IF One is KJVO, which TR text and which Kjv is the correct One to use?

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe the KJV was based on the 1550 Stephanus text of the TR. If memory serves me correctly.

There is no single Greek text that you can point to as the sole basis for the KJV.

A few people have created eclectic mixtures of texts (plus some back-translation from the KJV's English) that correspond to what the KJV says.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The TR text is a Greek NT text. You've given dates for revisions to the English text of the KJV.

I believe the KJV was based on the 1550 Stephanus text of the TR. If memory serves me correctly.
They also at times brought over readings from Latin Vulgate and from unknown greek text sources!

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: fwGod
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This should answer your questions about the KJV, although I cannot speak for any preferences that individual Christians, particularly those identifying as KJVO, might have.

www.kjvtoday.com/home/editions
Thanks, so it would appear that for KJVO persons, the 1873 edition would be the real one to use?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, so it would appear that for KJVO persons, the 1873 edition would be the real one to use?
It depends. Some say the 1611 is the ONLY one that is truly inspired and trustworthy. I have even seen some churches with "1611 AV" on their signs out front to let people know that is the only version they use.

The reasons listed on the website to use the 1873 version are fair enough, but the reasons for using the KJV only are suspect, as most arguments to using only that version are.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There is no single Greek text that you can point to as the sole basis for the KJV.

A few people have created eclectic mixtures of texts (plus some back-translation from the KJV's English) that correspond to what the KJV says.
Those holding to KJVO are making claims for the 1611 team they never did, as they did not see themselves as inspired, nor that they had made a perfect translation!

• Useful
Reactions: fwGod
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It depends. Some say the 1611 is the ONLY one that is truly inspired and trustworthy. I have even seen some churches with "1611 AV" on their signs out front to let people know that is the only version they use.

The reasons listed on the website to use the 1873 version are fair enough, but the reasons for using the KJV only are suspect, as most arguments to using only that version are.
There are no legit textual reasons to hold to KJVO position, but can be preferred Kjv!

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are no legit textual reasons to hold to KJVO position, but can be preferred Kjv!
Absolutely, I love reading the KJV - it is one of my favorite versions. I just received a large KJV family Bible that I have been using daily, it is a pleasure to read.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely, I love reading the KJV - it is one of my favorite versions. I just received a large KJV family Bible that I have been using daily, it is a pleasure to read.
Those holding to KJVO make it out that those of us also allowing for modern versions somehow hate the Kjv!

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just out of interest was that the TBS Family Bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just out of interest was that the TBS Family Bible?
Actually, it was/is the Holman KJV Family Bible, White Imitation Leather. It costs $29 USD and is a great value for the quality, I would recommend it for a nice large table Bible.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those holding to KJVO make it out that those of us also allowing for modern versions somehow hate the Kjv!
Lots of people do hate the KJV in my experience. I am personally happy if people use the KJV. What I mean is so long as someone has a good level of respect for the KJV I usually leave it at that. Do I think they're wrong and should stick to the KJV in English? Yes. But, I'm not going to pointlessly argue in most cases.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, it was/is the Holman KJV Family Bible, White Imitation Leather. It costs $29 USD and is a great value for the quality, I would recommend it for a nice large table Bible.
Ah ok, thanks. It's just that I recently got the hardback Large Print KJV by Cambridge and the TBS Family Bible is basically a premium version of that Bible. I like the hardback so much I'm tempted to get the TBS one however it is near £100!

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Lots of people do hate the KJV in my experience. I am personally happy if people use the KJV. What I mean is so long as someone has a good level of respect for the KJV I usually leave it at that. Do I think they're wrong and should stick to the KJV in English? Yes. But, I'm not going to pointlessly argue in most cases.

I grew up with the KJV in the 60s but I have little patience for it anymore. When people quote KJV on here I usually don't read their post at all. I can tolerate 2 or 3 verses, but that's about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I grew up with the KJV in the 60s but I have little patience for it anymore. When people quote KJV on here I usually don't read their post at all. I can tolerate 2 or 3 verses, but that's about it.
Why don't you have patience for it and what do you mean you can only tolerate 2 or 3 verses?

Upvote 0