Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
we'd have Saint Nate Saint.

I took my daughter today to see End of the Spear. I've heard and read the story from different perspectives many times, but it never gets old. It's such an amazing story!

I suppose I should post this thread in the movie forum, but I hate posting threads in forums I never visit and where I don't know anyone. It's like approaching a group of strangers in a room to chat instead of talking to your old friends (and not so friendly acquaintances ;) ).

Anyway, once the thread is discovered by a mod and moved, it'll probably be the end of my interest in it. But until that happens, I figured I might get a few comments in from people here.

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, I think that the title is very interesting. I know there are lots and lots of martyrs for Christ who come out of the Protestant Tradition and would enjoy reading about all of them.

Could you tell me more about Nate Saint? (Interesting last name.)

And really, would you think that Martin Luther King would be a martyr for Christ too? (I do). I have heard of many many missionaries who would fall under this area too. I think it is a good thing to remember and keep alive the memory of those who have done so much to expand the gospel of Christ.

Upvote 0

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
thornygrace said:
Well, I think that the title is very interesting. I know there are lots and lots of martyrs for Christ who come out of the Protestant Tradition and would enjoy reading about all of them.

Could you tell me more about Nate Saint? (Interesting last name.)

And really, would you think that Martin Luther King would be a martyr for Christ too? (I do). I have heard of many many missionaries who would fall under this area too. I think it is a good thing to remember and keep alive the memory of those who have done so much to expand the gospel of Christ.
Happy Birthday!

Nate Saint is one of the five missionaries who went to the Amazon to evangelize the extremely violent Waodoni tribe of Ecuador. The Waodoni people killed the five missionaries (Jim Elliot is another famous name you might recognize who was among the five). The families of the martyrs later went to live among the Waodoni people, and they were eventually converted to Christ.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is so interesting the love of the family members of Nate and Jim. They forgave the people who killed their loved one and sacrificed personal comfort and safety to go there and shine the Light of Christ amoung them.

That kind of love can only come from the work of the Holy Spirit in them (in my opinion.)

Upvote 0

Sun2

Mar 19, 2005
Kuwait city
✟15,516.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Catholic Dude said:
Before Protestantism can recognize its own saints shouldnt they first recognize the Saints who came before them?

Im an ex-catholic [i love RC-my mom is RC]. I do recognize the catholic saints [ but don't pray to them anymore] My favourite Saint is St Lawrence who let his body burn on a pan when one side was burnt he asked to burn the other side. [ Thats what we were thaught ] i hope some one can shed more light on this martyr. :liturgy:

Any one heard about Graham Stains [ google] the aussi missionary burned to death in India along with his sons. Can he make it to sainthood if allowed?

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Catholic Dude said:
Before Protestantism can recognize its own saints shouldnt they first recognize the Saints who came before them?

To be fair, Protestants by and large recognise the saints that came before them and now are in glory, but also choose to remember those less famouns (or not famous at all) saints who are not "canonised", and thus prefer to emphasise the sainthood of all those who die in grace.

As an Anglican, I get the best of both worlds. We remember the saints of the pre-Reformation Church, though not all the same ones that Rome does, and we remember our own martyrs (Like King Charles I, Latimer, Ridley and the New Guinea martyrs) and may someday give holy days to the Wesleys and CS Lewis.

Upvote 0

joyfulthanks

The long day is over. Praise the Lord!
May 4, 2005
✟5,769.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
thornygrace said:
It is so interesting the love of the family members of Nate and Jim. They forgave the people who killed their loved one and sacrificed personal comfort and safety to go there and shine the Light of Christ amoung them.

That kind of love can only come from the work of the Holy Spirit in them (in my opinion.)

I agree. It particularly amazes me to think about Ellisabeth Elliot, who having just lost her husband by the hand of these very same people (and knowing that they had killed basically everyone they'd ever come into contact with from the outside), took her 10 month old daughter Valerie with her and went into the jungle to live with them and bring them the good news of Christ's love.

God's grace and love enacted through the lives of His people is amazing!

Your sister in Christ,
Grace

Upvote 0

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Sun2 said:
Im an ex-catholic [i love RC-my mom is RC]. I do recognize the catholic saints [ but don't pray to them anymore] My favourite Saint is St Lawrence who let his body burn on a pan when one side was burnt he asked to burn the other side. [ Thats what we were thaught ] i hope some one can shed more light on this martyr. :liturgy:

Any one heard about Graham Stains [ google] the aussi missionary burned to death in India along with his sons. Can he make it to sainthood if allowed?

Sun2,

St Lawerence is my patron Saint.

He was a deacon in Rome during a period of persecution.
Pope Sixtus was Pope at the time and was taken away to be burned and st Lawerrence told him that he wanted to be killed instead of the Pope.

A few days later the Romans came to Lawerence to ask him to turn over all of the treasures and valubles of the Church, because he was in charge of the money. He told the Roman officer to give him a few days to gather up the treasures of the Church. In the mean time he gathered the poor, sick and infirm and assembled them at the gate of the home of the Roman officer. He asked the guards to send for the officer. When he arrived he asked Lawerence what was the mena ing of this assembly. Lawerence told him that , "These are the treasures of the Church you asked for". The Roman officer was not ammused with Lawerence's sense of humor and ordered him to be put to death on the gridiron. As you have remaked, when he was burned on on side, he was said to have remarked. "I think I am done on that side, you can turn me over now".

