• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

If Russia invades the Ukraine...

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by mindlight, Dec 7, 2021.

If Russia invades the Ukraine?

1. Nuke em

6.7%
  2. Full on conventional NATO response as if Ukraine was a member

13.3%
  3. Aid resistance, Coordinated sanctions and penalties on Russia

33.3%
  4. Just coordinated sanctions and penalties on Russia

33.3%
  5. Then let them keep it if they can, not our problem

13.3%
  1. mindlight

mindlight See in the dark Supporter

+2,195
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    If Russia invades Ukraine what should the NATO response be?

Why do you hold the view you do?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Confused-by-christianity

Confused-by-christianity Well-Known Member

+316
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I hate saying this, I don't want it, but I think we should push them out and do it hard, so hard that Putin loses credibility.

The reason I think this is that Putin is genuinely dangerous to us all...
    The following:
    1) Extending his stay in charge longer and longer - His time running the nation is basically indefinate now.
    2) He is outright oppressing his own people (I'm refering to his jailing of political opponents).
    3) He poisoned people - with nerve agent. That's a clear message of aggression.

3. Nithavela

Nithavela Cool catchphrase goes here

+16,043
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Nuke em! It's the end of the world as we know it (and who enjoys that world, anyway?)!

4. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid I guess there's no passing this test! Supporter

+7,882
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    "Nuke em"? Seriously? That shouldn't even be an option on the OP survey, not even as a joke.

5. Confused-by-christianity

+316
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    You'd hope to keep the ordinary russian people out of the matter.

Putin is a character who I think is getting nastier and nastier - how could we make a clear statement to him - that he will not be invading anyone or poisoning people any longer??

I have no idea (although nuking people isn't good)

6. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞ Christian ✞ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+5,781
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Under the current administration I cannot see any sort of military action for Ukraine aside from possibly supplying aid or weapons on credit/donation, and even that is doubtful. Financial sanctions are a given in this kind of issue.

7. mindlight

+2,195
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    It is an option but not one I would vote for. The only guy who voted for this option was joking by the way.

8. Petros2015

Petros2015 Well-Known Member

+3,215
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I went for #2 Full On, but it's very very important to communicate that will be the response ahead of time and coordinate the ducks in a row so it actually looks like it will happen or it won't be a deterrent and then it WILL happen which is not good because #2 can lead quickly to #1.

#3 and #4 won't deter or slow things down much after the fact

I think he's probably going to take it in the end.
    I'm not sure why he really wants it though?
    Figure out what's motivating him, and have a talk.
    He strikes me as interested in maintaining power
    And not particularly insane
    And he already has plenty of power and personal wealth
    "is this trip really necessary?"
    But maybe there's something that's making him think it is
    Other big players that keep him there only if he does X, etc

9. mindlight

+2,195
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    Russian politics is not really the best example of democracy but I do think that Russians like this guy and that he has probably done Russia some good after the disaster of the Yeltsin administration. Also, the Russians had a case for taking the Crimea since it was overwhelmingly pro-Russian in outlook. What Putin does not get is that Eastern Europe did not much like being under Russian domination and was glad to be rid of them and his ambitions to reestablish that hegemony are misguided. With Poland and indeed Rumania the case is very clear, but these guys are safe and in NATO. Ukraine is a slightly different case as for much of its history it has been a part of Russia, it is massively corrupt and quite backward also. Many of the people in the West want to become part of the EU to sort these things out many in the East a part of Russia for the same reason. I wonder how hard the Ukrainian army will fight against the Russian military. Personally, I think it needs the space and time to make reforms by itself and maybe a split between East and West is the best long-term solution to the cultural struggle between pro-Russian and pro-EU groups. But a Russian invasion is forcing this decision on the Ukrainian people illegitimately and that is why it should be opposed.

