If nonbelievers heard some of the phrases Christians say....

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've had many Christians defend their position to me on this and it doesn't make sense

Do you think for one second nonbelievers would ever set foot church if they heard Christians say any of the following:

"The Bible says I have to forgive my neighbor, I don't have to be friends with them."

"All love means is to make sure they have their basic needs."

"You don't have to reconcile."

"Paul and Barnabas had a division, so it's ok to have divisions some times."

"Let it go" (without ever mentioning trying to resolve it before letting it go).

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've always had a bone to pick with things like that. We as human beings are prone to excusing so much in order to keep ourselves comfortable and make sure that we never have to stretch outside what makes us happy. Christians are no exceptions. I HATE the first one (forgive but don't be friends with your neighbor). No you don't have to be best buddies with your neighbor but the phrase implies that you forgive but don't forget. Forgive, forget, love, and move on.

It just makes me sad when I think about the way that non-believers see us, especially when we say things like this.

Upvote 0

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've always had a bone to pick with things like that. We as human beings are prone to excusing so much in order to keep ourselves comfortable and make sure that we never have to stretch outside what makes us happy. Christians are no exceptions. I HATE the first one (forgive but don't be friends with your neighbor). No you don't have to be best buddies with your neighbor but the phrase implies that you forgive but don't forget. Forgive, forget, love, and move on.

It just makes me sad when I think about the way that non-believers see us, especially when we say things like this.

This gives me hope...even among christian forums and chat rooms these phrases are so widespread I was beginning to give up...just the fact someone else shares my sentiment on this is reassuring.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

"Forgive, forget, love, and move on."

One can not just forget something that has happened to them. What the difference is ... is when one forgives then when the memory comes to mind one still has peace with the matter (without the pain) and does not carry any bitterness about the matter.

God Bless.

• Useful
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Forgive, forget, love, and move on."

One can not just forget something that has happened to them. What the difference is ... is when one forgives then when the memory comes to mind one still has peace with the matter (without the pain) and does not carry any bitterness about the matter.

God Bless.
Well this is true IF reconciliation has taken place...I'm more referring to those who say they forgive but are not willing to reconcile, because to me that doesnt make sense, since you would have to be harboring something if you wish no association with a person who wrong you or vice versa

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well this is true IF reconciliation has taken place...I'm more referring to those who say they forgive but are not willing to reconcile, because to me that doesnt make sense, since you would have to be harboring something if you wish no association with a person who wrong you or vice versa

It takes two to reconcile. If the person who committed the "offense" is not repentant, the other can still forgive them and move on without harboring ill feelings towards them.

Luke 17:3

Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him,

Matthew 6:14

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,

Romans 16:17

Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them.

2 Timothy 2:25

Correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,

Forgive them and pray for them.

Upvote 0