South Carolina
✟3,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am thinking really strongly about developing a program with a local church or something (haven't thought out all of the details) on how to be married.
I'm not talking about a gushy mushy get in touch with your feelings kind of class, but a real down to earth how to do it right kind of class.
I read recently that studies show that every married couple, even happily married couples, have at least five irreconcilable differences...how come some can deal with it and others can't making it the most common reason for divorce?
I would love to cover--
-Conflict Resolution
-Sexual Issues
-Child Rearing and how it affects the marital relationship
-Also, I have observed that many people know what a first date should be like, what engagement should be like, and what the wedding should be like and the expect the best but they have no idea what to do once the honeymoon is over and reality sets in...so I would like to go over that as well.
There are lots of things that I wish I could have known going into marriage and lots of things that you can learn only by experience.
If you guys were taking this class before or after getting married, what kind of things would you want to go over and what kind of things do you think should be taught?

John 15:13

Oct 22, 2004
✟947.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sort of funny for you to mention all of this because last July it was prophesied that my wife and I would teach marriage in a seminar setting.

I believe two hot topics would be 1) Conflict Resolution and 2) Power Struggles. I could expound upon them but don't want to hijack the thread.

In addition, I also believe that inner healing should be taught. Personal introspective looks would do many a great deal of good. Don't even know that I phrased it correctly but I think you know what I mean.

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
I think that there are so many unique variables that each individual brings into the relationship, that's it's hard to really teach.

One couple may have Husband A and Wife B, resulting in an AB marriage. Another couple may have Husband X and Wife Y, resulting in an XY marriage.

And an AB marriage may be the polar opposite of an XY marriage.

:) - I'm just trying to be difficult. But it's something worth considering.

Upvote 0

searle29678

Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend
Dec 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟3,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's also important for people to know that disagreements don't always mean the end of the marriage, even when it is taking longer than you think it should to come to a consensus. Disagreeing is normal, knowing how to do it right is not.
It may sound kind of corny, but sitting down and saying 'ok...tell me why you want to do it this way and then I'll tell you the way I want to do it and why, and then we will compromise' is a great way to handle things. When you get to that yelling and screaming point no one is listening to anyone else, you are just trying to come up with your next insult/rebuttal/argument.

Upvote 0

John 15:13

Oct 22, 2004
✟947.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
searle29678 said:
When you get to that yelling and screaming point no one is listening to anyone else, you are just trying to come up with your next insult/rebuttal/argument.

I couldn't agree more. This is precisely why I stated the two above. They are the two that stand out the most to me when I think about sharing with a friend about marriage and communication. If you can't get past the cycle of conflict, then the enemy can come in and really wreak havok in you both.

Even if only one of you understands how to break the cycle, you'll be better off. I had to learn the hard way.

Upvote 0

searle29678

Dec 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟3,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone is different and no couple that comes to a class like the one I propose is going to be like the last...however there are universal issues that go along with marriage: handling the first fight, the first baby, buying the first home, etc...
No one REALLY ever knows how to handle those things and no one can ever really explain to you what it will be like but you can take research on people that have shared experiences and tell people how they got through it and what they did differently.
It is so important to know how self-esteem, childhood, religious background, financial security, trust, compromise, forgiveness, and so on affect the quality of your marriage. Love isn't the only thing that you need to get by. You can love each other to death, but if one of you isn't working or won't work...it's going to take it's toll. On the other hand, if you are well off financially but you argue constantly over what religion to raise the kids in, you aren't going to be happy.
There was a time when people either knew these things already, were prepared to handle it, or were just stuck in the marriage and couldn't say anything. Now there is so much freedom to run when things don't go your way...if you expect things to not always go your way and how to handle it when they don't you might be able to prevent the only marriage from becoming the 'first marriage.'

Upvote 0

firestar

Senior Veteran
Sep 3, 2005
Beautiful Canada
✟13,381.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think it would be fundamental to cover understanding each other's communication styles, which leads into the second topic- understanding the family your spouse is coming from and how that will affect your marriage.

