If Jeff Sessions, Romney and McCain are Globalist RINOs then why wasn't Dwight Eisenhower one

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many progressives and liberals, and other people who have voted mainly Democratic over the years and voted for some pretty far-out candidates, make a point of saying to me that they actually are supporters of _________ (pick a few liberal Republicans to name) so that this confession makes them seem moderate or thoughtful or something like that.

On the other hand, it is rare to find a conservative or committed Republican who will insist upon being known as a person who could possibly go either way when entering the voting booth and who really, really admires some Democratic officeholder who, however, is not typical of that party.

I have wondered why this is the case.
Obviously anti-Democratic conservatives and committed Republicans are more committed to partisan, party, than actual issues or the character of the actual candidates.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟100,430.00
Faith
Seeker
The point is that Ike, although a Republican, was unlike McCain and Romney who posed as conservatives until they obtained the party's nomination for President. And after they both lost their races for the Presidency, they further threw off their identification with the Party--except in name, of course.

??? How do you know they were pretending to be conservative

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Many progressives and liberals, and other people who have voted mainly Democratic over the years and voted for some pretty far-out candidates, make a point of saying to me that they actually are supporters of _________ (pick a few liberal Republicans to name) so that this confession makes them seem moderate or thoughtful or something like that.

On the other hand, it is rare to find a conservative or committed Republican who will insist upon being known as a person who could possibly go either way when entering the voting booth and who really, really admires some Democratic officeholder who, however, is not typical of that party.

I have wondered why this is the case.

Because the polarization and partisan loyalty/animosity are not symmetrical across the two groups of voters. On average, Republican voters are way more partisan and vitriolic than Democratic voters.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you are looking for someone who uses the actual acronym specifically, it might be hard to find. Goldwater was too long ago, and RINO is a relatively recent coinage. I suggest looking up Barry Goldwater in Conservapedia for a neo-right-wing dismissal of Goldwater as not a "real" Republican. Goldwater's quoted opinion of Jerry Falwell can't be repeated here, and for that reason I will not post the link myself, either.

I remember Barry had a good line on the issue of allowing gay people to serve in the military. Which he supported back when it was a pretty radical idea. He said to be a good soldier you don’t have to be straight. You just have to shoot straight. ^_^ Still a great line.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The point is that Ike, although a Republican, was unlike McCain and Romney who posed as conservatives until they obtained the party's nomination for President. And after they both lost their races for the Presidency, they further threw off their identification with the Party--except in name, of course.

This is why it’s difficult to take Trump era Republicans seriously. Mitt Romney could not be more conservative if he tried, he’s literally a walking, talking advertisement for conservative values. Yet apparently he’s ‘pretending’ to be a conservative, while a former Democratic supporting reality TV star and well known dishonest philanderer, bankrupt and all around vile person is now treated like the model conservative. It’s insane quite frankly.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is why it’s difficult to take Trump era Republicans seriously. Mitt Romney could not be more conservative if he tried, he’s literally a walking, talking advertisement for conservative values. Yet apparently he’s ‘pretending’ to be a conservative, while a former Democratic supporting reality TV star and well known dishonest philanderer, bankrupt and all around vile person is now treated like the model conservative. It’s insane quite frankly.

Romney is a conservative who hasn't checked his morality at the door.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because the polarization and partisan loyalty/animosity are not symmetrical across the two groups of voters. On average, Republican voters are way more partisan and vitriolic than Democratic voters.

Ditties to that. Republicans are vicious towards their fellows who don’t toe the party line. Their authoritarianism and intolerance of dissent is intense. And extremely ugly. I don’t see anything close to this among Democrats. Sen. Joe Manchin of WV bucked his party and voted to confirm Brett Kavanaugh to SCOTUS. He got some grief from Democratic observers after the vote. But the party still supported him in the 2018 election. And he was re-elected in a very conservative, pro-Trump state. That’s how it should be. Open disagreement with your party should not be a capital offense.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ditties to that. Republicans are vicious towards their fellows who don’t toe the party line.
On the other hand, they usually aren't squelched by their own party as happens elsewhere. And the examples you gave (McCain and Romney) show it to be so.

See any "Blue Dog Democrats" voting their consciences in Congress anymore??

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
On the other hand, they usually aren't squelched by their own party as happens elsewhere. And the examples you gave (McCain and Romney) show it to be so.

See any "Blue Dog Democrats" voting their consciences in Congress anymore??

An example was literally in the post you quoted but cut out. And showed the Democratic Party continuing to support the person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
An example was literally in the post you quoted but cut out. And showed the Democratic Party continuing to support the person.
The Democrats in Congress these days normally vote in near-complete unity, regardless of the issue. That does not square with what had been the case a generation ago when people eagerly pointed to the Blue Dogs as demonstrating an independent and moderate streak within the Democratic Party.

You are referring to the one Democrat who bucked the trend in the Kavanaugh case and he was allowed to do that because of the facts you just referred to--he was facing, in that same year, a tough re-election campaign. What's more, Manchin made his move at the last minute, AFTER it became apparent that there were already enough votes to confirm Kavanaugh.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry I am Australian and do not understand the term Globalist RINO can someone give me some background
You are wasting your valuable time on trying to understand absolute drivel.

Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0