If you could change places with an unsaved loved one - would you?

seadog4109

Nov 11, 2014
✟15,695.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A nonsensical ethical question:
I am a happily married father of two young adult boys, both of whom are saved (and my dear wife too).

However, the question has occurred to me, (and of course I know this is impossible) would I willingly swap places with an unsaved loved one, surrendering my salvation so that they would be saved.

I've had unsaved family die, and whilst it may sound very shallow and selfish I wouldn't change places with them. We are all responsible for our decisions and actions, and I couldn't damn myself to rescue someone who rejected Christ during their lifetime.

But for one of my kids - would eternity in hell for me be more tolerable knowing that my actions had spared the same destiny for my child. Bone of my bone and Flesh of my flesh. Would I swap? - That question gives me pause.

Thank God, that I don't have to make that decision...

• Agree
Reactions: lben

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a happily married father of two young adult boys, both of whom are saved (and my dear wife too).

However, the question has occurred to me, (and of course I know this is impossible) would I willingly swap places with an unsaved loved one, surrendering my salvation so that they would be saved.

I've had unsaved family die, and whilst it may sound very shallow and selfish I wouldn't change places with them. We are all responsible for our decisions and actions, and I couldn't damn myself to rescue someone who rejected Christ during their lifetime.

But for one of my kids - would eternity in hell for me be more tolerable knowing that my actions had spared the same destiny for my child. Bone of my bone and Flesh of my flesh. Would I swap? - That question gives me pause.

If I could just be dead then sure, of course I would, particularly for my kids. An eternity of unimaginably excruciating torture without relief makes me think twice though.

• Agree
Reactions: lben
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Interesting. I think Abraham was actually in a similar dilemma though I doubt he viewed what he understood he was being asked to do as damning, I would have to think he felt his son would be fine in eternity. Jesus, at least as a man, is actually placed partially in this position to make possible (not assure) the salvation of all. He only offers His life and is not in that act giving up eternal happiness.

This would have to be God posing this hypothetical as I see only Him having the Authority to sentence eternal salvation or damnation. Which means then like Abraham, you could be saved from your dilemma as well.

But purely hypothetical, am not sure how a fellow human could fault either choice (sort of a part of what the other poster says). A person condemns them self by their own will and desire from it, so one is not obligate to save them. That someone could understandably want to save a loved one from eternal damnation, even to the hypothetical, is also understandable. Am not sure why a hypothetical that is impossible should give one much pause.

I do see the value of the Universalist appeal to parental love, but that does not give me pause either.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If I could just be dead then sure, of course I would, particularly for my kids. An eternity of unimaginably excruciating torture without relief makes me think twice though.

I seriously think that most people overlook The ramifications whenever they talk about hell and never think about the consequences, or cognitive dissonance is too ingrained to really think about it and have it dawn on them.

I find it horrifying that that's even an option when God is supposed to be loving. That's not loving in any sense of the word unless you're talking the Ministry of Love from 1984. And people are sent there if the main bad thing they've done is not believing

How could anyone want kids if that's the case? How could anyone think that's just or loving? How can we claim to care about anyone if people who could be our friends are supposedly sent to be tortured for all eternity? How can that be considered loving or just or kind or good?

If any human tried to do such things we'd call them evil. And I highly doubt that anyone with a sound mind would throw their loved one into a burning pit just for not agreeing with them on something. You'd never do that, would you? Not even to your worst enemies, right? Why assume a God who loves all his children would?

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I seriously think that most people overlook The ramifications whenever they talk about hell and never think about the consequences, or cognitive dissonance is too ingrained to really think about it and have it dawn on them.

I find it horrifying that that's even an option when God is supposed to be loving. That's not loving in any sense of the word unless you're talking the Ministry of Love from 1984. And people are sent there if the main bad thing they've done is not believing

How could anyone want kids if that's the case? How could anyone think that's just or loving? How can we claim to care about anyone if people who could be our friends are supposedly sent to be tortured for all eternity? How can that be considered loving or just or kind or good?

If any human tried to do such things we'd call them evil. And I highly doubt that anyone with a sound mind would throw their loved one into a burning pit just for not agreeing with them on something. You'd never do that, would you? Not even to your worst enemies, right? Why assume a God who loves all his children would?
Well, am sorry the thoughts are wrong. Well intended perhaps, but wrong. Plenty of people have since the earliest ages of Christianity pondered those same thoughts and the various responses have always been the same as the ones given now.
A parent cannot force a child to love them back anymore than God can. What sort of love would a nice parent even want that requires forcing them to show love back?

