If 'pagan' rites are part of Amazon synod, they're still 'worship of God': synod working doc writer

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

The key author of the Amazon Synod's working document, Fr. Paulo Suess, has just given an interview Indigenen-Experte: Hören statt vorverurteilen, was Synode will - Vatican News to Vatican News, in which he discussed the heavily criticized pagan ceremonies that have been taking place in the last two weeks in the Vatican, and conducted also in the presence of Pope Francis. With the regard to the claim that some of the ceremonies with the pope were pagan, Suess said "so what. Even if it would of been a pagan rite, then it is nevertheless a pagan worship of God."

Continued below.
If ‘pagan’ rites are part of Amazon synod, they’re still ‘worship of God’: synod working doc writer

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol, no. That's not how the Christian Faith works.

I really think this Synod will be a breaking point. Many of us feel that those idols being thrown in the Tiber was the first battle shot.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Lol, no. That's not how the Christian Faith works.

I really think this Synod will be a breaking point. Many of us feel that those idols being thrown in the Tiber was the first battle shot.

Well spoken, sister. Well spoken. There will be many battles before the wars over. Our lady of Fatima, through thine intercession - Save us!

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟287,814.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's one thing to argue that the pagan might be worshiping the true God in ignorance, it's quite another for the knowing Christian to worship in a pagan manner.

What exactly are they thinking?

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Perhaps they feel that it might be helpful to keep the Amazon natives Christians, if they allow them to retain some of their pagan practices? Perhaps they feel that God will excuse them for sticking to some of their pagan idols and/or practices, due to the doctrine of "invincible ignorance"? I really do not know the answer.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The answer is presenting and living the unvarnished faith without introducing pagan practices into it. That is their job as Catholic clergy. They dishonor every missionary that went before them and scandalize the faithful while diluting the truth to the Amazonian people. They are being nothing but shady in their dealings.
Perhaps they feel that it might be helpful to keep the Amazon natives Christians, if they allow them to retain some of their pagan practices? Perhaps they feel that God will excuse them for sticking to some of their pagan idols and/or practices, due to the doctrine of "invincible ignorance"? I really do not know the answer.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

May I help you? The answer is obvious. Either one serves Satan through paganism or one serve Christ our Lord. There is no other way.
God or nothing.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
May I help you? The answer is obvious. Either one serves Satan through paganism or one serve Christ our Lord. There is no other way.
God or nothing.
I am not defending the action. I was only trying to give a possible explanation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's one thing to argue that the pagan might be worshiping the true God in ignorance, it's quite another for the knowing Christian to worship in a pagan manner.

What exactly are they thinking?

They are not thinking. It is just liberalism and unorthodoxy unbridled

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Can't help but think about Matthew 24:24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Upvote 0