To explain a bit, you have two people, usually from very different backgrounds which have moulded them into the person they are today. What communication styles did they witness at home? What are traditions or other celebratory events that are important etc... What do the differences between the two families of origin mean for the new couple starting life out together. What potential sources of conflict can arise and how can they be dealt with. And most importantly--- what aspects/traditions/practices etc... of the family of origin do the couple want to shed and which do they wish to keep?

A lot of the time understanding where my husband came from gives me the greatest understanding of who he is, why he is the way he is etc... We avoided a fight recently because we were able to see beyond the "issue" and beyond our emotinal attachment to it, and see why we felt the way we did.

Upvote 0
I

InTheFlame

Searle - there's a fantastic book called Boundaries in Dating (Cloud and Townsend) which covers a lot (nowhere near all) of the stuff you're talking about... it may be possible to get a teaching pack for it too. Five Love Languages would also be useful.

One word of warning, though - if you're thinking of leading these classes yourself, tread very, VERY carefully. Lots of prayer etc beforehand. Make sure you've got all your personal issues ironed out. Because any sort of teaching/counselling role can subject you to a lot of pressure on unhealed wounds, and you can unintentionally do a lot of damage. It could be as simple as someone asking a question, and you answering it assuming that they share a lot of your relationship experiences. (eg. someone says, "my fiance says he's a christian, and he smokes pot... what should I do?") or it could be as major as someone struggling with the same sins that someone's committed against you in your past. I'm hoping DMckay will swing by this thread... I think he could explain that a lot better than I could, plus I think he'd have some great input.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Enigma

Transformers was awesome!!!!
Jan 12, 2004
somewhere
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Redguard said:
I think that there are so many unique variables that each individual brings into the relationship, that's it's hard to really teach.

One couple may have Husband A and Wife B, resulting in an AB marriage. Another couple may have Husband X and Wife Y, resulting in an XY marriage.

And an AB marriage may be the polar opposite of an XY marriage.

:) - I'm just trying to be difficult. But it's something worth considering.

But the AB marriage is always so much better!!!!!;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WrightWife

Remember John 3:16
Dec 16, 2005
Whever God needs me
Visit site
✟395.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
searle29678 said:
I am thinking really strongly about developing a program with a local church or something (haven't thought out all of the details) on how to be married.
I'm not talking about a gushy mushy get in touch with your feelings kind of class, but a real down to earth how to do it right kind of class.
I read recently that studies show that every married couple, even happily married couples, have at least five irreconcilable differences...how come some can deal with it and others can't making it the most common reason for divorce?
I would love to cover--
-Conflict Resolution
-Sexual Issues
-Also, I have observed that many people know what a first date should be like, what engagement should be like, and what the wedding should be like and the expect the best but they have no idea what to do once the honeymoon is over and reality sets in...so I would like to go over that as well.
There are lots of things that I wish I could have known going into marriage and lots of things that you can learn only by experience.
If you guys were taking this class before or after getting married, what kind of things would you want to go over and what kind of things do you think should be taught?

Check out www.smartmarriages.com for federal grant money and think tank type information on your idea.

HTH

Upvote 0

FrogWife

Nov 1, 2005
TEXAS
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
searle29678 said:
I would love to cover--
-Conflict Resolution
-Sexual Issues

My in-laws have a marriage ministry that teaches classes, holds seminars, and has bible studies that focus on having a strong strong marriage...It has been very successful, especially with couples that are about to be married, and couples that have hit a tough spot in their marriage. If you are feeling led by the Lord to start up some sort of program like this, then you definitely need to listen to Him and follow through with what He's instructing you to do. If you need any help getting started, or any advice on how to get started, I'd be more than happy to put you in contact with my in-laws...I know that they'd be thrilled to help you, and that they'd do all they can to help you. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

indagroove

Apr 14, 2005
USA
✟9,211.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It think it is great that you want to do this. God provided us the perfect handbook on Love, it is in his Word.