When that relationship gets completely severed, whether by the parent or child it does not matter, it is severed and can remain that way through the rest of the life of either or both(effectively as permanent as eternal damnation). In the sense He made us all to love, serve and know Good (Him), every human is His child. The choice of all humans to act or not act like His children everywhere and at a every time is the same. In regards to making salvation possible, that we all have that choice at all indicates His Love and respect for all of us.

I believe any concept of Universalism can be shown a fallacy rather easily. Take the idea of a hell/suffering eventually rendering freely loving children for example. Or God needing to give some people more time. Or God needing a sacrifice if some of His children just needed more time.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, am sorry the thoughts are wrong. Well intended perhaps, but wrong. Plenty of people have since the earliest ages of Christianity pondered those same thoughts and the various responses have always been the same as the ones given now.
A parent cannot force a child to love them back anymore than God can. What sort of love would a nice parent even want that requires forcing them to show love back?

God could technically force a child to love him (to say otherwise would mean he's not omnipotent), he messed with "free will" a few times in the Bible. And a parent wouldn't toss their child into a burning flaming pit to be tortured for all eternity, right? Would you really call that a "good parent"?

When that relationship gets completely severed, whether by the parent or child it does not matter, it is severed and can remain that way through the rest of the life of either or both. In the sense He made us all to love, serve and know Good (Him), every human is His child. The choice of all humans to act or not act like His children everywhere and at a every time is the same. In regards to making salvation possible, that we all have that choice at all indicates His Love and respect for all of us.

Yeah, but "severed relationship" shouldn't equal "malevolent torture".

I believe any concept of Universalism can be shown a fallacy rather easily. Take the idea of a hell/suffering eventually rendering freely loving children for example. Or God needing to give some people more time. Or God needing a sacrifice if some of His children just needed more time.

I don't quite get what you're saying there. And when you think about it, around 80 years isn't as long when someone spends about 25 of those years sleeping, and not everyone lives in Christian places anyway.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God could technically force a child to love him (to say otherwise would mean he's not omnipotent), he messed with "free will" a few times in the Bible. And a parent wouldn't toss their child into a burning flaming pit to be tortured for all eternity, right? Would you really call that a "good parent"?

I don't quite get what you're saying there. And when you think about it, around 80 years isn't as long when someone spends about 25 of those years sleeping, and not everyone lives in Christian places anyway.

Do forget that 1000 years is 1 day to God. Which means an 80 year life is less than 30mins to God. So you have thirty minutes to get it right or your a toast!

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There was a thread similar to this a few weeks ago. It was about a man denying God to save a group of other men. (murderers said that if he did not deny, they would kill a group of people who did deny)

I was surprised at the amount of Christians who said that wouldnt try to save the others. they wouldnt doom their soul for another. Of course this thread got fun and heated and then shut off by the site....you can still view it, just not respond to it anymore.

I said that i would do whatever it take to save the soul of the others, so you know what my answer would be for my own family.

Jesus came and gave His life and took on my sin.......Why shouldnt i return the favor?

As far as torture....I dont think spirits can feel physical pain, nor do I believe God created a torture chamber. But I did believe this in the past and My answer did not change.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Creating the conditions He alone would know resulted in someone hardening their heart against Him is not an example of God impinging upon their free will. That men would observe and later describe such events as "God hardening" someones heart or making them do this or that are allegories. Taking such allegory beyond what many feel is reasonable when speaking of what God will and will not do, that is not something everyone is willing to do. It is not really a question of could He do it, Omnipotence, which the answer is absolutely yes.

It is a question rather would He do that, to which many would say absolutely no. Perhaps some conditionally no because God is also Omniscient. So someone could suppose (as in we'll never know in this life) that God knows no matter which of all possible lifetimes (so many choices) plays out for a specific man, the Pharaoh for example, he would never ultimately choose to love Good (Him). So God acting on such a persons life to even force a desired outcome has not changed the eternal fate of that person at all. Personally I rather like to think God gave us free will because it was true love He would want, which could only be a result from an exercise of truly free will. Conversely His Justice demands He could not condemn someone who had not freely chosen to not love Him. So with the Pharaoh for example, and not even knowing if we should expect to see him in heaven or not, I choose to view such verses as God able to create conditions He knows would result in a choice the man would freely make anyway, rather than see it as God forcing him to do what God wanted him to do to His Glory. I see that view as being more for His Glory than if the man was said to be forced, because it gives the Pharaoh the same dignity of freedom in use of his created faculties as the rest of us.

