USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see no reason to have faith in that claim, as many other religions teach likewise, unfortunately.
Yes many do profess other ways and claims, and "gods"

But GOD, in HIS WISDOM, by sending HIS SON into the world, shut up the mouths of every lying whispering spirit

Because many will profess to have "god" but deny THE SON

There is only ONE TRUTH, and ONE WAY

And he who denies THE SON, denies THE FATHER who sent HIM

And on a sense, calls GOD a liar

Because he does not accept GOD's TESTIMONY which HE has given of HIS SON

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Yes many do profess other ways and claims, and "gods"

But GOD, in HIS WISDOM, by sending HIS SON into the world, shut up the mouths of every lying whispering spirit

Because many will profess to have "god" but deny THE SON

There is only ONE TRUTH, and ONE WAY

And he who denies THE SON, denies THE FATHER who sent HIM

And on a sense, calls GOD a liar

Because he does not accept GOD's TESTIMONY which HE has given of HIS SON
How can I accept it, if I haven't witnessed it?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How can I accept it, if I haven't witnessed it?
What about how I accepted what I read in text books? It wasn't practical or even possible for me to replicate hundreds of years worth of scientific experiments. I was struggling to understand the "laws" that resulted from the experiments. ... I had confidence in my teachers and confidence in the process of science (including peer review). I also could look around me at airplanes, electrical power, etc. that were engineered using science and seemed to work.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,309.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
What about how I accepted what I read in text books? It wasn't practical or even possible for me to replicate hundreds of years worth of scientific experiments. I was struggling to understand the "laws" that resulted from the experiments. ... I had confidence in my teachers and confidence in the process of science (including peer review). I also could look around me at airplanes, electrical power, etc. that were engineered using science and seemed to work.
In all sorts of ways, I believe there is a world of difference between scientific knowledge and spiritual knowledge in how they are experienced, known and wisdom gained.

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Good question.

Most of the world operates on a measure of faith and trust in the truths discovered in the past by science. If we didn't, we would all have to rediscover every scientific experiment on our own. Obviously this isn't feasible.

I think the main difference between your example, and the claims of religion is this: one purports to address my most fundamental questions regarding existence (religion) and involves my "eternal destiny" - the other does not (science). As such, my standards regarding religion are far, far higher than my standards for science.

Does it ultimately matter if I don't believe in the principles of aerodynamics which govern the operation of airplanes? Not really.

Does it ultimately matter if religion X purports to condemn me to an eternal hell? Does it matter that competing religions explains eternity or the fundamental essence of Reality in different ways? ... Yes, immensely(!), to both questions.

So, how do we discern between the allegations of truth between one religion or another? Faith will not do, because faith in one path generally means rejection of another path.

What then would you say is left, if faith is insufficient?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So, how do we discern between the allegations of truth between one religion or another? Faith will not do, because faith in one path generally means rejection of another path.

What then would you say is left, if faith is insufficient?
There are different types of religions making different sorts of claims. For example, Christianity makes historical claims and it also claims to help people become more like Christ. Both those claims can be tested and potentially falsified. Buddhism claims to help people become enlightened, and that also can be tested and potentially falsified.

If we are seeking truth as opposed to self-improvement, then we shouldn't rely on our own personal experience; we need to test a large sample of people.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
There are different types of religions making different sorts of claims. For example, Christianity makes historical claims and it also claims to help people become more like Christ. Both those claims can be tested and potentially falsified. Buddhism claims to help people become enlightened, and that also can be tested and potentially falsified.

If we are seeking truth as opposed to self-improvement, then we shouldn't rely on our own personal experience; we need to test a large sample of people.
Christianity teaches many things, ultimately & including eternal life - something I do not know how to test for, or observe for myself. Similarly with other faith-based religions such as Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.

The Buddha in Early Buddhism stated that he ultimately taught a Path which led to only one thing - suffering and its cessation (cf MN 22, MN 63, SN 56.31, etc.) - something I can test for.

