If there was no heaven, would you still want to be a Christian?

title is the question

• yes

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • no

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
More to the point:)
If you want to expound on your answer use this and or vote.
The vote on this one is important as you can answer honestly without judgment.
Even so, think on this as there could still be a Jesus or not.

Im not sure how to answer the question since some believe we spend eternity in heaven and some believe we spend eternity on the new earth. I guess if your reference to heaven means whatever place we spend eternal life and your question is would I be a Christian if there was no eternal life then my guess would be no. If God had not sent His only begotten Son to pay for our sins so that we would never perish then we wouldn’t have a New Testament gospel as a result of Jesus’ ministry. Without His ministry no one would know who He is.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why would you believe you go to heaven after you die when Jesus himself says in John 3:13: "No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man."?
I also didn't mean to insult anyone, the idea just reminded me a lot of those pictures you see in "religious" drawings and not of anything I read in the Bible.
Where and when do you put the New Earth then though?

Some people believe that no one entered heaven until after Jesus’ crucifixion. Before His crucifixion they waited in Sheol until their sins could be atoned for by Christ.

Upvote 0

fatherforgivethem

He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Mar 16, 2021
Brazil
✟13,914.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If even Jesus said he didn't judge anyone (John 8:15), I can't do that too. It's just a thought: I think if someone answer "no" on this poll, he's not a real Christian at all. Please, correct me if I'm wrong about it.

I believe going to Heaven is a consequence of your good acts and being a Christian, but doing the good acts and being a Christian is about you having love, respect and purity at your heart and mind for God and Jesus, yourself and the other people. That's why it's so awesome. I don't see a single bad thing about being a Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,391.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think if someone answers "no" on this poll, he's not a real Christian at all.

I thought about that as well - before I clicked "no".
The thing is that the question in the original post has major implications. You cannot just remove "heaven" or an afterlife from Christianity and expect it to be the same religion. As a matter of fact you can not even remove an afterlife and expect God to be the same.
The Christian God, the one I believe in, wants to spend eternity with us. In order to give us the opportunity to choose or to reject Him He allows evil in this temporal world, and because He is absolutely just and loving He will serve up justice one day. That's what I believe and that's why I honor our God.
If you remove heaven then there is no judgment, no consequences of our behaviour on this earth. There is no justice. That's not the Christian God.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you remove heaven then there is no judgment, no consequences of our behaviour on this earth.

Actually that would be removing hell not heaven. Removing heaven doesn't change the fact that there is a hell and a judgment that will send people there. The idea of the new Earth would be the concept of heaven and actually the Earth will be a type of heaven because that's where God will dwell with man for eternity.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I thought about that as well - before I clicked "no".
The thing is that the question in the original post has major implications. You cannot just remove "heaven" or an afterlife from Christianity and expect it to be the same religion.
That wasn't the question, though. It was about whether or not we'd still be Christians if there were no heaven. There is so much about Christianity other than heaven, that it is very likely that most people would remain Christian if they had been Christian previously, the alternative being to accept one of the non-Christian religions or atheism.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,391.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually that would be removing hell not heaven. Removing heaven doesn't change the fact that there is a hell and a judgment that will send people there. The idea of the new Earth would be the concept of heaven and actually the Earth will be a type of heaven because that's where God will dwell with man for eternity.

From a European Christian point of view heaven equals the New Earth, hence I understand the original question as "if there is no afterlife".

That wasn't the question, though. It was about whether or not we'd still be Christians if there were no heaven. There is so much about Christianity other than heaven, that it is very likely that most people would remain Christian if they had been Christian previously, the alternative being to accept one of the non-Christian religions or atheism.

It all depends on the definition of "heaven" still. If the question simply means "spiritual realm" then you are right. If it refers to the afterlife as a whole then my previous comment is valid: there are major implications, and removing an afterlife completely changes everything about God's character and His plan with mankind.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It all depends on the definition of "heaven" still.
Personally, I doubt that this would be a big issue with very many people wondering whether to remain Christian or not if heaven were not part of the belief system.