Abraham was ready to "toss his child" wherever he believed God to be telling him to. But I get the emotional appeal being made would likewise take a very dim view of and deeply appalled by Abraham's parental love as well. So we could in same view equally ask if we could call that a "good parenting". Am still not given pause or swayed by the emotional appeal.

Am not the one attempting to invoke an emotional appeal against Justice by insisting God holds the pitch fork and flame nozzle. That is not a traditional view of Hell and certainly not mine. Allowing suffering is not the same as actively producing it. We do not blame Him now (we can question why He allows it) for suffering am unclear why we must do so in the next life. Realize the traditional view is predominately the damned start suffering immediately after death and continue to do so until a body is joined to that damned soul to make their suffering more complete as a human. Likewise with the souls of the elect.

My Church has never taught that every in it goes to Heaven and everyone outside of it goes to Hell, not from a membership or practice sense anyway. I am assured by the same Church there will be nominal Catholics in hell from all ages, just as there will be pagans, atheists and agnostics from all ages in Heaven.

My point about duration was simply that any appeal a Universalist can make appealing to duration is fatally flawed in one or more ways. Pick one and try to stay on topic with it and I will show what I mean. For instance, it appears some appeal was made at end of last post to shortness of this life. Yes, it can be quite short indeed, especially compared to eternity. Am unclear why berivity should be a hindrance to God being able to properly Judge a person's life. The thief on the Cross was in an instant Judged worthy of eternal happiness, even though he lingered a little longer afterwards than our Lord God, Jesus Christ did.

More time. The whole idea that some people need more time also works against the notion of Omniscience, which is how we can hold the various beliefs most Christians hold to predestination. It works against our need for a Savior if all God really needed was a good furnace to help some people eventually love him. Needing more time works against the idea of there being any need for suffering at all unless one views listening to preaching as suffering. Indeed some Universalist insist Hell is not suffering at all, just less happy than they would be otherwise. Am sure the more we think about the more flaws we could find in the notion that some people just need more time to come around.

• Winner
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Apostle Paul said as much in Romans 9, but Paul said salvation is only for the called of God that they obtain the salvation, verse Romans 9:23-24 both of jew and gentile, (even US whom HE called). And the rest are blinded by God.

Romans 11
7 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded.
8 Just as it is written:

“God has given them a spirit of stupor,
Eyes that they should not see
And ears that they should not hear,
To this very day.”

Romans 9
22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,
23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,
24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Romans 9
1 I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit,
2 that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart.
3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh

• Agree
Reactions: DrBubbaLove
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Apostle Paul said as much in Romans 9, but Paul said salvation is only for the called of God that they obtain the salvation, verse Romans 9:23-24 both of jew and gentile, (even US whom HE called). And the rest are blinded by God.

Romans 11
7 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded.
8 Just as it is written:

“God has given them a spirit of stupor,
Eyes that they should not see
And ears that they should not hear,
To this very day.”

Romans 9
22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,
23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory,
24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Romans 9
1 I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit,
2 that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart.
3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh
Indeed.

And most Christians agree we are all predestined to one of two eternal fates, with major and severe differences in the nuances of how it can be said God "blinds" someone. So we have under the label of predestination a wide range of views about the reprobate (those destined for Hell), ranging from the extremely distasteful extreme of positive reprobation of some forms of Calvinism to the opposite end of various different and fairly milder opinions. Some of those milder views being equally acceptable for Catholics to believe and even within those there are acceptable/unacceptable variations. The Universalists of course finds all this distasteful and believes there are no eternal reprobates, so no one predestined to Hell.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...However, the question has occurred to me, (and of course I know this is impossible) would I willingly swap places with an unsaved loved one, surrendering my salvation so that they would be saved.... ...But for one of my kids - would eternity in hell for me be more tolerable knowing that my actions had spared the same destiny for my child. Bone of my bone and Flesh of my flesh. Would I swap? - That question gives me pause.

I think it depends on, would the person become righteous. If not, then it would be better not to change, because unrighteous in eternal life would turn it eternal suffering. Therefore, only changing places would not be good.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

Upvote 0