Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Chronicals 7:14 has been stuck in my mind, heart and spirit for a number of days now. NKJV says "if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land".

I cant shake the feeling that God is saying that the Church, His people, need to humble ourselves in this time of Coronavirus and specifically seek Him as it says in this verse.

There is a twofold part to this which the need for us as existing believers who are already saved to do this. It is not about evangelism and getting people saved, we should be doing that anyway, it is about the church seeking God.

The other side of this is that this is a promise of God. God is clearly saying that if His people humble ourselves, pray and seek His face He WILL hear from heaven and He WILL heal our land. It is His nature to do this and is his promised reaction to our humbling ourselves and seeking Him.

So come on church, time to get on our faces before God.

MyLifeForChrist

Mar 14, 2020
Midwest
✟20,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a twofold part to this which the need for us as existing believers who are already saved to do this. It is not about evangelism and getting people saved, we should be doing that anyway, it is about the church seeking God.

The other side of this is that this is a promise of God. God is clearly saying that if His people humble ourselves, pray and seek His face He WILL hear from heaven and He WILL heal our land. It is His nature to do this and is his promised reaction to our humbling ourselves and seeking Him.

So come on church, time to get on our faces before God.

Great verse worthy of reflection and your excellent interpretation yet I have a problem with the bolded above:
We 'should' be doing a lot of things right now (physically via our churches) yet we are not. Visible and quantifiable help for our fellow man through works/evangelism, especially during a worldwide crisis is the expectation. Simply staying home and being 'humble'/praying that somebody else does this all for us is not biblical and we all know this. Example:
Some legislators have recently pushed back on their (often less than biblical) liberal colleagues when they have tried to purposely cut off legal access to our local churches. Christian response: We can either 'humbly' trade singular isolated prayer indefinitely for my brother in need/souls saved 'or' I can make certain that a legislator never pulls this again (especially) in an election year or any other. This all isn't complicated. Now is our time to shine whether battling the devil is difficult or not. Our children are definitely watching yet we all seem to be believe that God is not. Which begs a larger question: When is the last time that the former ever witnessed anybody that they respect, much less a stranger, first hand/ hand to hand battling the devil in the name of the latter?

We are sitting on our hands and allowing the devil to collectively have his way with us plain and simple. To come back with some lame excuse at the Pearly Gates that we were all just being "humble as instructed" versus not delivering hope and deliverance especially in the worst of times?

Bring a better note from y(our) earthly home than that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great verse worthy of reflection and your excellent interpretation yet I have a problem with the bolded above:
We 'should' be doing a lot of things right now (physically via our churches) yet we are not. Visible and quantifiable help for our fellow man through works/evangelism, especially during a worldwide crisis is the expectation. Simply staying home and being 'humble'/praying that somebody else does this all for us is not biblical and we all know this. Example:
Some legislators have recently pushed back on their (often less than biblical) liberal colleagues when they have tried to purposely cut off legal access to our local churches. Christian response: We can either 'humbly' trade singular isolated prayer indefinitely for my brother in need/souls saved 'or' I can make certain that a legislator never pulls this again (especially) in an election year or any other. This all isn't complicated. Now is our time to shine whether battling the devil is difficult or not. Our children are definitely watching yet we all seem to be believe that God is not. Which begs a larger question: When is the last time that the former ever witnessed anybody that they respect, much less a stranger, first hand/ hand to hand battling the devil in the name of the latter?

We are sitting on our hands and allowing the devil to collectively have his way with us plain and simple. To come back with some lame excuse at the Pearly Gates that we were all just being "humble as instructed" versus not delivering hope and deliverance especially in the worst of times?

I only added that as I knew some people would criticise what I was saying and make it different to what I think God is saying. You are absolutely right in that we need to be doing things now, but here in the UK we are in lockdown and have to stay home. I am waiting to hear if I can do my normal feeding the homeless with the church tomorrow night, during which we always witness to them and offer fellowship and prayer. We might not even be able to go out for that.

My post is meant to be about the instruction for church needing to be humble before God in all that we do and to seek His face and that God's promise is that He will hear from heaven (this is not optional for Him but promised) and heal our land.

And dont forget Ephesians 6:12. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (KJV).

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you GYL and there is no problem with God's call because it doesn't involve sitting on our hands.

Why would God be calling except to address a triumphalism problem most congregations had which precisely WAS sitting on our hands.

Our Father and Glory Be said for revival within the Churches.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
... I can make certain that a legislator never pulls this again (especially) in an election year or any other. This all isn't complicated. ... lame excuse at the Pearly Gates that we were all just being "humble as instructed" versus not delivering hope and deliverance especially in the worst of times?

Humble ourselves vis a vis His wish that we strengthen the brothers, it doesn't say anything about secular governments as we understand them and as Jesus knew it.

Even politicians can't make sure of anything as Disraeli pointed out!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
that verse is stuck in my head too
I also think that because in the New Testament it shows that the church - properly understood - is a heavenly people with a pilgrim character, then the church looks up to the Lord's return for His church, while continuing to serve Him by God's grace in the Gospel, rather than concentrating on earthly events, which seems to have been what Israel did in the Old Testament, even though a faithful remnant were indeed justified.

Upvote 0