He is the Patron Saint of deacons and comedians.

Upvote 0

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Metanoia02 said:
St Lawerence is my patron Saint...

He is the Patron Saint of deacons and comedians.

Which one are you?

That was a funny story. When I'm driving on or past Lawrence Expressway (which is almost certainly named after him, since many of the streets around here are named after saints) I'll remember to tell that story to my kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A. believer said:
we'd have Saint Nate Saint.

I took my daughter today to see End of the Spear. I've heard and read the story from different perspectives many times, but it never gets old. It's such an amazing story!

I suppose I should post this thread in the movie forum, but I hate posting threads in forums I never visit and where I don't know anyone. It's like approaching a group of strangers in a room to chat instead of talking to your old friends (and not so friendly acquaintances ;) ).

Anyway, once the thread is discovered by a mod and moved, it'll probably be the end of my interest in it. But until that happens, I figured I might get a few comments in from people here.

A.B.

Sounds very interesting. I'm always looking for good movie recommendations, since I hardly ever come across any. Thanks for posting this.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Come on, people, lets have a civil discussion here.

I think that remembering all the men and women who have done so much for Christ is a good thing, why do we have to get polemic in EVERY thread?

(You know already that most Protestants do not believe in the same things that Orthodox and Catholic Saints believe in, why ask such a question?)

There are a lot of men and women who give their lives for Christ, who serve the unserved, who feed the poor and do all the same things that have been done by martyr's since the beginning of the Christianity. They can inspire all of us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All born-again believers are saints in Christ's Church. I'm not sure how canonizing of special Saints is biblical.

To use the term Saint Jude is acceptable as long as you understand that it simply means one who is pious, godly, holy and pure in Christ. If you are going to use the same designation as some of the other denominations to set them apart above other people, now that would not be proper.

No one is greater than the other in the Kingdom of God and therefore the term saint should never denote anyone as greater than anyone else especially if that person should be the object of prayer then you are taking it way out of proportion.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Catholic Dude said:
What do you mean by recognize them?

Acknowledge them. You know.

But if you want specifics, we can regognize their faith, works, life.

Do you agree with what they believed in?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Usually "mostly". After all, they were only people. Even your denomination has problems with some of the beliefs of some of it's saints and even doctors.

Not a big deal, really. It's best to look to Christ as our example, no? His saints can be reflections of His grace and work in us.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A. believer said:
Happy Birthday!

Nate Saint is one of the five missionaries who went to the Amazon to evangelize the extremely violent Waodoni tribe of Ecuador. The Waodoni people killed the five missionaries (Jim Elliot is another famous name you might recognize who was among the five). The families of the martyrs later went to live among the Waodoni people, and they were eventually converted to Christ.

I had read about those missionaries when I was young. However, it was the Auca Indians that killed the 5. Here is a site about Ji elliot:
http://www.intouch.org/myintouch/mighty/portraits/jim_elliot_213678.html

Another interesting story, though happily the missionary was not martyred, is Don Richardson's experience in New Guinea with the headhunting Sawi tribe. Treachery was admired and they fought alot...however they had a practice to end fights between villages. A family from one tribe would give their firstborn the enemy tribe as a "peace child", and the worse thing anyone could do was to kill a peace child. Don used that explain what God did - sending his firstborn to mankind as a peace child. The book is found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0830704159/sr=8-5/qid=1140569048/ref=pd_bbs_5/103-5472516-5951809?%5Fencoding=UTF8

This is another interesting missionary story:
http://www.hyperhistory.net/apwh/bios/b3aylwardg.htm

Upvote 0

A. believer

Contributor
Jun 27, 2003
✟22,460.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
FreeinChrist said:
I had read about those missionaries when I was young. However, it was the Auca Indians that killed the 5. Here is a site about Ji elliot:
http://www.intouch.org/myintouch/mighty/portraits/jim_elliot_213678.html

Yes, I'd always known them as the Aucas, but with the release of this movie (and the documentary that preceded it by the same people, named after Elisabeth Elliot's book Through Gates of Splendor), they started being referred to as the Waodoni. Apparently Auca is what neighboring tribes called them, and it means "savage." But Waodoni is what they call themselves, so that's what they're called in the movie and the documentary.

Another interesting story, though happily the missionary was not martyred, is Don Richardson's experience in New Guinea with the headhunting Sawi tribe. Treachery was admired and they fought alot...however they had a practice to end fights between villages. A family from one tribe would give their firstborn the enemy tribe as a "peace child", and the worse thing anyone could do was to kill a peace child. Don used that explain what God did - sending his firstborn to mankind as a peace child. The book is found here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0830704159/sr=8-5/qid=1140569048/ref=pd_bbs_5/103-5472516-5951809?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Yes, I have this book. It's an amazing story too.

This is another interesting missionary story:
http://www.hyperhistory.net/apwh/bios/b3aylwardg.htm

I've never heard of this one. Perhaps I'll read more about her.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A. believer said:
Yes, I'd always known them as the Aucas, but with the release of this movie (and the documentary that preceded it by the same people, named after Elisabeth Elliot's book Through Gates of Splendor), they started being referred to as the Waodoni. Apparently Auca is what neighboring tribes called them, and it means "savage." But Waodoni is what they call themselves, so that's what they're called in the movie and the documentary.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.. It had been years since I read a book about them and hadn't read Elisabeth's book.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.