If they are against Christianity, then their "advice" is invalid?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been researching nutrition and in some cases, occult and pagans have their special diets as part of their religion.

For example, I came across an Anti-Christ Vegan, and an Anti-Christ occultist raw meat and blood eater. Both claiming that their diets are healthier than any other. They also tend to be anti-Government.

The fact they are against Christianity, closes their whole peculiar argument does it?

And I've seen people on normal healthy diets that are not vegan or raw meats and they live to 80+ years and in good shape. So I don't see how a normal diet is bad or so.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have been researching nutrition and in some cases, occult and pagans have their special diets as part of their religion.

For example, I came across an Anti-Christ Vegan, and an Anti-Christ occultist raw meat and blood eater. Both claiming that their diets are healthier than any other. They also tend to be anti-Government.

The fact they are against Christianity, closes their whole peculiar argument does it?

And I've seen people on normal healthy diets that are not vegan or raw meats and they live to 80+ years and in good shape. So I don't see how a normal diet is bad or so.
The obsession with food is unhealthy. Lord Jesus told us not to worry and Paul said let no one be your judge. You are right, a great deal of health advice is wacky and inspired by demons. Ordinary and sensible people seem to turn into mental dwarfs because some youtube recommends ground up rats teeth for bone health. Be sensible, pray if necessary and remember that people are physiologically different. What works for me may not be right for you.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You might find people like Hitler and Stalin were neither vegan, nor raw meat eaters, but were terrible people. What you eat is not as important as what you think, say and do. Peter was warned not to let his dietary preferences prevent him from going to preach to a Gentile household (Acts 10).

Nutrition is a science. People who do not eat right might be made sick. Not only were there deficiencies from a diet poor in vitamins, minerals, proteins, fiber and nutrients, there were problems with excessive eating. Obesity is a common disorder. It put people at risk of coronary heart disease, strokes and vascular dementia. America is one of the fattest nations. This is not something to be proud of.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

My doctor is a Muslim, but that doesn't mean I think his medical degree worthless, or his advice for my health invalid.

Just because others don't have the same religious beliefs doesn't invalidate their health opinions.

Caution however should always be taken as to source, and by this I mean what kind of training someone has that gives them any authority on nutrition or health, or whether they are just spouting off support for the latest "fad".

As Christians we don't follow crazes or fads, we aren't concerned with being envogue, but we aren't mindless idiots either...

Good health is good, and so we listen to tried and true professionals in their fields and determine a good course for ourselves, as Christians.

But honestly, if your exercising and eating a healthy and balanced diet, your doing the right thing, and any medical professional will say the same. They're usually the first to warn people against fads.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

it isn't bad for most people to have a normal diet. i cannot have refined sugars. most people can. soem people cannot have dairy or lactose. for most people it is a question of moderation

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The validity of an argument rests upon the merits of the argument itself. If a devil worshiper says that 2+2=4 it's still true that 2+2=4, because the veracity of a claim is contingent upon its own merits.

So the simple fact that someone is anti-Christian does not make anything they say invalid, regardless of the subject matter.

On the other hand, if someone is saying that consuming raw meat and blood is healthy, and indeed healthier than any other diet, they are selling you ocean front property in Vegas. It's nonsense. If you want to know what is and isn't healthy, seek out what experts in nutrition and medicine have to say, people whose words are backed by years of study, research, and peer reviewed science.

To suggest that a claim is invalid solely based on its association with someone is known as a genetic fallacy; in this case a guilt by association fallacy, a form of ad hominem argument.

It might be reasonable to say that an individual lacks credibility when they have shown themselves to lack credibility; and thus when someone has a record of being demonstrably wrong, their claims will lack merit; but it would still be fallacious reasoning to say that because Y said A, A must not be true because Y said it. A must still stand or fall upon its own merit and veracity. Because even a pathological liar can still speak the truth, a broken clock can still be right twice a day, etc.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0