If Protestantism is true, why they are not united? (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cool! When I am not writing on this interminable dissertation of mine, I am playing baseball with my young son and helping my wife with the new daughter we just had.

Okay. I have tried to give voice to the Middle Eastern Christians as much as I can without delving into the political aspect too much.

It just grieves me to see that many Evangelicals let the demands of Dispensationalist eschatology, and Zionist politics, which often go hand-in-hand, blind them to the persecution and slaughter of their ancient family in Christ in Syria, Lebanon, and Palestine. I think they would be in for a rude awakening if they saw how the Orthodox Jewish community in Israel treats Christians.

What do you mean? By evangelical scholars?

Certainly there are some that are plausible. There aren't any at the moment that I can think of that I would dwell upon.

I want to take the opportunity to apologize for that comment. I made it in haste in the heat of the back-and-forth and am sorry for it. Please forgive me.

It can be very difficult, especially when both families are mostly if not all Baptists or Evangelicals of some sort. I try to meet them at their interests and once in a while they entertain mine.

I harbor no ill-will towards my personal SBC experience, which has not been one of ignorance or bigotry. I gained my love for the church and for Scripture growing up in one.

At this point in my life, reading all I have read, and praying and agonizing for years over so many different theological and ecclesiological matters, the SBC or Evangelicalism is just not what I identify with or find spiritual challenge and nourishment.

I totally understand how you and many others have had terrible and even damaging experiences in Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy. It just troubles me and becomes a stumbling block when it is phrased in certain ways or with a certain mentality. I say this fully realizing that I probably do not express my problems with such things as well as I could.

I can sympathize with that. The SBC environment I grew up in was pop-Arminian by default. This is probably why I went through a Reformed phase and found solace in a Presbyterian church for a while. I still love A. W. Pink's The Sovereignty of God in so many ways. It is on my bookshelf and I read it over again from time to time.

I still identify with Reformed Christians on some levels both intellectually and theologically. Although I am not much of a strict Calvinist, I still identify myself as "Augustinian" when it comes to matters of election/predestination, divine grace, and the human will. Without Augustine's ground-breaking interpretations of Romans, there arguably would not have been a recognizable Luther or Calvin.

Okay. I have found conversations interesting that I have had with you in the past. You have also given me cause to examine they way I express myself. I will try not to use the term "lonewolf" to describe you in a pejorative manner.

Thanks for the understanding. The same goes for me. I will try to express myself better and not use demeaning terms to describe the issues or problems that I have with Protestantism and Evangelicalism.

THANK YOU for the come to Jesus expressions above. Very impressive and heartfelt.

Hats off to you T! For showing you are human like the rest of us (besides the excellent commentary)

For the record I am not a fan of the Killer Israel machine either, even though I come off as pro-Israel in some ways. There are deeper spiritual issues behind that matter that I am respectful of. But the politics and killing. Hell no!

s

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Chicken make lousy house pet. Dana Carvey

You know, I've known a few people who kept them for house pets.

Closest I came was to keep the chicks in a wading pool in the garage until they got big enough to go outside. Well ... I did have a favorite little Japanese Bantam rooster that I let sleep in a box in the house the first night I put everyone else in the coop.

Never make a pet of a rooster. I'm only glad he was only a few inches tall and maybe half a pound, or he would have grown up dangerous, LOL.

Rick, I did not know you had chickens. :thumbsup:

Mine are locked in their small coop+yard - my husband stole the fence to put around the tomatoes (and it's actually keeping the squirrel away) ... but now I need a new chicken fence. My chickens are very unhappy today.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Free-Roaming chickens reek massive havoc, beware. :p

I need to know about this. I've been putting a circle around the ant hills bubbling up in the yard. My girls love an ant party. But I've been looking forward to when they're mature enough to patrol the unfenced parts of the yard, especially for spiders and bugs up around the house.
I just let my girls out in their run. Well, I opened the door at least. They were all awake, but still roosting. Usually they are on the floor waiting to run out into their run.

Reactions: squint
Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Τίποτα νέο μυθιστόρημα τίποτα
Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
I need to know about this. I've been putting a circle around the ant hills bubbling up in the yard. My girls love an ant party. But I've been looking forward to when they're mature enough to patrol the unfenced parts of the yard, especially for spiders and bugs up around the house.
I just let my girls out in their run. Well, I opened the door at least. They were all awake, but still roosting. Usually they are on the floor waiting to run out into their run.

