Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We need to be careful about thinking of ourselves as gods. This is the temptation that Satan gave Eve in the Garden, which led to the Fall.

The closest I am come to anyone who is like a god is in the gym who does things that I could never do. I told one guy he does gym like a Greek god and that he should wear a laurel garland on his head! That got a good laugh!

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We will never be God or gods. In Psalms 82:6 and John 10:34 Jesus was speaking of those who were in the position of being judges. Isaiah 43:10-11; Isaiah 44:6; Isaiah 44:8; Isaiah 45:5; Isaiah 45:21-22; and Isaiah 46:9-10 are places where God makes it perfectly clear that no one becomes deity.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
We need to be careful about thinking of ourselves as gods. This is the temptation that Satan gave Eve in the Garden, which led to the Fall.

The closest I am come to anyone who is like a god is in the gym who does things that I could never do. I told one guy he does gym like a Greek god and that he should wear a laurel garland on his head! That got a good laugh!

I believe we are said by the theologians to most resemble God in this life in our sufferings.

Your point, of course, is important, but it has an on obverse that is also important, if not quite as much: and that is that we should bear in mind that everyone we meet in the course of a day is also 'another Christ'. It makes humility, an understanding of our own nothingness without God's even thinking about us, easier, and the urge to compete, as folly ; at least, to compete from personal vanity, rather than for the glory of God (and, this context seems to suggest, the glory of our neighbour !)

It is understandable, but I do think the mainstream churches have not given this, which is after all a teaching of Christ and the Evangelists, sufficient weight in their teaching.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Human beings the Book of Genesis tells us are 'made in the image and likeness of God.' Jesus Christ Himself is the Son of God.

When Athanasius wrote on this he clarified his teaching carefully by pointing out that for men to be called sons of God did not imply identity with Him who is the Son 'in nature and in truth', but that we are sons and gods 'by adoption and grace, as partaking of His Spirit', and 'by imitation' ie. godly living.

Christians are supposed to reflect Jesus. Sin is that which fragments, and like a mirror if it is broken, the image we reflect will be distorted, until we are made whole again.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Human beings the Book of Genesis tells us are 'made in the image and likeness of God.' Jesus Christ Himself is the Son of God.

When Athanasius wrote on this he clarified his teaching carefully by pointing out that for men to be called sons of God did not imply identity with Him who is the Son 'in nature and in truth', but that we are sons and gods 'by adoption and grace, as partaking of His Spirit', and 'by imitation' ie. godly living.

Christians are supposed to reflect Jesus. Sin is that which fragments, and like a mirror if it is broken, the image we reflect will be distorted, until we are made whole again.

Yes, we shall become branches of the True Vine, members of the Mystical Body of Christ, with Christ as our head.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The other thought I have is if God has no beginning and no end and there are only three members of the Godhead and no more will ever be added that have no beginning and no end, why would the people who think they will become God, possibly ever become God, unless God can procreate God's which He already told us He does not.

Upvote 0