Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cause I've seen the promises come true and I still know SOMEONE has been looking out for me. I'd probably start to run along thought trails like "Did God set this story up to cause belief which activates the pineal gland and still connects us to the love energy known as God through our faith in it? Is the story perhaps still true in a spiritual way I'm not grasping? That's totally where my mind would go, I know because I've entertained such notions in the past. Then I found Kent Hovind.... lol

If the OP was true there would be no promises

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, there are plenty of non-Christians who believe in something.

Of course but the OP was specific if Christ body was found, Christ who is God than none of it would be true even the none Christians belief. You got to think of the ramifications of such a thing.

Upvote 0

Questore

MJ
Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2013
So Cal Mountains
Visit site
✟42,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
With the amount of deceit in the world, and having been warned personally by G-d of the need to resist deceit, I would simply refuse to agree to the 'proof'.

The Resurrection was not the only sign of Yeshua's existence, and crucial importance, but that the world changed. And when I met him, I changed.

My relationship with YHVH and Yeshua and the Ruach haKodesh is more important than all of man's 'proof'.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One thing we could do is interpret the three days as three thousand years.

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Thus His resurrection is still pending.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If the body of Christ were discovered, if the very central tenet of Christianity were found to be untrue, if He weren't raised, but simply died and was buried, what would be your response? How would the news change your life, if at all?

***This is a hypothetical question. We are assuming both that Christ's body is found, and that it can be proven His, for the sake of discussion only.***
Hello jimmy.

What a terrifying proposition, Jesus never in fact conquered death. For me life would be a hollow existence, no reason or purpose, a short transient existence. What an abhorrent thought, I am having trouble even contemplating this ridiculous idea.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the OP was true there would be no promises
He didn't further state "And thus God is not real and christianity is a hoax" he was just asking what we'd do if they found the body. If we're asking "What if someone proved the whole thing wasn't true" Yeah... my whole life would be..... that'd be like uprooting my entire existence, I'd have to start over, I'd probably start looking at buddhism lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not necessarily, like I said it could be a spiritual reality we couldn't comprehend, kinda hard to realistically pin down a hypothetical though haha
He ask our opinions and that is mine, no spiritual reality just one big lie

Reactions: Symph
Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He ask our opinions and that is mine, no spiritual reality just one big lie
Fair enough, I mean finding the body would really send shockwaves through my world, not sure I could really predict how I'd respond.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The claims of Judaism are all about the Messiah, starting in Genesis 3.
Perhaps, but in your hypothetical, Jesus would clearly not be the Messiah. It also makes other claims, such as one supreme God, and what his will is for Jews and for the nations. I would therefore need to assess to see if there's still a God, which one is the right one, and what his will would be for me. Whoever is the supreme God and will be forever, that's the one whose good side I need to be on.

• Agree
Reactions: mreeed
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Of course but the OP was specific if Christ body was found, Christ who is God than none of it would be true even the none Christians belief. You got to think of the ramifications of such a thing.
The ramifications would disprove the deity of Christ, but they wouldn't disprove the existence or supremacy of the Father. I would then need to assess what is true of God himself as a next step.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Lack of a body would not necessarily disprove the deity of Christ. Second Person of Trinity, being eternal, pre-existed the remains of the Crucifixion. Bodies themselves are marked by physical impermanence, with not a cell, or a molecule or an atom or quark of our bodies that had existed at birth now still existing in our present forms.
The empty tomb was always but a sign that Jesus gave to us as an adequate demonstration that he is who he says he is. But God in the OT reminds us that he can create a whole army of living soldiers from the rocks in the ground, if he so chooses. God would hardly require the crucified remains of Jesus to resurrect Jesus. Dust is dust, and the dust of the dead body of Jesus is of the same substance as the dust of the ground that is recycling constantly into life forms.

The disciples were worshiping Jesus as God even before the Resurrection, as they watched him walk on the waters and calm the storms. Belief predated Resurrection.

What the corpse of Jesus discovered today would prove is that the teaching for the past two thousand years on the Resurrection was in error, or worse, based in a lie. And if that was in error, what else, pray tell, is in error in the Bible going right back to Day One?
Of course, such a revelation would be devastating for the faith of many, even a preponderance of Christians, hanging on to our faith, as it were, by a thread already.

But the actual Deity of Christ is not dependant on the sign of the empty tomb any more than the curve in the road is dependant on the sign being there to warn us that there is a curve in the road. Partying teenagers may pull down the sign, but the curve does not straighten on account of their pranks.

The question might be that after two thousand years of the presence of Christ in our lives transforming our world, as saints and sinners alike strove to emulate Christ in their lives, is that sign of the empty tomb, now, after all these years, the sole basis for our entire faith in Jesus?

We judge a tree by its fruits. The tree of Christ is to be judged by its fruits. So, if two thousand years of Christian fruits is not enough to convince ourselves that Jesus is God, then what would be the practical relevance of having the sign in the first place? Ought we not already know who Jesus is?

Sign or no sign, if 2000 years of fruits is, in common parlance, nary but a big nothing burger, then where's the beef that we have been evanglizing?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mreeed
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain. We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified about God that he raised Christ, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied. (‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15‬:‭14-19‬ ESV)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the body of Christ were discovered, if the very central tenet of Christianity were found to be untrue, if He weren't raised, but simply died and was buried, what would be your response? How would the news change your life, if at all?

***This is a hypothetical question. We are assuming both that Christ's body is found, and that it can be proven His, for the sake of discussion only.***
Hey Jimmy. My best friend from grade/high school went to a conservative Reform seminary (Western Theological) and one of his profs wrote a novel on that very topic.

upload_2017-8-15_7-59-6.jpeg

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wonder how many people responding to this post actually read their Bibles. Paul addresses this specific question in his letter to the Corinthians.

He said this: But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain... if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.

Upvote 0