearly to fear Yahweh God and obey him, above what any of our fellow human beings say. Leaving homeschooling to be addressed more in that other thread for it, I can still say that, while it may yet be legally chosen over formal institutional education, and with legitimate reasons being possibly said for it, bad company such as is suggested from a Bible passage is not necessarily to be assumed to be present in any setting of formal education. Good morals can be taught at home and should be, and whether formal education or teaching at home should be chosen is best weighed prayerfully, and decided on depending in circumstances for each case. The wisdom of this world that is foolishness to God is that thinking that all to be learned is to be done is to be without God to be involved in it. It does not mean that there is not truth to sciences and other things taught, but such things are best measured in light of real truth that is inclusive truth of God.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree fred ,that good morals should be taught from home .. and not from word - but by the way they are lived out in the parents life .

we do error much in life if we are not circumspect .

for example -given in the 3rd person out of respect -

there was a boy who asked his mother for a sandwich.. she said "wait for your dinner ".
he replied ,"but you make a sandwich whenever you want one .".. and she replied "when you are grown up then you can too, but for now ..wait for your dinner"-

sounds simple - but the hidden message =:when you get older your allowed to do what you want !.. the unintended lesson was still present and even though unintended and it was wrongful.

there was once a boy sitting on the floor watching tv.. black and white super man show lol, when it finished a police drama came on that was not suitable for children- Go to bed he was told ,your not old enough to watch this show .. so off he went .

1st layer of unintended lesson : when you get older -you can watch shows that are not suitable ..
2nd layer of unintended lesson : what is not suitable for children becomes suitable when you get older -
3rd layer of unintended lesson: Sin is not ok until you get older - then it becomes acceptable ..

OUCH .. no its not .. "for except you become as little children ...-" food for though is it not ?

summary of my little fellowship rant lol

if we truly desire to teach children Godliness we must live in Godliness - do not say to a child ,dont watch that -go to bed .. and then sit there and watch it .
We must exceed the righteousness of the scribes etc.

we must say "this is not good for us to watch ..lets turn it off .. then go with your child to do something more spiritually beneficial .

of course zero TV is better these days lol but i'm using it as a simple clear example

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christian fellowship in communication is desirable, greatly, but sadly it is not found so often as it might be. It is too bad if it seems promising somewhere, and it doesn't then work out, because the Christian fellowship that there should be should continue, while individual believers are around for it anyway. It would be nice through this, and even with the place I had mentioned before it was meant for such ongoing fellowship with those in the communication, but it didn't work out for that. I still use that, but just for sharing what insight I think of, without hardly any input, though it seems a few others still see some of those things anyway. Maybe the issue that is hindrance to the desirable Christian fellowship in these things is with more turning to Facebook to mainly use it. It is likely, right?

Upvote 0