Dallas
✟885,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Denmark. Finland. Sweden. Norway. Germany.

All of these populations combined probably wouldn’t add up the the population of America. Now I haven’t done the math I’m just shooting from the hip here but I know for a fact that none of them are even close to our numbers. So that’s one obvious reason.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,795.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
All of these populations combined probably wouldn’t add up the the population of America. Now I haven’t done the math I’m just shooting from the hip here but I know for a fact that none of them are even close to our numbers. So that’s one obvious reason.
When you compare countries prison pops nobody compares the total number, but the number imprisoned per 100,000. And the USA is way ahead of anyone else.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
First I need honest assurance the question is free of sarcasm
If you cannot back up your claim, just say so.

But if you're willing to pursue your point, name some of those "a lot of" ways that you think China is freer than the USA and, also, the ways in which it is not. We together can then see what the balance amounts to...with no sarcasm involved. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are they then,?
'Among inmates in prison for homicide, a sexual assault, robbery, assault or other violent crime, 30% of State offenders and 35% of Federal offenders carried a firearm when committing the crime.' https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf

That's about a third of violent crimes when a gun was used.
You know that's already illegal right?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you compare countries prison pops nobody compares the total number, but the number imprisoned per 100,000. And the USA is way ahead of anyone else.

Maybe we’re just better at catching criminals than everyone else.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
... why is it you guys have the highest incarceration rate in the world?

Maybe we’re just better at catching criminals than everyone else.
...and in a number of the world's countries, people simply disappear or are summarily executed, neither of which shows up on the statistics of people who are incarcerated.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,277.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you cannot back up your claim, just say so.

But if you're willing to pursue your point, name some of those "a lot of" ways that you think China is freer than the USA and, also, the ways in which it is not. We together can then see what the balance amounts to...with no sarcasm involved. ;)

If you can't admit the question was sarcastic, just say so. :D

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
'Among inmates in prison for homicide, a sexual assault, robbery, assault or other violent crime, 30% of State offenders and 35% of Federal offenders carried a firearm when committing the crime.' https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf

That's about a third of violent crimes when a gun was used.
this doesn't address the impact gun culture has. people don't have to carry a gun to be impacted by gun behaviour and it may give groups some sort of competitive complex or breed a type of culture that drives them to crime options quicker with or without a gun. Americans also tend to have a culture and unhealthy apatite towards freedom and independence that produces irrational behaviour which can be a product of their gun laws too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
this doesn't address the impact gun culture has. people don't have to carry a gun to be impacted by gun behaviour and it may give groups some sort of competitive complex or breed a type of culture that drives them to crime options quicker with or without a gun. Americans also tend to have a culture and unhealthy apatite towards freedom and independence that produces irrational behaviour which can be a product of their gun laws too.

I disagree it’s typically nothing more than selfish greed and a complete disregard for law and morality. Unfortunately it’s a trait that many Americans have.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,277.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's not what I'm suggesting at all.

I'm just wondering why the U.S. throws so many people in prison.

Partly I think because it is an industry.

The entire legal system.

Some poor refugee is forced by the cartel to carry a
load of dope across the border. He gets caught.

There's a quarter million dollars right there by the time he
is back in Mexico where he may be killed for his failure.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just wondering why the U.S. throws so many people in prison.
Liberalism. Even in a red state like Texas you'd find that the highest crime rates are in democrat controlled cities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol I guess gun laws can be blamed for anything, no matter how irrational.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I disagree it’s typically nothing more than selfish greed and a complete disregard for law and morality. Unfortunately it’s a trait that many Americans have.
I think gun laws are related, they perhaps are not the cause but are a product of the same culture you speak of. tethered gun laws I think would tame the culture if it were done 100 years ago. Today it will cause a whole lot of angry people who don't want to give up their guns which probably is not a good combination but could eventually would help to reform the culture.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lol I guess gun laws can be blamed for anything, no matter how irrational.
the US has a lot of idiosyncrasies the rest of the world scatches their head to. Gun laws are indeed one of them and it perhaps may not be the cause but I think it contributes to some of the other odd behaviours the US is known for.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the US has a lot of idiosyncrasies the rest of the world scatches their head to. Gun laws are indeed one of them and it perhaps may not be the cause but I think it contributes to some of the other odd behaviours the US is known for.
What do you mean by " gun laws?" Simply the right to own guns?
You know in places where we can not possess guns, the gun crime rate is much higher?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's hard to argue that (what you apparently consider weak) gun laws contribute to the current situation of lawlessness when gun laws were weaker--and are weaker--when and where crime is actually less.

The presence of a gun does not create disregard for human life or create covetousness of another person's property. Let's look at why people disregard life and covet the property of others.

Upvote 0