If Protestantism is true, why they are not united? (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We see in part so we teach in part. It is man who has divided those who have recieved our Lords grace not God. Christ is not divided. When there are divisions amongst us it is because we are yet carnal looking to these things of the earth instead of on earth as it is in heaven. Christ is not going to return for his churches but for his church. and so let God be true and all who disagree with him the liars
I completely agree, it is human frailties and sin that lead to divisions and it is human divisions that have created the many 'churches' we see on earth today. I also agree that the Lord's prayer petitions God that God's will be done as in heaven upon this earth. I believe that there is one church here on earth that is the church that Jesus Christ called out of the world to himself; for me that church is the Catholic Church which is the body of Christ yet individual Christians and communities of Christians who maintain only an imperfect union with the Catholic Church are still part of the Catholic Church as separated brethren. My perspective is that there is in fact one earthly Church of Christ which does in fact consist of all who are in communion with the Catholic Church either by being in full communion with her or by being in an imperfect union with her through baptism and through acceptance of the gospel. Thus Catholics claim to be Christ's church because they have unity as one body in communion through one Spirit, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father of all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I complete agree, it is human frailties and sin that lead to divisions and it is human divisions that have created the many 'churches' we see on earth today. I also agree that the Lord's prayer petitions God that God's will be done as in heaven upon this earth. I believe that there is one church here on earth that is the church that Jesus Christ called out of the world to himself; for me that church is the Catholic Church which is the body of Christ yet individual Christians and communities of Christians who maintain only an imperfect union with the Catholic Church are still part of the Catholic Church as separated brethren. My perspective is that there is in fact one earthly Church of Christ which does in fact consist of all who are in communion with the Catholic Church either by being in full communion with her or by being in an imperfect union with her through baptism and through acceptance of the gospel. Thus Catholics claim to be Christ's church because they have unity as one body in communion through one Spirit, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father of all.
I in no way exclude believers who are in the Roman catholic church or greek orthodox or or jewish believers in Yashua as a part of Gods church. Here is yet the carnal issue yet again for your own church has its roots in a split of the early gentile church which had not so many years after Pauls death divided itself from Judaism( wich non of the apostles taught). If there is to be a unity it will not come through conversion or those who are determined on a set course through the leadership roles of their individaul sects but it will have to be through the example of individuals who will look past our various understandings and see Christ in our brothers and sisters and embrace each other as born of the same womb

Upvote 0
C

catholichomeschooler

I in no way exclude believers who are in the Roman catholic church or greek orthodox or or jewish believers in Yashua as a part of Gods church. Here is yet the carnal issue yet again for your own church has its roots in a split of the early gentile church which had not so many years after Pauls death divided itself from Judaism( wich non of the apostles taught). If there is to be a unity it will not come through conversion or those who are determined on a set course through the leadership roles of their individaul sects but it will have to be through the example of individuals who will look past our various understandings and see Christ in our brothers and sisters and embrace each other as born of the same womb

In order to offer us a means of Christian unity, Jesus established a single Church.

Unity will occur when all Christians are in full communion with this Church.

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In order to offer us a means of Christian unity, Jesus established a single Church.

or else death worthy (not to mention realized in some cases) was the rightful cause of dismissal of that particular sects claims.

Everyone on earth could be RCC members and every last one of them inclusive of the pope would still be sinners.

Sin indwelling believers is reason enough to avoid alliances with large numbers of them.

The gospel message of believe 'sinning me' only or you are death worthy was never the Gospel to begin with.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP

He instituted the church of christ, correct. I doubt that he considered differing ways of serving the Church of Christ as non-members.

And THIS point is what infuriates me with the Catholic Church at times.

The Bishop of Rome is but one leader in the scheme of the church, the Catholic church is but one body in the Church of Christ. do not confuse the issue cause Roman doctrine wishes to claim supremacy.

