If the devil wrote his moral code in our hearts would we think it was good?

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
He who is ultimate truth can not refer to some higher truth, because, for one, there is no higher truth, and if there was, He would not be the ultimate truth. Same goes for His righteousness. Since He is the highest righteousness, there is none to compare to, or He would not be the highest righteousness.
You are making the OP´s point better than he did.

Sure it does, you simply suppress the truth of it. And you cannot define righteousness apart from God.
Unfortunately though, you aren´t defining anything - and, according to your own rule, you wouldn´t even have the right to do it.

Again, God is not in the witness stand defending Himself.
Indeed - poor theology is.

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That never made any sense to me at all.

Given that this devil is supposed to be enlightened and intelligent being... If he actually knows god personally, who is supposed to be omnipotent, then surely this devil would understand better then anyone, that rebelion would be futile. That it would be impossible to defeat god.

Yet, he seems to believe otherwise.
It's akin to me believing that I can destroy a mountain just by looking at it. It doesn't add up.
Makes no sense to me either. The bible story of the trials of Job is another story concerning Lucifer that makes no sense. Why would satan believe that when a being he knew to be omniscient told him that Job would not turn against god no matter what was done to him that he, Lucifer, could still win the wager if he visited enough harm on Job.
Betting against someone who you realize already knows the outcome is not too bright. Lucifer is obviously not as bright as we are led to believe. The story also says a lot about the biblical god who permitted such terrible things to happen to Job just to prove a point. Some might call that vanity!

Upvote 0

Holoman

Credo
Jun 29, 2015
UK
✟18,043.00
Faith
Catholic
That never made any sense to me at all.

Given that this devil is supposed to be enlightened and intelligent being... If he actually knows god personally, who is supposed to be omnipotent, then surely this devil would understand better then anyone, that rebelion would be futile. That it would be impossible to defeat god.

Yet, he seems to believe otherwise.
It's akin to me believing that I can destroy a mountain just by looking at it. It doesn't add up.

My understanding (though I haven't researched all the biblical material on Satan) is that Satan simply doesn't want to follow God's way, and so rebelled. He wanted to be god of himself, and he pretty much is because he is allowed to continue to exist. He doesn't want to overthrow God, but wants to cause as much pain and misery as he can because that is what evil is at base level, suffering without purpose.

Upvote 0

Holoman

Credo
Jun 29, 2015
UK
✟18,043.00
Faith
Catholic
Makes no sense to me either. The bible story of the trials of Job is another story concerning Lucifer that makes no sense. Why would satan believe that when a being he knew to be omniscient told him that Job would not turn against god no matter what was done to him that he, Lucifer, could still win the wager if he visited enough harm on Job.
Betting against someone who you realize already knows the outcome is not too bright. Lucifer is obviously not as bright as we are led to believe. The story also says a lot about the biblical god who permitted such terrible things to happen to Job just to prove a point. Some might call that vanity!

I think Job is widely regarded as probably a fictional story exploring the problem of pain and suffering. The conversation is an anthropopathism and not really to be taken as something that could have actually happened between God and Satan. It's a similar thing that can be seen in the Old Testament with many anthropopathisms of God. He is quite often described as being in discussion with humans who change His mind when he intends to do something. It's not saying God actually changed His mind, because an omniscient, timeless being already knows what to do, and what He will do, but it's a way of describing the narrative of the stories and how the humans perceived it.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
My understanding (though I haven't researched all the biblical material on Satan) is that Satan simply doesn't want to follow God's way, and so rebelled. He wanted to be god of himself, and he pretty much is because he is allowed to continue to exist. He doesn't want to overthrow God, but wants to cause as much pain and misery as he can because that is what evil is at base level, suffering without purpose.

That doesn't seem to address my concern.
My point was that this devil, more then anyone else, would comprehend how futile rebellion would be. And indeed, he is "allowed to continue". That's another aspect that doesn't make any sense. An all powerfull omnibenevolent being who has the power to exterminate the very embodiment of evil, would do so.

So either this god isn't all powerfull or he isn't omnibenevolent.
The more one digs into the story, the more bizar and nonsensical it becomes.

