If there were no school shootings, would you still want gun control? Why or why not?

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟260,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm no a mission to understand better why so many people want gun control or gun bans....to that end, if there were no school shootings or church shootings for that matter, would you still want gun control or gun bans? why or why not?

I think the only reason people want guns taken away, is because they have never come face to face with evil. Once they do, they see that they have the right to survive. And the evil person has no right force their evil on them. (my thinks)

in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think people only reason people want guns taken away, is because they have never come face to face with evil. Once they do, they see that they have the right to survive. And the evil person has no right force their evil on them. (my thinks)

in Christ, Not me
Who wants guns taken away?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟309,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would. The idea that anyone can get a gun with no verification of training and demonstration of safety is insane. We require more of people who drive cars and own cars.

We need at least that minim of legal tracking and licensing. Maybe with licensing for different types of guns.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
interesting and I thank you but I was looking for something more individual. What I routinely find in controversial discussions is that people are a lot closer then they think they are but they don't hear each other...so I am trying to listen.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
in Christ, Not me[/QUOTE]
I would. The idea that anyone can get a gun with no verification of training and demonstration of safety is insane. We require more of people who drive cars and own cars.

We need at least that minim of legal tracking and licensing. Maybe with licensing for different types of guns.
thank you for answering the question, you are the first to do so...so let me ask another question...do you know what the current gun laws are? How much tighter do you want them and why?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I confused by your question. I find it hard to believe you don’t see “who” wants to ban guns.

in Christ, Not me
What I see is

1. people who want to regulate guns along the sensible line of the post by Paulos, above, and

2. other people who mischaracterize that proposal as "banning guns" or "taking guns away."

There really are not very many who seriously propose confiscating all privately owned firearms, nor any likelyhood that such a policy would ever be adopted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I see is

1. people who want to regulate guns along the sensible line of the post by Paulos, above, and

2. other people who mischaracterize that proposal as "banning guns" or "taking guns away."

There really are not very many who seriously propose confiscating all privately owned firearms, nor any likelyhood that such a policy would ever be adopted.
the OP ? includes all those groups...iow's any gun control is included in the OP ?

Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟260,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really think your wrong. There has been a slow deterioration of our second amendment rights since I was a child. When I was young no one would dream about taking guns away, for everyone knew that’s what kept America free.

You can not control a strong person, you have to weaken the person first. Just the same with a country. It must be weakened first. So the slow grab for guns, first with this and than with that. Till only those that are in charge have them. Than we’ll see them for who they really are. (my thinks)

in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I certainly would want much stricter gun control laws. Mass ownership of guns makes it too easy for people to kill one another in a fit of anger or drunkenness, or to kill themselves in a dark moment. Sure, there are other ways of killing, but they require more work and are a lot less likely to be fatal.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I certainly would want much stricter gun control laws. Mass ownership of guns makes it too easy for people to kill one another in a fit of anger or drunkenness, or to kill themselves in a dark moment. Sure, there are other ways of killing, but they require more work and are a lot less likely to be fatal.
same question as I asked the only other person to answer the question...do you know what the current laws are and how much stricter would you want to go?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really think your wrong. There has been a slow deterioration of our second amendment rights since I was a child. When I was young no one would dream about taking guns away, for everyone knew that’s what kept America free. You can not control a strong person, you have to weaken the person first. Just the same with a country. It must be weakened first. So the slow grab for guns, first with this and than with that. Till only those that are in charge have them. Than we’ll see them for who they really are. (my thinks)
My impression is the exact opposite. All major political actors have given up on gun control as a political possibility, something that was not at all true in my youth. Laws permitting concealed carry of weapons have greatly increased over those years, as have sales of high-power weapons.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I really think your wrong. There has been a slow deterioration of our second amendment rights since I was a child. When I was young no one would dream about taking guns away, for everyone knew that’s what kept America free.

You can not control a strong person, you have to weaken the person first. Just the same with a country. It must be weakened first. So the slow grab for guns, first with this and than with that. Till only those that are in charge have them. Than we’ll see them for who they really are. (my thinks)

in Christ, Not me

Recent rulings have only strengthened individual gun rights and concealed/open carry has been exspanding. Bit off to think that guns are going away in the US.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
same question as I asked the only other person to answer the question...do you know what the current laws are and how much stricter would you want to go?
I know what the laws are in my state, or at least I knew 15 years ago when I looked them up to see what would be required to own a shotgun and rifle here. I'm fine with the laws in my state, but the laws here are much stricter than in most of the country.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
interesting and I thank you but I was looking for something more individual. What I routinely find in controversial discussions is that people are a lot closer then they think they are but they don't hear each other...so I am trying to listen.
I don't care much for gun control. I prefer gun responsibility.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

in Christ, Not me
As I said, there is no serious proposal to confiscate guns, or to deny the right to own them. If you really want to convince anyone that Paulos' proposal amounts to a confiscation of guns or a denial of the right to own them you are going to have to explain to us why.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know what the laws are in my state, or at least I knew 15 years ago when I looked them up to see what would be required to own a shotgun and rifle here. I'm fine with the laws in my state, but the laws here are much stricter than in most of the country.
how about federal laws...a while back I posted the general federal laws for someone who wanted stricter laws...when push came to shove the law he purposed was the same as a law already on the books. I guess if I boil it down my question comes to this, if the law was enforced with stricter measures would that be enough or do you still feel the need for stricter laws?

Upvote 0