Upvote 0
C

catholichomeschooler

He instituted the church of christ, correct. I doubt that he considered differing ways of serving the Church of Christ as non-members.

And THIS point is what infuriates me with the Catholic Church at times.

The Bishop of Rome is but one leader in the scheme of the church, the Catholic church is but one body in the Church of Christ. do not confuse the issue cause Roman doctrine wishes to claim supremacy.

Do you believe that the Church Jesus started teaches any false doctrines?

Upvote 0
C

catholichomeschooler

The early church no, the Catholic establishment arguing the total supremacy of Rome...yes.

The early Church and the Catholic Church are one and the same, and they teach the same doctrines. Catholic doctrine never changes.

Jesus only started one Church, and he promised to be with it forever.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
The early Church and the Catholic Church are one and the same, and they teach the same doctrines. Catholic doctrine never changes.

Historically, you're not accurate. The catholic concept is the universal Church of Christ. And for a while Rome understood it was but one part of that body as did Constantiople, the Oriental church, the Coptic church and even the Ethopian church. Then the first schism when Rome wished to declare total supremacy.

Sorry but no, man-made doctrines of supremacy is not one in the same as the Church of Rome exclusively being the only Church of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Your statment is not true by history or by new testament scripture. also Paul says the gentile church will be complete when Christ is accepted by Israel as the old testament has spoken.

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your statment is not true by history or by new testament scripture. also Paul says the gentile church will be complete when he is accepted by Israel as the old testament has spoken.

Very good! Again one of the few who post here who has seen this principle and fact, but it is our destiny!

It starts with us showing mercy between ourselves. Then we are 'fit to carry' so to speak.

s

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Historically, you're not accurate. The catholic concept is the universal Church of Christ. And for a while Rome understood it was but one part of that body as did Constantiople, the Oriental church, the Coptic church and even the Ethopian church. Then the first schism when Rome wished to declare total supremacy.

Sorry but no, man-made doctrines of supremacy is not one in the same as the Church of Rome exclusively being the only Church of Christ.
Wasn't the first schism within the church that which occurred around 431 AD with the Assyrian church - earlier divisions being between Christianity and various early heresies such as that of the ebionites and that of the Donatists and that of Marcion?

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'll tell you one thing, even though the Eastern Churches have often split over time, today we are united by blood. All Christians, especially in the Middle East.

Coptic, Assyrian, Melkite, Chaldean, Latin, Protestant...are all banding together through shared persecution, in the Levant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll tell you one thing, even though the Eastern Churches have often split over time, today we are united by blood. All Christians, especially in the Middle East.

Coptic, Assyrian, Melkite, Chaldean, Latin, Protestant...are all banding together through shared persecution, in the Levant.

To most Evangelicals Palestinian and Syrian Christians do not even exist. If they do know about them, they seem to be viewed with suspicion because they are too "Catholic."

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
To most Evangelicals Palestinian and Syrian Christians do not even exist. If they do know about them, they seem to be viewed with suspicion because they are too "Catholic."
Yes, they are very Catholic even when they are Orthodox because that's what ancient Christianity was and is today.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Howdy, Tza... hope you're havin' a great day.

I don't think most Evangelicals give much thought to Catholics at all.
My bias in an opinion on that would be any suspicion would be that they are too "Arab" and culturally misogynistic, when not busy with misanthropy.

Do you generaly prefer the company and/or conversation of Catholics to Evangelicals for some reason. Maybe it's just me, but I can't recall any of your posts showing them much respect or defending them about anything, not that I've read all of your posts, but I've been here in GT long and consistently enough to feel confident in saying that.
...And not like I have any great affection for Evangelicals to defend... just wondering about what I think I've observed, thanks.:angel:

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My bias in an opinion on that would be any suspicion would be that they are too "Arab" and culturally misogynistic, when not busy with misanthropy.

This is said of your brothers and sisters in Christ who are being persecuted for their faith?

WOW.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.