Upvote 0

Holoman

Credo
Jun 29, 2015
UK
✟18,043.00
Faith
Catholic
That doesn't seem to address my concern.
My point was that this devil, more then anyone else, would comprehend how futile rebellion would be.

That's assuming he wants to achieve something by rebelling. Maybe he just wants to rebel.

And indeed, he is "allowed to continue". That's another aspect that doesn't make any sense. An all powerfull omnibenevolent being who has the power to exterminate the very embodiment of evil, would do so.

So either this god isn't all powerfull or he isn't omnibenevolent.
The more one digs into the story, the more bizar and nonsensical it becomes.

He isn't some sort of source of evil, that once destroyed will remove evil from the world.

You'll have to spell out why an omnibenevolent being would exterminate evil instead of allowing it for a period of time, because you can make the existence of both God and evil logically compatible by adding God has morally sufficient reasons for allowing it.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's assuming he wants to achieve something by rebelling. Maybe he just wants to rebel.

He isn't some sort of source of evil, that once destroyed will remove evil from the world.

You'll have to spell out why an omnibenevolent being would exterminate evil instead of allowing it for a period of time, because you can make the existence of both God and evil logically compatible by adding God has morally sufficient reasons for allowing it.

If I am all powerfull and would allow, say, Adolf Hitler to continue living and exterminating jews, I'ld rightfully be called a monster and the very opposite of omni benevolent.

Upvote 0

Holoman

Credo
Jun 29, 2015
UK
✟18,043.00
Faith
Catholic
If I am all powerfull and would allow, say, Adolf Hitler to continue living and exterminating jews, I'ld rightfully be called a monster and the very opposite of omni benevolent.

What you're called is irrelevant. There's no logical contradiction between being omnibenevolent and allowing suffering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
We wouldn’t be free will children of God if he constantly intervened. It’s actually your own concept of God that you are stumbling over.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What you're called is irrelevant.

Disagree.

There's no logical contradiction between being omnibenevolent and allowing suffering.

Errr, yes there is.
An omnibenevolent being that has the means to end evil, would do so.

An entity that has the power to stop evil from occuring, yet does not thing, is not an entity that is benevolent. At best, it is an entity that doesn't care.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

At what cost though? Theres plenty of times where you have to make a decision that may allow evil to a small subset of people that benefits the whole greater than if you stopped evil from happening to that small group of people. Theres no reason to believe you can't be all knowing, all powerful,omnibenevolent and allow evil to exist.

• Agree
Reactions: Colter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you want to know why allow evil to exists you have to ask yourself why allow free will with real consequences? It's not free will if we are free to do whatever we want and God removes negative consequences. The only way there can be free will and no evil if free agents choose not to do evil.

• Winner
Reactions: Colter
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That's simply false.
Wheter he intervenes or not, changes nothing about a person's free choice to do X or Y.
If God we’re to have stoped the rise of Hitler then that would be interference . Perhaps man was supposed to and eventually did stop him.

Upvote 0

Holoman

Credo
Jun 29, 2015
UK
✟18,043.00
Faith
Catholic
Disagree.

Errr, yes there is.

An entity that has the power to stop evil from occuring, yet does not thing, is not an entity that is benevolent. At best, it is an entity that doesn't care.

Sorry but no, there is no logical contradiction there, so you are making some hidden steps between God is omnibenevolent and God allows evil.

It is in fact trivial to show there is no logical contradiction by simply adding God has a morally sufficient reason for allowing evil and then you have a logically coherent set of statements.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
He didn´t believe that God existed?
I know he’s atheist but his argument is contrasting his concept that God should run things a certain way with the events of our world. Atheist use this argument often.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting question. With Lucifer it was more a battle of truth verses error, an ideological struggle. Remember, lucifer had been a brilliant, loyal celestial being before rebelling against the rule of God. 'There came to be no truth in him". True and false liberty. Lucifer introduced the meme of rebellion but we cant call that morality, it was his ideology. Lucifer's delusion was that the theory or idea that he could ever be God of this world, that he could ever win his battle.

His followers bought into his doctrines of doubt.

Which is an odd story, right? I mean, according to the story....at one point the only entities were god and Lucifer, right?

Also, they knew each other didn't they? It's not as if they were separated from each other....they knew each other well, yes?

Upvote 0