If Republicans Want to Run Big American Cities...

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
NYC HAS had several Republican mayors. Bloomberg, for example, was a lifelong Democrat but wanted to avoid a primary with 17 others. Republicans couldn't find anyone to run do Bloomberg crossed over.

Was he anything like a real Republican? Of course not. Mist Republican mayors aren't.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
NYC HAS had several Republican mayors. Bloomberg, for example, was a lifelong Democrat but wanted to avoid a primary with 17 others. Republicans couldn't find anyone to run do Bloomberg crossed over.

Was he anything like a real Republican? Of course not. Mist Republican mayors aren't.
Giuliani was also a lifelong Democrat before he ran for mayor. Probably the best mayor was Ed Koch, a Democrat.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Neither NY nor CA is as blue as everybody seems to think.

I think regional attitudes and the "type of republican/democrat" that tend to go along with that region tend to play a factor as well.

...that's why there's sometimes very differing outcomes between Federal and City/State level elections. People may for republican governors/mayors, but not the same type of republican that would run, in say, a place like Alabama.

In terms of overall attitudes, I'd say states like CA are quite liberal in comparison to other pockets of the country.

I mocked up this little spectrum in paint to highlight why I think that tends to happen for another thread.

326732_b2c4188c914ba5b38666233d1e01cbf3.png

If the democrats run Mark and republicans run David, democrats can steal a lot of red votes in a federal election. However, if they run Ted, the west coast and New England Republicans will still with their own party most likely.

For instance, while Kevin Faulconer is the republican mayor of San Diego, he'd have a hard time fitting in with his party at a federal level I would think.

While he's fiscally conservative in many ways, I can't imagine republicans in the deep south going for him being pro-choice, pro-LGBT, heading up climate change initiatives, in favor of gun control.

I think he'd end up being regarded as basically "A democrat who likes lower taxes" by the federal level republicans.

I think in the more ideologically-strong (for lack of a better term) areas of the country on either side, the opposition can just be more ideologically nuanced or moderate and be considered as "the other party" even if they don't line up with the national party's agenda all that much.

I think it's probably fair to say that Kevin Faulconer (as a "California Republican") is probably further left on the spectrum (as people see it through national-level optics) than Doug Jones (as an "Alabama Democrat").

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Giuliani was also a lifelong Democrat before he ran for mayor. Probably the best mayor was Ed Koch, a Democrat.

Koch lead New York through some very difficult times. Of course, LaGuardia's times were even tougher.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Neither NY nor CA is as blue as everybody seems to think.

California Republicans tend to be less wedded to religious and cultural conservativism. Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwartzenegger, etc.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,615.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
California Republicans tend to be less wedded to religious and cultural conservativism. Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwartzenegger, etc.
All politics is local. The hard left or hard right politicians in national offices tend not to be representative of the parties as a whole. A California or Massachusetts Republican is going to look very different from a Alabama Republican. By the same token, a Democrat from Mississippi is going to look different then a Democrat from Boston.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,615.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Actually not true. He left the Democratic party in 1975 and became a Republican in 1980. He also spent over a decade in high ranking political positions under Republican presidents.

Upvote 0