Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What would it be? I've been meeting with a pastor who actually answers questions. I'd like to be able to share other peoples questions with him.
That's really thoughtful of you seremela.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would it be? I've been meeting with a pastor who actually answers questions. I'd like to be able to share other peoples questions with him.

16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

Ask him where the "dead in Christ" are located before the rapture. The text assumes they weren't in heaven because that's where Jesus came from to meet with them. It seems they were under/in the Earth somewhere.

Now, I have may own personal beliefs here. Some call them unorthodox, but I believe that no one goes to heaven after they die. They go to Hades, a temporary holding spot for the dead, until judgment day. It is at this point we are assigned a new location to live eternally: the New Earth - our heaven.

I believe this passage is hard to refute. The wording is clear, even in the original language. But most still believe that those who die in Christ go immediately to heaven.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If he read a book called Pagan Christianity, and then ask if he thinks he should get a side job, like Paul had, (really primary), and should he let others share from HIS pulpit, or does he hog it for himself?
Hmm, wonder if my pastor read that book, because he too doesn't believe in
one guy up front but rather Eph 4 church.
(Difficult though to distance oneself from that 'traditional' type of service)

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yeah, I saw that and it was the first thing I thought of, which was kool when I learned through experience that there are some sitting in the back pews which should be sharing that pulpit ^_^

The body of Christ is great, God showed me how the members work together even though the set up is sometimes appears sort of built against the greater participartion of it as a whole. The thought that the pastor knew everything became a fleeting one when the guy in the back row helped me more then my pastor ever did. Others too, I suppose thats why I prefer online fellowship to learning because its here one can exercise discernment between many speakers and judge what they say and grow in knowledge whereas in a one man church enviroment one is sorta stuck with one member of the body speaking only.

There was one group which just had two or three read designated portions from scriptures but it wasnt the same as expounding from them in regards to showing any of their own workmanship in the word of truth though. I think some wouldnt know any differently and try to immitate the patern but I dont believe thats what is meant by it.

Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Yeah, I saw that and it was the first thing I thought of, which was kool when I learned through experience that there are some sitting in the back pews which should be sharing that pulpit ^_^

The body of Christ is great, God showed me how the members work together even though the set up is sometimes appears sort of built against the greater participartion of it as a whole. The thought that the pastor knew everything became a fleeting one when the guy in the back row helped me more then my pastor ever did. Others too, I suppose thats why I prefer online fellowship to learning because its here one can exercise discernment between many speakers and judge what they say and grow in knowledge whereas in a one man church enviroment one is sorta stuck with one member of the body speaking only.

There was one group which just had two or three read designated portions from scriptures but it wasnt the same as expounding from them in regards to showing any of their own workmanship in the word of truth though. I think some wouldnt know any differently and try to immitate the patern but I dont believe thats what is meant by it.

Good stuff, even on a natural level, it is just rude for one person to talk all the time. I often look around and think..

Gee,,look at al the gifts sitting in the chairs, but we cant hear from them, because pastor is TALKING AGAIN!!:doh:

26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

Ask him where the "dead in Christ" are located before the rapture. The text assumes they weren't in heaven because that's where Jesus came from to meet with them. It seems they were under/in the Earth somewhere.

Now, I have may own personal beliefs here. Some call them unorthodox, but I believe that no one goes to heaven after they die. They go to Hades, a temporary holding spot for the dead, until judgment day. It is at this point we are assigned a new location to live eternally: the New Earth - our heaven.

I believe this passage is hard to refute. The wording is clear, even in the original language. But most still believe that those who die in Christ go immediately to heaven.

It may be "unorthodox" but I agree with you on this.

If we go to heaven when we die then our hope is in death...but that's contradictory to what the scriptures say...Our hope is in the resurrection.

1Co 15:13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.
1Co 15:14 And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.
1Co 15:15 We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified about God that he raised Christ, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised.
1Co 15:16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised.
1Co 15:17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins.
1Co 15:18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.
1Co 15:19 If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.
1Co 15:20 But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.
1Co 15:21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead.

Reactions: Jig
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What percentage of your church's budget is alotted towards your salary?

money_mind1.jpg

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am with Frogster and the others. I would ask him where in the Bible does he find justification for his salaried job.

You guys! lol
Here she comes in to be a blessing,
SO pleased that she has an awesome pastor..
and you want her to go dis the guy.

