Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here are the verses concerning the proof that gods were valuable objects in the Bible.

Read each of these in the NIV, I am not for sure if it's in the other versions.

Genesis 31:19
Genesis 31:30
Genesis 31:32

Look throughout this chapter and you'll see what I'm talking about. Be sure to read it in the NIV

• Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,850.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you read the NIV of the Bible, you notice that during this time "gods" meant jewels or rings or earrings. He is telling us we are jewels if we follow Him, for He values us because we are His.
To answer your question, you have to decide if Lord Jesus is God. Then once you are certain about that answer you have to decide if what Lord Jesus said in the gospels is the truth. Once you have decided the answer to that,you have to meditate these words that speaks to your identity in Christ.
Ephesians 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Upvote 0

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To answer your question, you have to decide if Lord Jesus is God. Then once you are certain about that answer you have to decide if what Lord Jesus said in the gospels is the truth. Once you have decided the answer to that,you have to meditate these words that speaks to your identity in Christ.
Ephesians 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
I don't quite get what you mean. This didn't have anything to do with my post. I believe this too, this just had nothing to do with what I was saying.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
if we are in the body of christ...

What does the Bible mean by “you are gods” / "ye are gods" in Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34? <-- this article just say "we are not god because we are not gods" but doesnt offer valid arguments

1. Well for starters the little "g" is used here

2. Psalms 82 is referring to unjust judges and the term "god" outside the use for idol gods means either servants of god when it's applied or in this case most likely the other way it's used in a few scriptures political leaders appointed by God. Sometimes you see God though placed over angels as well or a figure aka manifestation of God but that's besides hte point

Now I had to go back and look at the verse before this one...and I feel many should do this to get what i'm about to say.

John 10:33-34King James Version (KJV)
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Comment: So JESUS is referencing those judges being called "god" in the ot scriptures in their law/political system whatever you want to call it and how the title itself is even more suitable for him.

Upvote 0

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1. Well for starters the little "g" is used here

2. Psalms 82 is referring to unjust judges and the term "god" outside the use for idol gods means either servants of god when it's applied or in this case most likely the other way it's used in a few scriptures political leaders appointed by God. Sometimes you see God though placed over angels as well or a figure aka manifestation of God but that's besides hte point

Now I had to go back and look at the verse before this one...and I feel many should do this to get what i'm about to say.

John 10:33-34King James Version (KJV)
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Comment: So JESUS is referencing those judges being called "god" in the ot scriptures and how the title itself is even more suitable for him.
This is true in this context. There are other verse that talk about gods as being jewels, and I think that's just what that's for. In that context, you are correct.

Upvote 0

Cassidy Bennett

Child of God
Jul 5, 2017
Pittsburgh
✟17,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are "gods" because we are created in the image of God by God. He created his own image, which is also why he doesn't want us praising images. We serve others bc they are created in the image of God.

As gods we are a ALL able to rule the earth. God allows us to decide for ourselves if we will choose his ways. We can forgive, create, dream, etc. We are essentially " little gods." We can worship each other (as long as its not breaking God's law). We worship the almighty God bc there's no one higher to praise.

The other part of that is that we are "children of God" bc we are all one and Jesus is included in it.

In my opinion it does not mean only the rulers like the website indicates. Parts of it is for the judges/ rulers.

This part is for all of us.
"I said, “You are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you"

Jesus was defending himself for "blaspheming". He was not a king in their eyes.

Then he says....
35If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside—36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? 37

He would not say " them" when talking to the rulers. He would say "you." And like I said God created all of us to rule so that logic doesn't make much sense anyway.

" I have called them "gods" to whom the word of the Lord came." All of us.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Haipule
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is true in this context. There are other verse that talk about gods as being jewels, and I think that's just what that's for. In that context, you are correct.
agreed "god" is used in different context at times such as the one you mention. Good thing for us all to consider when reading.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

want-love

Dec 17, 2016
united states
✟36,489.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't quite get what you mean. This didn't have anything to do with my post. I believe this too, this just had nothing to do with what I was saying.
it's related to your post because if we are in the body of christ we are part of him

Comment: So JESUS is referencing those judges being called "god"
but there he is answering about he calling himself God

We are "gods" because we are created in the image of God by God. He created his own image, which is also why he doesn't want us praising images. We serve others bc they are created in the image of God.

As gods we are a ALL able to rule the earth. God allows us to decide for ourselves if we will choose his ways. We can forgive, create, dream, etc. We are essentially " little gods." We can worship each other (as long as its not breaking God's law). We worship the almighty God bc there's no one higher to praise.

The other part of that is that we are "children of God" bc we are all one and Jesus is included in it.
i believe this

WE are not gods and WE are not God. Period.
you are just being intolerant with that manners

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟114,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus (in John) is pointing out what is written in their law (making reference to the Psalmists words there)

As is written in Psalms 82:6 (that exact way) which reads,

Psalms 82:6 I have said, "Ye"are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

After quoting that (from the Psalm) Jesus continues saying,

John 10:35 If he called "them" gods,
unto whom "the word of God" came
and the scripture cannot be broken;

John 10:36 Say ye "of him", whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world,
Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God
?

Jesus is pointing out that he was saying he is "the Son of God"
whereas they are saying (in his doing just that) as they understood it "that he blasphemed"
and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God John 10:33

When
it is actually written in their own law

Psalms 82:6 Have I not said, "Ye"are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

And that is what he is quoting to them in the context of that confrontation there.

So one might wonder, what was their particular beef with him "in that". Especially in light of what is shown equally so in the Psalm as Jesus chose to quote from that there specifically (which again says) "Ye are gods" which is depicting there the same as it relates to "the children of the most High" there. Even as he himself is saying "I am the Son of God" (the one the Father has sanctified and sent into the world) whom they believed not (nor the record of God) concerning His Son.
So if that saying is true of the children then how much more would it be true of Him? Jesus Christ (the Son) of God.
Not to mention as Hebrews 1:8 which bounces off of Psalms 45:6-7 in respects to Christ being ascended there where God "thy God" is spoken to the Son God and who calls the Son God even there.
Which verse of scripture Christ did not bring up at that particular point of time (but we are given to see this after the fact). But you would have thought that Christ would have quoted the later that was really declared later by the resurrection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
it's related to your post because if we are in the body of christ we are part of him
Yes I agree but that doesn't make us gods. We are disciples of God. And we follow Jesus. Every time He mentions that we are gods in those verses it's referring to the fact that we must be like God in decisions we make. But we are from being a god. A lot of people that don't follow God think they are gods themselves with the decisions they make.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟319,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
if we are in the body of christ...

What does the Bible mean by “you are gods” / "ye are gods" in Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34? <-- this article just say "we are not god because we are not gods" but doesnt offer valid arguments
They were called "gods" not in the sense of being deity, but in the sense of being judges/rulers/authorities. The Bible is very clear that there is, always has been, and always will be ONLY one true God. Isaiah 43:10-11; Isaiah 44:6-8; Isaiah 45:5; Isaiah 45:21,22, and Isaiah 46:9-10. I knew these memory verses would come in handy for something like this one day. Father, please give this one a clearer understanding of these verses on this post. Amen.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

but there he is answering about he calling himself God

i believe this

you are just being intolerant with that manners
Yes he is answering about himself being God after they question him about it but he's doing this by reciting the fact that they are ironically ok with judges holding such a title in their law yet for some reason they have an issue with Jesus who's above them holding this title. Was just a lot of irony there

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Haipule
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic