If we are born again when we leave this earth, does that make us immortal?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had this thought, which made me think. I was thinking about thinking, but really what are your opinions on this?

According to what scripture says, we are "born again" when we accept Christ and we will be destined to have eternal life from that point.

When are to be resurrected into "incorruptable" bodies, and it's in that form that we will live that eternal life.

"Immortal" merely means "never dying." "Eternal life" means the same thing, for all practical purposes, as "immortal."

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I had this thought, which made me think. I was thinking about thinking, but really what are your opinions on this?

St. Paul writes that it (the body) is sown mortal and raised immortal, sown corruptible and raised incorruptible. So, ultimately, the answer is yes: immortality is ours in Christ.

But it's not about leaving earth and going to a place called "heaven"; the historic teaching of Christianity and the hope of eternal life is that we, like Christ, will rise again. St. Paul says, "But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have died. For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead has also come through a human being; for as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ." (1 Corinthians 15) and also, "If the Spirit of Him who raised Christ from the dead dwells in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies." (Romans 8:11)

At death we die, our bodies are "sown" mortal, corruptible, etc.
At Christ's coming in glory the dead are raised, our bodies are raised immortal and incorruptible.

So, yes; on account of our new birth from God in Christ, through the waters of Holy Baptism, we have the new life that is in Christ and are therefore new creations in Christ. Having been united to Christ's death we are confident, also, that we shall be raised up and share in the resurrection glory of Christ. So the promise that is ours by the grace of God is that we shall have life, forever, with God; and this is the work of Christ for us; He died, He is risen, and He is coming again. This is the Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ModernMoses

Nov 19, 2016
Dire Dawa
✟100.00
Country
Ethiopia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
According to what scripture says, we are "born again" when we accept Christ and we will be destined to have eternal life from that point.

When are to be resurrected into "incorruptable" bodies, and it's in that form that we will live that eternal life.

"Immortal" merely means "never dying." "Eternal life" means the same thing, for all practical purposes, as "immortal."

Thank you for clarifying :)

Upvote 0

ModernMoses

Nov 19, 2016
Dire Dawa
✟100.00
Country
Ethiopia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
St. Paul writes that it (the body) is sown mortal and raised immortal, sown corruptible and raised incorruptible. So, ultimately, the answer is yes: immortality is ours in Christ.

But it's not about leaving earth and going to a place called "heaven"; the historic teaching of Christianity and the hope of eternal life is that we, like Christ, will rise again. St. Paul says, "But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have died. For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead has also come through a human being; for as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ." (1 Corinthians 15) and also, "If the Spirit of Him who raised Christ from the dead dwells in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies." (Romans 8:11)

At death we die, our bodies are "sown" mortal, corruptible, etc.
At Christ's coming in glory the dead are raised, our bodies are raised immortal and incorruptible.

So, yes; on account of our new birth from God in Christ, through the waters of Holy Baptism, we have the new life that is in Christ and are therefore new creations in Christ. Having been united to Christ's death we are confident, also, that we shall be raised up and share in the resurrection glory of Christ. So the promise that is ours by the grace of God is that we shall have life, forever, with God; and this is the work of Christ for us; He died, He is risen, and He is coming again. This is the Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran

Thank you :) This is what i thought and now i have scripture to back it up :D

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. - Revelation 20:15

I would encourage all immortal human souls to cast ones soul on the Lord Jesus Christ!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi MM, the Lord tells us in John 5:24 (see below) that those of us who are born again have "eternal life" from the moment we first "believe", and that we will not be condemned .. cf Romans 8:1-2, nor will we stand in the "Judgment" (Revelation 20:11-15) alongside the reprobate, because we have ALREADY passed from death to life :amen:

If someone dies w/o being "born again" however, then they die in their sins and they will be condemned. In fact, the Lord tells us in John 3:18 that these were condemned even while they lived, because they had "not believed in the Name of the only begotten Son of God".

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

--David

"He who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me,
has eternal life, & does not come into judgment,
but has passed out of death into life"

John 5:24

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There are 2 births and 2 deaths. The first birth is through water (a physical birth) and then a spiritual birth (born again). We have a physical death, but through Yeshua, the second death has no power.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say your spirit is immortal for that is pardoned. The flesh dies because of sin.
Its a good deal

Reactions: ModernMoses
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree on the points of being resurrected into an incorruptible body, and what was said before by several posters on that.

But I wanted to add, that we do not possess immortality on our own. Rather, God is the Source of Life. It is through Him that we have life. So yes, we will be "immortal" in the sense that because death will be no more, we will not die, but life itself is from God, and that will always be true.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I was thinking about the thought which you were thinking about thinking, and I thought, I think she may be thinking the same thought I'm thinking; but is she thinking about thinking about the thought I'm thinking or am I thinking about thinking a different thought than the one she is thinking because I'm thinking; then I lost that train of thought. Which is too bad because it was a good one.

Hebrews 2:14, 1 Corinthians 15:43, Hebrews 2:15, 1 Corinthians 15:55

Death has been turned into victory?

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

That we will be immortal is exactly what we believe.

John 8:51 "Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death."
NASU

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That we will be immortal is exactly what we believe.

John 8:51 "Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death."
NASU

You mean NOW?

We can be immortal NOW, while we are still living?

Do you realize how incredibly difficult to keep the Words of Christ?

No pain, no gain applies here? :)

Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We are immortal now. Your soul shall exist beyond all ages. The body, not so much.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do you realize how incredibly difficult to keep the Words of Christ?

Not "incredibly difficult", TW, impossible .. for any who are not already "in Christ" :preach: God's work in us and for us to do in bringing us to faith is specific (John 6:29), but even that we could not do if He didn't make it possible (by giving us the "gift" of saving faith .. Ephesians 2:8)!

No pain, no gain applies here? :)

What Christ did on our behalf was painful for Him to say the least, but by it He gained the unattainable for us, "eternal life", for all who believe :preach: (i.e. John 3:16; John 5:24; John 20:31 ....)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We are immortal now. Your soul shall exist beyond all ages. The body, not so much.

This ^

Or souls will continue on (in one place OR another). As for the physical bodies of the saints, apparently we will be supplied with a newer model, yes?

Upvote 0