10. mindlight

+2,195
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    Part of the impulse for choosing #2 seems to me to be to suggest that Russia has no case re Crimea or Ukraine Eastern provinces and that a Western woke agenda can simply be imposed on Ukraine by the will of the Western nations. I oppose that while not wanting to make it easy for Russia to invade. Ukraine may well split in the long run but that should be their own decision. I do not think that Biden is ideally suited for a game of brinkmanship. Trump would have been scarier and might have even pushed the button. Putin can lose a lot though if he messes with the EU who buy his gas.

11. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞ Christian ✞ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+5,781
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I should note that I would prefer a very strong stance with no question as to what the penalty will be. I would prefer that penalty to be a strong militaristic response, but I just don't think that is really in the cards. I am not sure that NATO or the US have the stomach for that kind of response. The US certainly does not have a President willing to take that kind of strong stance.

Contrast that with Putin who is legitimately popular in Russia and has been leading a desire to throw their weight around the region for decades. He can make the argument that the eastern parts of Ukraine are barely under their control now, are more Russified and Ukrainian, and desire to be a part of Russia.If they can conquest the entire country then I don't see them annexing it, but rather installing a puppet "Republic" and taking the eastern portions.

If outright annexation is not achieved, then a situation like South Ossetia and Abkhazia is likely. Russia can make the claim they are helping the people there and set up more de-facto independent puppet states and we will likely not do anything of consequence.

12. Confused-by-christianity

+316
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I think they are in a way better position than they were during Crimea - but it would be a matter of time before Russia overcame them.

Yes - perhaps the western powers in the meantime could make it easier for prowesterners to get west and pro easterners to get east??

Yes - and, worse of all, I think Putin would do it too.
    My friend says they are all talk - I disagree - I think he would do it.

13. Petros2015

+3,215
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Huh? Part of the impulse for choosing #2 on my part is that mob bosses shouldn't take over their neighbors. I don't see Western woke agenda playing out in Eastern Ukraine or being a part of Putin's calculus (to be fair, I consider it to be a boogeyman conservatives tell their children about before setting the closet door slightly ajar and shutting off the nightlite). I'm sure it's more than that, but I don't think it has anything to do with Eastern Ukraine.

Been wrong before though; we'll see. I pay more attention to tanks than agendas. Tanks are agendas in action. Agendas are inaction in action.

14. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,855
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Very limited sanctions will be the most that might come in reply to an invasion. Nothing got Russia out of Georgia when she invaded that country. Or from the Crimea when she invaded that part of Ukraine, so it's not going to be any different when we have a spineless administration in Washington and NATO is...well, NATO.

However, Putin is sly enough not to try to annex the whole of Ukraine, which also would take too much time. He'll no doubt do what he's done before and take some of the country only, allowing the existence of a Ukraine to continue. That always gives the West the opportunity to avoid doing anything really meaningful.

15. Nithavela

Nithavela Cool catchphrase goes here

+16,043
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Or was he?!

16. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,927
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Financial sanctions on any and all Putin associates. Full seizure of assets. Sanctions against any and all Russian business, export or import.

It will hurt, maybe us more than them, but the sooner Putin loses power the better.

Reliance on Russian natural resources is the only reason firmer action wasn't taken against them for Crimea.

Russia is struggling financially, things like this are a distraction.

17. Trusting in Him

Trusting in Him Active Member

+209
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Sea Crimea did not turn out particularly well for Putin. Crimea got it's water from Ukraine and Ukraine have cut off the water and it turns out that Russia can't supply enough water too make up what's missing. So Putin is trying to avoid losing face. For Putin maybe normally stupid things now make sense, if it means that he can avoid losing face.

This could become a very bad situation if someone tries to do something really stupid. The caucasion mountains and the urassian stepps to the north are what used to be known as the land of Magog. Check it out! Opps! Is this another step nearer to the Ezekiek 38 / 39 war? This might be a lot more serious than you might be thinking.

18. Petros2015

+3,215
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Heh. What are the odds of that?
    I'd say those dice are pretty loaded lol.

19. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+9,988
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Nothing will happen. Its just the media spreading fear as usual.

20. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,855
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    We'll bookmark this post for later reference. ;)