Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This question is not for me personally. But my girlfriend has asked me this question times in the past several month but I dont know how to fully answer this question. She asked me if Christ was still alive would there be churches around still? So obviously Christ is still alive because he rose again on the third day, she is just very young in her faith right now. The only answer I could come up with is he would be doing what he is gonna do when he comes back soon which is establishing his kingdom here, but I dont know if that would include having churches. But I think it possibly could because God wants the sabbath kept every Saturday. Now she got me thinking.

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This question is not for me personally. But my girlfriend has asked me this question times in the past several month but I dont know how to fully answer this question. She asked me if Christ was still alive would there be churches around still? So obviously Christ is still alive because he rose again on the third day, she is just very young in her faith right now. The only answer I could come up with is he would be doing what he is gonna do when he comes back soon which is establishing his kingdom here, but I dont know if that would include having churches. But I think it possibly could because God wants the sabbath kept every Saturday. Now she got me thinking.

That's really a difficult question. But I don't see why he wouldn't be still heading in the same direction he was while he was alive, had he not been crucified. Which is contained in the gospels in the new testament. Maybe that's correct with some advancement in his position on earth?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No more churches.

There's a chapter in Jeremiah written about the Laws "written in their hearts" and they would no longer need to preach to their neighbors.

There's also verses in New Testament saying, the Holy Spirit (Spirit of Truth) will be our only source of Truth / Guide and that we DON'T need anyone to teach us.

No more preaching, hence, no more churches.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,971.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If He was still here, no resurrection, no Kingdom.l If He came back, all of the self serving things man holds dear, from gain at the expense of others, governments, cable news pundits, health care for profit, religion, financial parasites, windows 10, institutions of man, politics, etc would all be gone. Jesus and His Kingdom represented a counter-culture to the world man has made in our own image.

None of what the world of man holds dear would be around so anyone who feels lost at the prospect had better question what their religion has been teaching them in preparation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This question is not for me personally. But my girlfriend has asked me this question times in the past several month but I dont know how to fully answer this question. She asked me if Christ was still alive would there be churches around still? So obviously Christ is still alive because he rose again on the third day, she is just very young in her faith right now. The only answer I could come up with is he would be doing what he is gonna do when he comes back soon which is establishing his kingdom here, but I don't know if that would include having churches. But I think it possibly could because God wants the sabbath kept every Saturday. Now she got me thinking.
If Jesus was still here in person, then no one would be filled with the Holy Spirit, and only the ones who were in the same place as He is would be able to hear or speak to Him. Jesus said that He had to go away so that He could send the Holy Spirit to not only be with us, but in us. The human Jesus is not omnipresent. He is in heaven at the right hand of the Father. It is the Holy Spirit who is omnipresent and in all of us at the same time.

Therefore, this is why we can not only do the works that Jesus did, but greater works, because the works that Jesus did were limited to His personal presence on earth, but because the Holy Spirit dwells in every believer, the works are greater, because they can happen anywhere in the world where there are believers, and not limited by geography.

Jesus came to the world with one purpose and one purpose only, to show the nature and character of God and to die on the cross, and then be raised from the dead to show that He has power over death and hell. He did not come to be personally involved in spreading the gospel around all the world. He sent the Holy Spirit to empower believers to do that.

The only recorded time that Jesus actually returned was to reveal Himself to Paul, and to give him the three years of personal training in the gospel that He gave to the other Apostles. Other have claimed to have had personal appearances of Jesus, but I have my doubts as to the veracity of them.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That's really a difficult question. But I don't see why he wouldn't be still heading in the same direction he was while he was alive, had he not been crucified. Which is contained in the gospels in the new testament. Maybe that's correct with some advancement in his position on earth?
If He had not have been crucified, no one would be saved, and we would all still be under the curse of God and condemned to an eternity in hell.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Of course, He is. Read the book "I Will Be With You Always."
True, but in the Person of the Holy Spirit who dwells in us. The Holy Spirit so represents Jesus, that it is functionally the same as having Jesus in us.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No more churches.

