If the devil wrote his moral code in our hearts would we think it was good?

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟326,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was watching a debate between jordan peterson and matt dillahunty and i thought matt made a good point here. We assume God's morality is good because we believe he wrote it in our hearts, in our conscience. But wouldn't we assume the devils morality was good if he wrote it in our hearts?

So how do we know if God is the good one or the devil is the good one if God programmed his morality in us, if we think the devils morality would be good if he wrote his morality in us?

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟169,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
With investigation, people would find Satan's morality to be twisted (just as people in the "real world" take offense at God's morality).

However, I wouldn't say that we assume God's morality for us to be good just because we all share it (even if many rebel against it in pursuit of other things). The beauty of God's moral law is that it's not only something that is on the hearts of all- but when we see it put into action, we see exactly why it is that it's good.

• Useful
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟326,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
why even worry about that, just stick with what was taught and forget about all that stuff because that is a really odd question dude...lol some of you worry about the wrong thing..

Because it's a good question. I don't just believe something because it is taught, I believe it because I believe it is true. I don't think anyone should believe anything because they are taught it, but believe because they have put in the time to think about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I was watching a debate between jordan peterson and matt dillahunty and i thought matt made a good point here. We assume God's morality is good because we believe he wrote it in our hearts, in our conscience. But wouldn't we assume the devils morality was good if he wrote it in our hearts?

So how do we know if God is the good one or the devil is the good one if God programmed his morality in us, if we think the devils morality would be good if he wrote his morality in us?
Interesting question. With Lucifer it was more a battle of truth verses error, an ideological struggle. Remember, lucifer had been a brilliant, loyal celestial being before rebelling against the rule of God. 'There came to be no truth in him". True and false liberty. Lucifer introduced the meme of rebellion but we cant call that morality, it was his ideology. Lucifer's delusion was that the theory or idea that he could ever be God of this world, that he could ever win his battle.

His followers bought into his doctrines of doubt.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

If God’s moral code was written in each of our hearts, we would all agree on what is morally right and morally wrong; there wouldn’t be such a diversity of opinions on what is morally good or bad, because all we would have to do is listen to our hearts.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟326,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If God’s moral code was written in each of our hearts, we would all agree on what is morally right and morally wrong; there wouldn’t be such a diversity of opinions on what is morally good or bad, because all we would have to do is listen to our hearts.

We all agree murder, rape,stealing, child molestation, is wrong. Even people who do these things believe it is wrong but they still do it because they enjoy it.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sure. Some do.

Manson and others.
God is creative, Satan is destructive.
It's not hard to spot the problem.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Because it's a good question. I don't just believe something because it is taught, I believe it because I believe it is true. I don't think anyone should believe anything because they are taught it, but believe because they have put in the time to think about it.

It is a question to raise doubt.

A brief Bio. of the two guys you hold in esteem.

1) Matt Dillahunty is an American atheist activist. He was the president of the Atheist Community of Austin from 2006 to 2013. Wikipedia

2) Jordan Bernt Peterson is a Canadian clinical psychologist and a professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. Wikipedia

Isa. 5:20
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

I wouldn't trust either of these two guys as far as I could throw them off the stage.

An Atheist, and a Psychologist speaking about Spiritual things.

1Co. 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟326,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me it hasn't caused me to doubt my faith, but I think it is a good question. How would one really know what is good, if we think God is good because we were created with his law in our hearts. One thing I was thinking about doesn't answer the question at all but has to be the beginning of the answer. And it was something along the lines of because God had the power to program it in us not the devil. Of course that has obvious flaws as an answer(More power doesn't equal higher morality) so i'll have to dig deeper on this question but its all i got for now lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We all agree murder, rape,stealing, child molestation, is wrong. Even people who do these things believe it is wrong but they still do it because they enjoy it.
What about abortion? Or the death penalty for certain crimes? What about the use of nuclear weapons during war? If God’s moral code were written in our hearts, there would be no debating concerning these issues, all we would have to do is listen to our hearts.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟326,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What about abortion? Or the death penalty for certain crimes? What about the use of nuclear weapons during war? If God’s moral code were written in our hearts, there would be no debating concerning these issues, all we would have to do is listen to our hearts.

Borderline issues are more subjective. We all know the extreme ones are wrong but why do we?

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟326,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On what basis would the devil have that kind of access? He is not the Creator or a co-creator.

He wouldn't but if he did then you wouldn't be able to tell the difference I think is the atheists point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Borderline issues are more subjective. We all know the extreme ones are wrong but why do we?
If you look at issues like slavery, some types of rape, or even child molestation; 150 years ago it was considered okay; but today it is considered immoral. What about 150 years from now? Do you really think what is considered morally right today will be considered morally right years from now? Morality has always been in a constant state of change. If a single moral code were in our hearts from the beginning this wouldn’t be the case.

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well alrighty then, sorry for being "vague"..but i think you know exactly what i was getting at and what i meant... *eyeroll* lol you dont have to get deeper with your post dude..you know exactly what i meant child...haha im just saying why discuss something when we are obviously in the last days..why talk about something that was and started at the beginning when we are almost at the end..its nothing new...so why discuss it...it doesnt lead to anything but the same thing that you people do over and over...disagree and debate..get to the end of the truth and then there will be something to discuss about...lol

and i didnt mean your post was odd in itself, i just meant when i read your question, it puzzled my brain... :-/ if i offended you in any way i am sorry, just know i didnt mean to do it in that way...

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟326,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you look at issues like slavery, some types of rape, or even child molestation; 150 years ago it was considered okay; but today it is considered immoral. What about 150 years from now? Do you really think what is considered morally right today will be considered morally right years from now? Morality has always been in a constant state of change. If a single moral code were in our hearts from the beginning this wouldn’t be the case.

If our understanding of child molestation, rape, slavery increases why couldn't one look at it as a way to get closer to the moral code inside of us? Instead of saying well since our morality has been modified due to an increase in knowledge it means that there is no objective morality? It's not like we see radical changes in morality. What is good since the beginning of man is good now, its just altered but at its core the same things remain and always have. Why so?

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟326,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
disagree and debate

It's possible to have these types of discussions without getting offended. I'm certainly not offended by any posts in this thread and I don't think its offensive to discuss something so you can learn.

Upvote 0