If the question simply means "spiritual realm" then you are right. If it refers to the afterlife as a whole then my previous comment is valid....
Well, obviously it does not.

there are major implications, and removing an afterlife completely changes everything about God's character and His plan with mankind.
I'm going to ask that there be a decision about that. If there were not a heaven as it usually is understood, is what remains no afterlife at all (except maybe for hell) or, OTOH, that there would be the New Earth idea still as a different kind of heaven?

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,391.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to ask that there be a decision about that. If there were not a heaven as it usually is understood, is what remains no afterlife at all (except maybe for hell) or, OTOH, that there would be the New Earth idea still as a different kind of heaven?

Correct :)

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
From a European Christian point of view heaven equals the New Earth, hence I understand the original question as "if there is no afterlife".

Well, if there was no afterlife there is still value in being a Christian and having Christian values which benefits the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,391.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, if there was no afterlife there is still value in being a Christian and having Christian values which benefits the world.

And what is the sense of being a "good" human if there was no afterlife? You would just waste your life being kind instead of using the short time you got living for your own benefits. That's the whole reason why atheism is a self-refuting worldview: if we just vanish after death it would be illogical, yes foolish, to do anything that is not selfish (yet atheists promote the opposite).

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And what is the sense of being a "good" human if there was no afterlife?

To be good in this life.

You would just waste your life being kind instead of using the short time you got living for your own benefits.

Being kind is beneficial to the person being kind to others. It also helps the others receiving that kindness. That is an important part of being a Christian. It isn't solely what rewards we get in the next life.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If even Jesus said he didn't judge anyone (John 8:15), I can't do that too. It's just a thought: I think if someone answer "no" on this poll, he's not a real Christian at all. Please, correct me if I'm wrong about it.

I believe going to Heaven is a consequence of your good acts and being a Christian, but doing the good acts and being a Christian is about you having love, respect and purity at your heart and mind for God, yourself and the other people. That's why it's so awesome. I don't see a single bad thing about being a Christian.
You didn't mention Jesus? So you believe works and acts will get you to heaven?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And what is the sense of being a "good" human if there was no afterlife? You would just waste your life being kind instead of using the short time you got living for your own benefits. That's the whole reason why atheism is a self-refuting worldview: if we just vanish after death it would be illogical, yes foolish, to do anything that is not selfish (yet atheists promote the opposite).
Being good doesn't get you to heaven, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,391.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Being good doesn't get you to heaven, right?

That's true. Being good is a consequence of believing in Jesus, but if I was an unbeliever and there was no afterlife I'm afraid there was nothing to drag me to Jesus in the first place. If there was nothing eternal my brain would tell me that I should take advantage of the short time I got living.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's true. Being good is a consequence of believing in Jesus, but if I was an unbeliever and there was no afterlife I'm afraid there was nothing to drag me to Jesus in the first place. If there was nothing eternal my brain would tell me that I should take advantage of the short time I got living.
There is a sensible point to be made there, however. Some would take the course you have described; but for comparison's sake, what do we say about people who are ardent environmentalists or pacifists or humanitarians...yet do not believe in an afterlife? Or even a God?

They think their causes are worth their allegiance and commitment, just the same. If that's true, then it makes sense to think that there would be plenty of Christians who would approach their religion in a similar way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,391.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a sensible point to be made there, however. Some would take the course you have described; but for comparison's sake, what do we say about people who are ardent environmentalists or pacifists or humanitarians...yet do not believe in an afterlife? Or even a God?

They think their causes are worth their allegiance and commitment, just the same. If that's true, then it makes sense to think that there would be plenty of Christians who would approach their religion in a similar way.

That's a good point. We should be aware of the fact that nothing we discuss here can be generalized onto all people. Perhaps I'm also influenced by myself since I used to be rather selfish before God changed me.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well its tough to think about.
If there is no heaven and from another thread there is no hell then there would be no Jesus or God. So many scenarios to the question. I wonder where we all would be now if God had created us with no Jesus, no heaven or hell.
If he just threw us out there.

Upvote 0