If - by practicing the Buddhist Path - I progressively experience and observe a decrease in suffering, are others really needed to verify it is so?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is: other faith-based religions claim similarly. :(
The problem is that none have claimed what HE has claimed

And TRUTH is HE came into the world

Which is both the verdict

And the judgement

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Christianity teaches many things, ultimately & including eternal life - something I do not know how to test for, or observe for myself. Similarly with other faith-based religions such as Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.
The fact that these religions make some claims that are hard to falsify does not protect them from falsification with respect to other more accessible claims. For example, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all claim to be divinely inspired. I have convinced myself that they all evolved in a way that is not consistent with divine inspiration, therefore I can scratch them off my list of potentially true religions.

If - by practicing the Buddhist Path - I progressively experience and observe a decrease in suffering, are others really needed to verify it is so?
Ideally you need to study a group of people. If you take a medicine and feel better later, it doesn't mean the medicine made you feel better.

EDIT: Also if you take a medicine and it doesn't make you feel better, it doesn't mean the medicine is ineffective. Maybe you needed a higher dosage or maybe you didn't take it long enough.

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The fact that these religions make some claims that are hard to falsify does not protect them from falsification with respect to other more accessible claims. For example, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all claim to be divinely inspired. I have convinced myself that they all evolved in a way that is not consistent with divine inspiration, therefore I can scratch them off my list of potentially true religions.

Ideally you need to study a group of people. If you take a medicine and feel better later, it doesn't mean the medicine made you feel better.

EDIT: Also if you take a medicine and it doesn't make you feel better, it doesn't mean the medicine is ineffective. Maybe you needed a higher dosage or maybe you didn't take it long enough.
That is true ... it may not be my practice of the Buddhist Path which helps me to feel better/suffer less. Correlation is not causation, of course. Unfortunately, even science cannot completely and absolutely prove causation without omniscience and knowledge of every possible cause.

I suppose it's up to the individual to determine what his or her standards might be; for me, I am satisfied with my practice and my perceived results :)

Last edited:
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no way to verify that claim ...
Not right now you don't because you base TRUTH in GOD on your lower carnal senses

You need a sensual felt experience a hit over the head/road to Damascus experience in order for your type of faith to be validated

You can't becone as a child because you believe you are wiser than a child

And because of this, the TRUTH is kept from you

It is a catch 22 situation

Unless you become as a child you can not see the kingdom of GOD and unless you see in the way that you want to see (with your physical eyes) the kingdom of GOD you can't believe

That is the prophecy of Isaiah fulfilled

"For judgement I have come...."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
It just sounds like circular reasoning to me.

circular-reasoning-in-creationism.jpg

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It just sounds like circular reasoning to me.

circular-reasoning-in-creationism.jpg
THE same HOLY SPIRIT poured out upon the disciples then is the same HOLY SPIRIT poured out upon HIS disciples today

And THE SPIRIT is TRUTH and leads us to all truth

And THE SPIRIT of GOD does not contradict the written WORD of GOD

And the written WORD of GOD does not contradict THE SPIRIT

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Not right now you don't because you base TRUTH in GOD on your lower carnal senses

You need a sensual felt experience a hit over the head/road to Damascus experience in order for your type of faith to be validated

You can't becone as a child because you believe you are wiser than a child

And because of this, the TRUTH is kept from you

It is a catch 22 situation

Unless you become as a child you can not see the kingdom of GOD and unless you see in the way that you want to see (with your physical eyes) the kingdom of GOD you can't believe

That is the prophecy of Isaiah fulfilled

"For judgement I have come...."
What does it mean to "become as a child"? How does that enable someone to see your deity's kingdom?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does it mean to "become as a child"? How does that enable someone to see your deity's kingdom?
I don't feel like speaking impersonally about my FATHER and your FATHER

You do not see HIM as "Abba"

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
THE same HOLY SPIRIT poured out upon the disciples then is the same HOLY SPIRIT poured out upon HIS disciples today

And THE SPIRIT is TRUTH and leads us to all truth

And THE SPIRIT of GOD does not contradict the written WORD of GOD

And the written WORD of GOD does not contradict THE SPIRIT

Yeah, so circular. It might work for you but its hardly a compelling argument for a skeptic.

Have a nice day.

• Agree
Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0