Upvote 0

Distinguished

Non-materialistic Humbled Servant
Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Visit site
✟7,778.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

May I answer? That is a rapture passage. The "dead in Christ will rise first" refers to the physical bodies of those who are saved, but their spirits are in the air with Jesus because they came in the air with Jesus during the rapture. Those who are alive on Earth at the time will first witness the bodies of saved people come together, get out of the graves, float up to the sky, and meet the person in the air and the reuniting will happen in a twinkling of an eye and the person will have a new spiritual body similar to the one that Jesus had when he resurrected from the dead. Then those who are alive on Earth are next, and will float up to the sky, and in a twinkling of an eye be changed into their new bodies. Then all will leave to "heaven" for the Tribulation to take place over the next 7 years for those left on Earth.

Hades is reserved for those who do not know Christ. Hades is not hell. Hell, or the lake of fire, is a future event and in the future, those who are in Hades will be put in Hell. Before Christ, all went to Hades, but Jesus went there and freed the captives of those who abided by the Mosiac law. Today, the bible says that absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, so today all Christians go to Heaven where Christ is, and not to Hades. I put heaven in parenthesis up top because that is only a temporary heaven. The final heaven is as you pointed out, the New Earth that God will create, but that too is in the future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
May I answer? That is a rapture passage. The "dead in Christ will rise first" refers to the physical bodies of those who are saved, but their spirits are in the air with Jesus because they came in the air with Jesus during the rapture. Those who are alive on Earth at the time will first witness the bodies of saved people come together, get out of the graves, float up to the sky, and meet the person in the air and the reuniting will happen in a twinkling of an eye and the person will have a new spiritual body similar to the one that Jesus had when he resurrected from the dead. Then those who are alive on Earth are next, and will float up to the sky, and in a twinkling of an eye be changed into their new bodies. Then all will leave to "heaven" for the Tribulation to take place over the next 7 years for those left on Earth.

Hades is reserved for those who do not know Christ. Hades is not hell. Hell, or the lake of fire, is a future event and in the future, those who are in Hades will be put in Hell. Before Christ, all went to Hades, but Jesus went there and freed the captives of those who abided by the Mosiac law. Today, the bible says that absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, so today all Christians go to Heaven where Christ is, and not to Hades. I put heaven in parenthesis up top because that is only a temporary heaven. The final heaven is as you pointed out, the New Earth that God will create, but that too is in the future.
What scriptures show that our spirits are floating around heaven?

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What scriptures show that our spirits are floating around heaven?

Ephesians 3
14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

Family = brothers, sisters named 'in Christ'

Upvote 0

bibleblevr

Jan 27, 2009
Lynchburg VA
✟8,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am with Frogster and the others. I would ask him where in the Bible does he find justification for his salaried job.

I can answer that one for you!!!!

17 The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. 18 For the Scripture says, “Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain,”b and “The worker deserves his wages.”

And of course

14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ephesians 3
14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

Family = brothers, sisters named 'in Christ'

No offense...but I'm not a fan of taking verses out of context to support a belief...I'd like to see something in context that states when we die our spirits are floating around heaven until the resurrection...

Like I said, if that's the case then our hope is in death, not the resurrection...and that's contradictory to scripture, as I've already shown.

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No offense...but I'm not a fan of taking verses out of context to support a belief...I'd like to see something in context that states when we die our spirits are floating around heaven until the resurrection...

Like I said, if that's the case then our hope is in death, not the resurrection...and that's contradictory to scripture, as I've already shown.

As Jesus portrayed in his parable, 'the grave' was either paradise or Hades. Thus he said to the thief at the cross "today thou shalt be with me in paradise." Men are body, soul, and spirit (as evidenced in 1 Thess 5:23 and Hebrews 4:12) Your soul departs when the body dies, and the spirit (breath of life) goes back to God.

The soul in times of old either went to paradise or Hades. Ever since the resurrection of Jesus, the souls and the Spirit which departs from those who die in Christ go to Heaven to be with the LORD (as Paul writes about being absent from the LORD as long as he is in the body) and must rest yet a season (as we can see in Revelation) and they are our family, our departed brothers and sisters who died in Christ, resting in Heaven.

Our hope is much more than being in Heaven. We go to Heaven, and that is most beautiful and gracious, but our hope is a bodily resurrection, when we receive eternally glorified and incorruptible flesh as Jesus has. Then he will judge each man according to his own works and give due recompense to those unsaved for their own wickedness. Then he creates the new heaven and new earth, and instead of resting as departed souls in heaven, we will live on the new earth and dwell with God, and there will be no more tears, or darkness, or remembrance of the wickedness and things of the past. He will be the light thereof.

So, in summary, our souls depart to be with the LORD in Heaven which is a most gracious gift, but the true hope of the resurrection and the promise of the new earth still lies in the future.

Upvote 0