There's a chapter in Jeremiah written about the Laws "written in their hearts" and they would no longer need to preach to their neighbors.

There's also verses in New Testament saying, the Holy Spirit (Spirit of Truth) will be our only source of Truth / Guide and that we DON'T need anyone to teach us.

No more preaching, hence, no more churches.
And no salvation for anyone.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand". I heard someone say, "Repent (Change the way you think) because the Kingdom of Heaven is at arms reach".

Jesus is not far away, He is in us, we are just oblivious to what we already possess. God is waiting for people to wake up and realize it. We are the church. We are supposed to be like Jesus, not to build churches, but to build people. Not to teach them to do good, but to be good and do greater things than what Jesus did. There are not going to be churches because all of His people will be living with Him. In revelation it says we wont even need the sun because God will be our light.

Dan Mohler gives great teachings about being the church everywhere we go.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If Jesus was still here?

I assume "still here" to be "still on the Earth". That would mean he was pretty much immortal because he was "still here" thousands of years later. It also would mean he wasn't the Messiah because the Messiah was to die, resurrect, and then ascend into heaven and not be "still here" until his second coming/return :)

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She asked me if Christ was still alive would there be churches around still?
Jesus is still alive. He departed so that the Holy Spirit could be given. There would be no church if the Holy Spirit had not been poured out on the day of Pentacost when Peter was preaching in the Upper Room.

"I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment" (John16:7,8)

• Winner
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Lord Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. The sabbath was made for man, not the converse. The Lord Jesus had to leave the earth, otherwise we would not have been able to receive the Holy Spirit. Lord Jesus instituted the Church. He is the Head. The real Church is overlaid by religion (including the obsolete Sabbath observance), false conversions, disunity, doctrinal confusion and dead works. The risen Lord Jesus was only seen at one place at one time. In the Person of His Holy Spirit, He is everywhere all the time.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
if Christ was still alive would there be churches around

Jesus returned to heaven, as he said so he could send us the Holy Spirit.
If he hadn't then there would still be churches, but the worship etc would lack that spark that the spirit brings.

More interestingly how would athgeists react to the prescence of a 2k old man who confounds all there arguments and presents them with evidence they cannot refute that there is a God and that he Jesus is alive and walking or suddenly appearing in places around the world.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
More interestingly how would athgeists react to the prescence of a 2k old man who confounds all there arguments and presents them with evidence they cannot refute that there is a God and that he Jesus is alive and walking or suddenly appearing in places around the world.

Jesus would rebuke both Atheists and Christians. There's a suprisingly long list of teachings by Christ and the saints in the Bible that Christians ignore or unaware of.

They ignore these teachings very often due to their love of the things in the world and the love of money. Two things Jesus told us NOT to love.

It might even surprise many Christians that there are things Atheists debate against our religion that is actually Biblical and based on facts....

The irony.... Jesus might even be more friendly with the Atheists.... They didn't have the Bible but they tried to seek the Truth.

We have the Bible, the Truth is in there but deliberately ignored them out of senseless fear of suffering, inconveniences. "Seek to preserve your life and you will lose it..."

Many will instead accuse Jesus of Heresy. Many will repeat the same mistakes of the Pharisees.

Only FEW will find the way which leads to life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I meant churches in the traditional arrangement.

There's another "spiritual church" not defined by gatherings, nor buildings.
I understand your point. But the crucifixion, death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ are indispensable to salvation and therefore the existence of the Christian church, visible and invisible.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I understand your point. But the crucifixion, death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ are indispensable to salvation and therefore the existence of the Christian church, visible and invisible.

Probably the first big miracle I experienced is the Holy Spirit teaching me these things directly.

That's how I became a Christian! No man taught me these things, I haven't even read the Bible at the time yet.

Upvote 0