If two vows are contradicted TO each other, which vows (first or second) should follow?

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If two vows are contradicted TO each other, which vows (first or second) should follow?
The first one is broken... and even though I would say cling to the first... if breaking a vow is sin or wrong... then we shouldn't get into the habit of sinning in order to repair a sin. In other words, if the 2nd vow is taken to replace the first... how can you break the 2nd and fix the first without being in the wrong, again?

• Useful
Reactions: Chang
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm not sure vows are allowed.

Matthew 5:33-37
“Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello Chang, and welcome to CF and to Traditional Theology.

I'm not quite sure why you wished to ask the question in TT, but I will need to ask everyone to read and abide by the Statement of Purpose if they reply here.

There really isn't a Traditional answer to your question, except that we are not supposed to make vows in the first place.

If someone has gotten themselves into a situation that causes some trouble with this, it's going to depend on the situation. If there are responsibilities to fulfill they should be kept if possible. If not, one needs to seek forgiveness and reconciliation. If the situation is complex, it might be wise to bring in pastoral counseling.

But there is no hard answer that a vow releases one from another vow, etc. Rather, we should let our yes be yes, our no be no, and do our best to live with full honesty, with everything submitted to the will of God.

I hope it works out for you or whoever.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi chang,

I don't see that it would really make any difference. If your foundation upon which you're asking this question is that breaking a vow is a sin, then it doesn't matter which vow you keep or which vow you throw out. You will be breaking one either way. If, on the other hand, you're just asking what any of us would think would be the vow to keep, based on order of vow or importance of vow, well for me, I'd have to know what the two vows are.

If in anger, I vowed to kill my father during the heat of some argument, but later vowed that I would never kill anyone, then I'd be inclined to want to keep the second.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If a person firstly vowed not to help people build up health, then break it and vow again that will help people build up health. Should follow the first or second? Should follow which one?
Who was the vow made to? And why would a person vow not to help others?

Actually ... who were both the vows made to? And why we're both of them made?

Is this about someone choosing or not choosing a particular profession? If that's the situation, why do they owe such a promise to anyone?

Understanding these things may help move forward in the best way possible. But I'd still say neither vow should have been made in the first place.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Chang

Jul 8, 2017
Hong kong
✟19,981.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who was the vow made to? And why would a person vow not to help others?

Actually ... who were both the vows made to? And why we're both of them made?

Is this about someone choosing or not choosing a particular profession? If that's the situation, why do they owe such a promise to anyone?

Understanding these things may help move forward in the best way possible. But I'd still say neither vow should have been made in the first place.

If the person made this vow because of ocd, but no sure whether he has agreed with the ocd vow. therefore make other second vow to cover the first one.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the person made this vow because of ocd, but no sure whether he has agreed with the ocd vow. therefore make other second vow to cover the first one.

Well ....

If it is because of such a problem, God understands. I would still first confess to God and ask forgiveness.

If the vow was made to a person, then that needs to be made peace with. I don't know the whole story, so I can't be very specific. But the reason for making the vow needs to be dealt with. If the vow was made in thanks for something done for the person, then give thanks another way. Or if the vow was made to pay for a wrong done, then make it up another way ... if the vow was made to a person. There can be other reasons, but I can guess all day and still be wrong. But we need to make peace with people, make all things right, in any situation if we can. Vows would be included in this (but in future, don't make them).

If the vow was only to God ... as I said, He understands. But still, we have a vow to God that will be unfulfilled. We need to understand the seriousness of vows (it sounds like you do), and this is a reason NOT to make them in the future. This needs to be repented of, and forgiveness asked. Thankfully, our God is merciful, and will forgive even very great sins. Part of repentance is to understand why we should not make vows, and try to be careful not to do it again. A vow to God is really pride, thinking we can do something, that may not be in our own power to do. We must humble ourself, and fully repent.

Just as with a person, we can look at our reason for making the vow. We cannot pay God back for what He has done for us, or make up to Him for our sins. But we can receive his love and mercy with thanks, and do our best to love others, forgiving them as He forgives us, and devote our lives to Him. But making a vow to God means that we think we have it our power to determine what happens, and we don't, really.

I think it's best to repent of both vows, be forgiven, and move forward in the love of God. To do the best things we can for everyone, for the sake of our love for God. Every human person is made in the image of God. We can treat them all as we would treat Christ, as far as we are able. (I mean acts of kindness given to them, NOT the same obedience, or worship, for example, we would give to God).

I still don't understand the reason for vowing NOT to help people, unless the vow was made in anger. I'll leave that one alone, unless you want to share more.

But we ARE told to love one another - and that means doing whatever we can for the real good of others, not just a warm feeling toward them. So that is the right way to go forward, following God, with no need of any vow.

I hope that helps. I'm not sure I really understand the situation, so if it seems wrong to you, feel free to ask further, or better yet seek out good pastoral advice.

God be with you.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chang

Jul 8, 2017
Hong kong
✟19,981.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi chang,

I don't see that it would really make any difference. If your foundation upon which you're asking this question is that breaking a vow is a sin, then it doesn't matter which vow you keep or which vow you throw out. You will be breaking one either way. If, on the other hand, you're just asking what any of us would think would be the vow to keep, based on order of vow or importance of vow, well for me, I'd have to know what the two vows are.

If in anger, I vowed to kill my father during the heat of some argument, but later vowed that I would never kill anyone, then I'd be inclined to want to keep the second.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Yes I wondering which vow should be kept is based on the order of vow or the importance of vow.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

That really depends.

If they are marriage vows then the second cannot undo the first, assuming no divorce has happened. My own view is that the first would stand unless there is a very good reason for it not to, but it is difficult to be certain without knowing the specific circumstances.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Vows of the kind you describe made because of OCD are not binding in any way. They are symptoms of an illness, and they therefore cannot be held against the person making them.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes I wondering which vow should be kept is based on the order of vow or the importance of vow.

Neither has to be kept if they are the result of OCD. God does not hold us responsible for the symptoms of illness that are the result of living in a fallen world. Saying sorry is all that is needed, and then try not to do it again. But if you do happen to do it again, just say sorry again. Don't worry.

The vows do not stand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So how did you marry if you did not make a vow?
I never had any vows in my wedding ceremony....though the Orthodox wedding ceremony is very different.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

Chang

Jul 8, 2017
Hong kong
✟19,981.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That really depends.

If they are marriage vows then the second cannot undo the first, assuming no divorce has happened. My own view is that the first would stand unless there is a very good reason for it not to, but it is difficult to be certain without knowing the specific circumstances.

If it is not marriage vow, for example, a person has ocd vow to not teach healthy Kung fu (let say she is a health Kung fu trainer) , then she vow again to teach health Kung fu in the future. Then, which vow to follow?

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
If it is not marriage vow, for example, a person has ocd vow to not teach healthy Kung fu (let say she is a health Kung fu trainer) , then she vow again to teach health Kung fu in the future. Then, which vow to follow?

If a person has OCD then such vows do not stand. God does not hold symptoms of medical conditions against us. The person is free to teach or not to teach, as she wishes.

In answer to the question, 'What should I do?' God's answer very, very often is, 'You choose; I will stay with you either way.'

Upvote 0