The first thing to teach a couple is communication. Couples need to pray together, and pray for each other constantly. Praying togther helps one see what is on the heart of the other.

It is hard to carry animosity or resentment for someone that you are praying for everyday.

Works for us !

Upvote 0

searle29678

Dec 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟3,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
InTheFlame said:
Searle - there's a fantastic book called Boundaries in Dating (Cloud and Townsend) which covers a lot (nowhere near all) of the stuff you're talking about... it may be possible to get a teaching pack for it too. Five Love Languages would also be useful.

One word of warning, though - if you're thinking of leading these classes yourself, tread very, VERY carefully. Lots of prayer etc beforehand. Make sure you've got all your personal issues ironed out. Because any sort of teaching/counselling role can subject you to a lot of pressure on unhealed wounds, and you can unintentionally do a lot of damage. It could be as simple as someone asking a question, and you answering it assuming that they share a lot of your relationship experiences. (eg. someone says, "my fiance says he's a christian, and he smokes pot... what should I do?") or it could be as major as someone struggling with the same sins that someone's committed against you in your past. I'm hoping DMckay will swing by this thread... I think he could explain that a lot better than I could, plus I think he'd have some great input.

I see what you are saying here and I guess I figured (maybe wrongly so) that because of my experiences and how far I have come and how far our marriage has come would be more of a help than a hindrance. I think it is all too easy for someone who has had very little trouble in the marriage dept. or someone who has never been married to say 'This is what you need to do.' I felt that I would have an advantage because I know how hard it is sometimes. Thanks for putting this idea out there though, I'm gonna give it some thought.

Upvote 0

searle29678

Dec 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟3,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Guys I really want to do this. After reading the book that I started a thread on earlier, I have found that divorce is having to large of an impact on our youth. The decay of marriage in our society is heartbreaking. I want to do anything I can to save even just one couple.

I just don't know where to start...do I do this with one church? Do I offer to travel to different churches for the seminars/classes? Do I charge a fee? I feel God is urging me to do this....and I know He will show me the when's and where's but I'm just sort of lost in a ball of ideas right now and don't know where to go next.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catholic Wife

Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Church actually sponsors a program similar to what you mentioned. It's called Engaged Encounter. It's an entire weekend devoted to topics such as feelings (we all have them), the call to be "one", conflict resolution and rules for fighting, decision making as a couple, money/finances/budgeting, sexuality and intimacy, and marriage as a sacrament. Maybe you can contact the local diocese to see if they will share more information about the program.

Upvote 0
I

InTheFlame

searle29678 said:
I see what you are saying here and I guess I figured (maybe wrongly so) that because of my experiences and how far I have come and how far our marriage has come would be more of a help than a hindrance. I think it is all too easy for someone who has had very little trouble in the marriage dept. or someone who has never been married to say 'This is what you need to do.' I felt that I would have an advantage because I know how hard it is sometimes. Thanks for putting this idea out there though, I'm gonna give it some thought.
No, I think you're right... your experiences with your marriage WILL help you become a really good marriage counsellor. It's good for a counsellor to know how much that stuff hurts. It's just that it needs to be remembered pain, not the counsellor screaming in agony because someone poked an unhealed wound.

(Hmmm.... did I stretch that analogy too far?)

Upvote 0

christalee4

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
searle29678 said:
Guys I really want to do this. After reading the book that I started a thread on earlier, I have found that divorce is having to large of an impact on our youth. The decay of marriage in our society is heartbreaking. I want to do anything I can to save even just one couple.

I just don't know where to start...do I do this with one church? Do I offer to travel to different churches for the seminars/classes? Do I charge a fee? I feel God is urging me to do this....and I know He will show me the when's and where's but I'm just sort of lost in a ball of ideas right now and don't know where to go next.

