If there was no heaven, would you still want to be a Christian?

title is the question

• yes

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • no

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I believe in hell, and evil invisible forces, even though it's popular to believe hell is just the absence of God, I also believe God is an invisible force for good and love, I know both of these forces have been attached to me, and others I know, but I wouldn't do semantic summersaults or go making assumptions about exactly who will go to hell, that is for God to decide.

OK. Just sounds like you're not too worried about damnation. For eternity.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I could make it any plainer, Abide. But let me give you an example.

If it was ordained that if you were found committing a sin for which you might go to hell that you would be taken to a secure detention center and tormented continuously for a year, then you might not even leave the house for fear of being found out.

If it were me, and I had children, I swear that I would keep them under lock and key. I would be petrified with fear for their safety.

And hell is for eternity.

Youseem remarkably detached about the prospect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
More to the point:)
If you want to expound on your answer use this and or vote.
The vote on this one is important as you can answer honestly without judgment.
Even so, think on this as there could still be a Jesus or not.
Are the people who said no Christians now?How can you be a conditional Christian? Are you only a Christian with the idea of " Whats in it for me?" I dont get that . You either Love Jesus Christ and follow Him with everything you have because you believe. Not because you want something.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟348,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are the people who said no Christians now?How can you be a conditional Christian? Are you only a Christian with the idea of " Whats in it for me?" I dont get that . You either Love Jesus Christ and follow Him with everything you have because you believe. Not because you want something.
Good to see you posting again, jaxxi

Upvote 0

Abide with me.

Jan 8, 2021
Norfolk
✟40,976.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I could make it any plainer, Abide. But let me give you an example.

If it was ordained that if you were found committing a sin for which you might go to hell that you would be taken to a secure detention center and tormented continuously for a year, then you might not even leave the house for fear of being found out.

If it were me, and I had children, I swear that I would keep them under lock and key. I would be petrified with fear for their safety.

And hell is for eternity.

Youseem remarkably detached about the prospect.
Bradskii, as you don't know anything about me except for my brief post, you are in no position to deduce that I am "remarkably detached" about the prospect of hell, I would suggest that it was a deal of transference on your part to think so, so let me make it plain to you, I take the reality of hell extremely seriously, but you seem to think there is no salvation for any of us so why bother stepping out of your front door!
I have experienced the transformative power of God, and put my whole trust in him as we should, maybe you don't?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,899.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Bradskii, as you don't know anything about me except for my brief post, you are in no position to deduce that I am "remarkably detached" about the prospect of hell, I would suggest that it was a deal of transference on your part to think so, so let me make it plain to you, I take the reality of hell extremely seriously, but you seem to think there is no salvation for any of us so why bother stepping out of your front door!
I have experienced the transformative power of God, and put my whole trust in him as we should, maybe you don't?

Maybe you're not aware of examples of when people have a fear for their safety. Fear of injury perhaps. Or fear of death. It can often paralyze a person. But we're not talking about some physical pain. Or even death. We are talking about eternal damnation. There is literally nothing worse that could happen to you.

I just seem to think you're a little, how shall we say, blasé about it.

May I ask if you have any children? Feel free to ignore that if you think it too personal.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,095.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't need heaven, I just need God. He is my "heaven," and everything else.

I have nothing apart from him (Psalm 16:2, Psalm 75:25; Philippians 3:8).
So your spouse is nothing? How else shall I interpret "I have nothing apart from him" and "He is my heaven and everything else"?

Any children? Are they nothing? If your god doesn't actually exist, don't you have your family? Are they worth nothing unless your god exists?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clare73 said:
I don't need heaven, I just need God. He is my "heaven," and everything else.

I have nothing apart from him (Psalm 16:2, Psalm 75:25; Philippians 3:8).
So your spouse is nothing? How else shall I interpret "I have nothing apart from him" and "He is my heaven and everything else"?

Any children? Are they nothing? If your god doesn't actually exist, don't you have your family? Are they worth nothing unless your god exists?
Perhaps you should take that up with King David, or Asaph of his court, or the Apostle Paul.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,095.00
Faith
Atheist
Perhaps you should take that up with King David, or Asaph of his court, or the Apostle Paul.
I'm taking it up with you. You made (or affirmed) the statement.

If you became convinced that there were no god, would you find your family nothing? If not, your statement is false. God is not everything to you. Your family is something to you. There is a place in your life for your family with or without a god.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My question (and I suppose yours as well) is essentially regardless of an afterlife and heaven, would you love and serve the Lord your God?
Yes. The alternative is meaningless existence and living with purpose is better than just waiting to die and fill a hole.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟348,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

When push comes to shove God comes first. I am sure that is what clare is trying to say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm taking it up with you. You made (or affirmed) the statement.

If you became convinced that there were no god, would you find your family nothing? If not, your statement is false. God is not everything to you. Your family is something to you. There is a place in your life for your family with or without a god.
I need more than just a good life that ends in disappearance and nothingness.
Temporary is not enough for me, there is a certain hollowness in it no matter how good it is, and particularly if there is a significant amount of "misfortune" involved. I need more than just terra firma.

And evidently, I am not the first, in light of King David, Asaph of his court, and the Apostle Paul.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟348,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
She should have worded it better. The Xian penchant for hyperbole can be only damaging to the people in their lives.
How about posting that in simpler English so I can understand ☺️

Upvote 0