• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If taxation is theft, then I am greatly concerned for borther Vladimire Putin

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Jackson Cooper, Dec 7, 2017.

1. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+3,998
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    What are your sources regarding what you believe Putin is doing? Have you considered your sources may have an agenda?

2. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,038
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Not that it makes me right, but I have lived in Russia, speak the lingo, have Russian friends with whom I keep up, have travelled there many times, and follow various Russian-language Orthodox outlets online. I don't use CNN for anything, really, certainly not this.

3. archer75

+2,038
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Sorry, hadn't seen this when I made my last post, but I basically answered your question anyway. Make of my opinion what you will. It is indeed only an opinion, but it is mostly based on explicitly pro-Putin sources (including but not at all limited to his own speeches in Russian).

4. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Speaks Hovitos

+4,087
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    It definitely makes you credible and worth listening to!

5. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+3,998
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Ditto

6. Jackson Cooper

Jackson Cooper "Life is a test." -Michael Clarke Duncan.

+179
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    UK-Independence-Party
    I guess I just have to get used to not knowing the answer to a lot of questions. I suspect taxation isn't theft inherently, but I could be wrong. Not enough in the New Testament to answer many modern questions.

7. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,451
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Russia has the highest Church attendance in Europe. Its about 6%, triple the average(and just slightly less than in america). The building of churches by political figures has always been an Orthodox custom starting with Constantine. Even in the OT people built altars in various places after divine encounters. How in the world does Putin encourage phyletism?

8. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,451
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    You live in the United States and your worried about Russia's tax policies??? I dont believe collecting taxes is a sin, at the same time I dont believe cheating on your taxes as a sin neither. And yes, I try to keep my involvement in government to a minimum and always have my passport up to date.

9. Dawnhammer

Dawnhammer Well-Known Member

+430
    Christian
    Married
  10. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+8,035
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    gifts for deals, speaking engagements, etc is not the same as spending tax money for personal gain. also, it is entirely possible he made a ton of money before becoming the Russian President. so according to the article, not like his luxury watches.

let's not speculate.

11. Dawnhammer

+430
    Christian
    Married
    Since we are going to see Putin’s accounts two weeks after hell freezes over informed speculation of corruption and misuse of country’s resources in current cleptocracy that is Russia is only way to talk about these things.

12. ArmyMatt

+8,035
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    well, I don't think President Putin owes you or me any answers, so simply speculating about what he does or doesn't do with his finances just looks silly.

especially since neither of us is Russian.

13. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,451
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Were you this concerned with Russian finances when Yeltsin was in office? The fact is Putin is the greatest statesman of our generation. There is absolutely no politician in the entire west that is of his stature, not one of our buffoons has accomplished what he has.

14. Dawnhammer

+430
    Christian
    Married
    To be fair it is easier to get things accomplished in dictatorship when you can suppress the opposition and free press, control the media, kill your enemies, occupy foreign countries and rule uninterrupted for 17 years so far while pretending to be prime minister now and then.

Whatever that makes you a statesman or not depends on your viewpoint.

15. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,451
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Are you refering to the United States? Russia who were invited into Syria are now withdrawing while America after years is not.

16. Dawnhammer

+430
    Christian
    Married
    Well I was mainly thinking of annexation of Crimea from Ukraine after they gave up their nukes after guarantee from Russia to respect their borders.

Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances - Wikipedia

So much for Russian security assurances. Not worth a paper they were printed on.

17. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+13,143
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Folks, I'm not sure where the discussion is going. And it's not my intent to shut it down, but I'm not sure it is going to be in topic for TAW. maybe St. Justin's in a new thread is a better place to discuss this?

18. archer75

+2,038
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I was preparing a response to the question about phyletism. Happy to bring it to St Justin's, though.

19. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+13,143
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Maybe post a link here and folks can follow it to there? Thanks. :)

20. ArmyMatt

+8,035
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    and this has nothing to do with the actual topic of this thread.