I think a lot of young people can benefit from a "relationship counseling" seminar - like what to expect when one finally decides that a particular person is "the one". Discuss issues that couples sometimes need counseling with, like money issues, sharing responsibility, dropping pride and selfishness, being true and loving. Discussing ahead of time issues such as wanting children, relationship dynamics (who makes decisions, who shares in them), listening to one's partner. I think many parents don't talk about these issues with young people, and then sometimes 'stuff happens", and it's too late. I think a good program can really make a big difference in young people's lives.

Upvote 0
D

Dmckay

Searle29678,

My sister in the Lord, would you be willing to consider some advice from one who has been counseling families for longer than you have been alive? I don't want to quench the Spirit of Ministry that I see reflected from your heart through your posts.
You have touched on an area on need in many, if not most local churches, which has stemmed from a lack on the part of many Pastors.

The fact that divorce is so high among couples who consider themselves Christians is a blemish on the Body of Christ. Much of this stems from a lack of training either sought or given in many Bible Colleges and Seminaries. There is also the fear that many Pastors seem to have in teaching about sex, relationships and marriage from the pulpit. All to often Pastors relegate these kinds of teaching to the public schools or to Christian Counselors, who, quite frankly, usually charge too much for the average Christian to be able to seek help.

There are however many Pastors like myself who do take the time to teach courtship as opposed to dating to their youth groups. G-dly principles for dating for those who won't follow the Biblical examples. And who do teach about sex, marriage and relationships from the pulpit.

From your OP and a few of the other posts it sounds like you are considering taking on this type of a teaching ministry in a local church. Again, I don't want to quench your desire to serve, but I think that there are a few things that you need to consider. First, James warns us in 3:1 "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment." If one takes on a teaching ministry unprepared they are asking for trouble. A Pastor or teacher must maintain a much higher standard in their life before they can stand as an example for others.

Secondly, Paul, in Titus 2:3-5 teaches: "Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, 4 so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored." The Holy Spirit directed Paul that it is the older women in the church who should be charged with teaching the younger wives how to be a G-dly wife.

As I have been reading through the posts on the Marriage Ministry forums some of your posts have caught my attention. It appears that you have a heart for wanting to be able to help others in the church. This is so commendable, especially since these days so few want to be involved in the work of the church. That being said, I have noticed a few things that have lead me to offer this advice. You are still an infant in the Lord. I believe that you said that you have been a Christian less than 2 years. On top of that, I believe that you have been married about the same length of time.

This should be a time of growth for you both in your relationship with the Lord and especially your husband. I personally don't allow members in my church to be involved in a serious, time-consuming ministry until they have been married at least 5 years. Those first five years are for smoothing out the bumps in your relationship and getting to really know each other. The added stress of taking on such a ministry can be very detrimental to a young marrieds relationship. This is so true, that I have special Sunday School classes which are for Young marrieds only, because they do have such special needs, as well as need for counseling from time-to-time. I have had couples tell me that the only things that kept them together through some of the bad times in their relationships were the things that they learned and the bonds that they formed with other young married couples through this class.

In short, you have a great idea for a much needed ministry. Don't rush into it or the failure could be your own marriage. Grow in the Lord, your knowledge of His Word, and your relationship with your own husband, FIRST, the need for this type of ministry will still be their.

You don't mention how your husband feels about this idea of yours. It causes me pause. When I do pre-marital counseling with a young couple I always start with determining both of their relationships with the Lord. I discuss this with a diagram that has G-d at the top of a Pyramid, and graphics of a man and woman as the bases of the Pyramid. I explain to the couple that if they aren't both on the same page spiritually, i.e. same commitment, same goals, same desire to grow and serve the Lord, it is going to pull the marriage apart. The same is true if the man and woman only have place in their lives for themselves or each other. As Christians, they will fall farther and farther from their relationship to G-d. But, if they love G-d, and are equally committed to their relationship to G-d, as they grow closer to the Lord by putting Him first, it will naturally pull them closer together to each other. Give this process time to work in both of your still new relationships. When it is time for you and your husband to have a ministry, it will still be there.

Upvote 0