My daughter's young rooster is learning to crow. It's quite comical.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

It depends on your property. What you have, what you value. How much space you have.

Chickens scratch. You don't want them in a flower bed or around small plants. Definitely not seedlings! Under shrubs they will spread mulch. If all your plants are larger and you don't have decorative mulch, it can be ok.

Chickens poop. On concrete it will stain, at least temporarily. And permanently if you don't clean it up. I've never had them on wood floors or decking. And if you like to walk barefoot outside - well, you'll want to stop that. I usually have a pair of shoes/boots just for walking where the poultry are.

Chickens will kill grass and make dirt patches for sunbathing. If you have a large number of chickens in a small area (say 20 in a 20x20 foot run - you are going to have bare ground very soon. I had about 100 or so on an acre in Florida (lush grass) and they only managed to scratch out a few areas.

It can also be difficult to get them to lay where you want them to if they have free access. But if you give them nest boxes with some dummy eggs or golf balls in them and keep them locked in for the mornings when they start to lay, they'll get the idea. Just don't be surprised if it later turns into an Easter Egg hunt. Mine so preferred a patch of Pampas grass that they would try to hold the eggs until I let them out, then a half-dozen or so made a beeline for the grass and actually stood in line for their turn, lol.

They do a fair job at controlling bugs if you let them go though. Good thing your like ants. I trained my first chickens on ants, lol. Ducks do an even better job but are MUCH messier!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My daughter's young rooster is learning to crow. It's quite comical.

Awwww lol! That was always a favorite of mine. In Texas I had enough space and a large enough flock to always keep about 3-5, and I loved when they were learning to crow. Each was so distinct when young, too. I laughed at them all!

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Protestantism is true, why they are not united?

Since Catholicism is no longer "true", Catholics can't see the unity of Protestants because it would mean accepting the errors of Catholicism.
(At least the error appropriating the word to identify themselves to the exclusion of other Christians.)
Catholicism doesn't seem to want to believe that what they inadvertently teach by example is "official teaching", even if it is officials providing the examples.

That provides cover for most of the obvious errors.

No catholics were harmed, and no animals were tested, in the writing of this post.:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rick Otto, your post would be better if it started with a true premise but since it didn't it ended in an absurd conclusion.

The premise is as true as the difference between catholic and Catholic.
The reason that truth escapes you is because so many of your beliefs depend upon it being true.

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
One gets to thinking on a thread like this; why are there dozens of denominations if everybody is supposed to be in the body of Christ and they're all supposed to believe the 'essentials' of the gospel?

For the same reason Jesus said Moses allowed divorce the hardness of our hearts. Didnt catch God off guard Jesus said when the Kingdom was grown it would have branches and the fowls (fouls) of the air would rest in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
For the same reason Jesus said Moses allowed divorce the hardness of our hearts. Didnt catch God off guard Jesus said when the Kingdom was grown it would have branches and the fowls (fouls) of the air would rest in it.
So, does your reply mean that the gospel does as much but no more than the preaching of Moses did in ancient Israel?

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
One gets to thinking on a thread like this; why are there dozens of denominations if everybody is supposed to be in the body of Christ and they're all supposed to believe the 'essentials' of the gospel?

You know how hard it is to get all of us to agree on every nook and cranny of matters of faith right now? Add to that politics, money, not-so christian anger and the concept of free will and mix in a little papal indignance at one time or another and

BAM

You got a denomination.

These days you can even replace Pope with current church denomination and you'd eventually get a new one.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You know how hard it is to get all of us to agree on every nook and cranny of matters of faith right now? Add to that politics, money, not-so christian anger and the concept of free will and mix in a little papal indignance at one time or another and

BAM

You got a denomination.

These days you can even replace Pope with current church denomination and you'd eventually get a new one.
Sorry to ask, I normally can work out what is meant but in this case I need to ask what did you intend by "indignance"?

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I really like how you see!

You haven't been reading Mark 4 lately have you? ;)

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Sorry to ask, I normally can work out what is meant but in this case I need to ask what did you intend by "indignance"?

Let's face it Coffee, there are parts of the Roman Catholic part of christianity that Protestants still protest. I'm among them...I just don't go screaming that Catholics, Pope,Clergy and Laity are wicked or sinful or the 666 creature in Revelations. and I don't discount your faith...I just disagree with a few of the ways rome did things in the past and that being held as the full and complete truth.

The fact is, every single one of us only have one complete truth...no matter of denomination.

Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.