• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

If Jeff Sessions, Romney and McCain are Globalist RINOs then why wasn't Dwight Eisenhower one

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by perplexed, May 29, 2020.

1. perplexed

perplexed Senior Member

+34
    Seeker
    Sorry I am Australian and do not understand the term Globalist RINO can someone give me some background

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+1,048
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    If Eisenhower were alive and still a Republican, he'd have been tossed out of the party long ago. RINO only came about in the 1990s. Up until then there were always party members from both parties that were far more centrist that what we see today. Blue Dog Democrats were socially liberal and fiscally conservative. On the other side, Rockefeller Republicans were also socially liberal. It is during the Reagan era, the parties lose these centrists from both sides and move collectively away from each other on the social issues.

3. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,197
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    The term would apply to him except the termlords have not gone back that far yet to apply it to him. They might some day. They might also apply it to his vice-president, Richard Nixon.

4. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+13,526
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    They might--he more or less fits the profile. On the other hand, Nixon was the originator of the Southern Strategy, which resulted in a hard-core social conservatism becoming central to party orthodoxy.

5. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,197
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    He also opened the door for China.

6. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+10,111
    United States
    Married
    Blue Dog Democrats were also pro-Military.

7. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+25,179
    Anglican
    Married
    Eisenhower came onto national politics as an Independent who was courted by both parties. Although he ultimately chose to run for President, having no record as a member of Congress or Governor of any state, he chose the Republicans. His main appeal to the voters, however, was as a war hero.

The point is that Ike, although a Republican, was unlike McCain and Romney who posed as conservatives until they obtained the party's nomination for President. And after they both lost their races for the Presidency, they further threw off their identification with the Party--except in name, of course.

I don't think Sessions fits the description, by the way, although he was included in the question.

8. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+8,607
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    RINO was a term created by those who incapable of expressing their political principals.

9. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+3,410
    Christian
    Married
    The current Republican Party would claim Reagan was a RINO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+13,494
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    1956 Republican Platform

The Republican Party supports an immigration policy which is in keeping with the traditions of America in providing a haven for oppressed peoples, and which is based on equality of treatment, freedom from implications of discrimination between racial, nationality and religious groups, and flexible enough to conform to changing needs and conditions. ... this Republican Administration sponsored the Refugee Relief Act to provide asylum for thousands of refugees, expellees and displaced persons,

We shall continue vigorously to support the United Nations.

Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex;

We recommend to Congress the submission of a constitutional amendment providing equal rights for men and women.

The Republican Party accepts the decision of the U.S.. Supreme Court that racial discrimination in publicly supported schools must be progressively eliminated. We concur in the conclusion of the Supreme Court that its decision directing school desegregation should be accomplished with "all deliberate speed"

We favor self-government, national suffrage and representation in the Congress of the United States for residents of the District of Columbia.

We have supported the distribution of free vaccine to protect millions of children against dreaded polio.

The Republican Party will renew its efforts to enact a program based on sound principles of need and designed to encourage increased state and local efforts to build more classrooms.

We fully appreciate the importance of scientific knowledge and its application particularly in the military field.

ACHIEVEMENTS: Reversed the 15-year trend of neglect of our National Parks by launching the 10-year, $785 million Mission 66 parks improvement program. Has nearly completed field surveys for a comparable forest improvement program. ... Added more than 400,000 acres to our National Park system, and 90,000 acres to wildlife refuges.

We subscribe to the general objectives of groups seeking to guard the beauty of our land and to promote clean, attractive surroundings throughout America.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+4,543
    Atheist
    Married
    There was a time when Republicans were the progressives. They were the abolitionists. The party of Lincoln. And later, the party of Teddy Roosevelt. My own politics are liberal socially and moderate/conservative economically. Which put me closest to the old northeastern Republicans. People like Nelson Rockefeller, John Lindsay, Jacob Javitz, Jim Jeffords, Bill Weld, and Olympia Snowe. They’re a critically endangered species now. Susan Collins is the only New England Republican in the Senate. But people like these are the genuine Republicans. Who passed the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts. And Title X, and the Clean Air and Clean Water acts. When it really was the Grand Old Party. They’re called RINOs today. But to me they’re STARs. Sensible, Thoughtful, Authentic Republicans. :oldthumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+25,179
    Anglican
    Married
    Many progressives and liberals, and other people who have voted mainly Democratic over the years and voted for some pretty far-out candidates, make a point of saying to me that they actually are supporters of _________ (pick a few liberal Republicans to name) so that this confession makes them seem moderate or thoughtful or something like that.

On the other hand, it is rare to find a conservative or committed Republican who will insist upon being known as a person who could possibly go either way when entering the voting booth and who really, really admires some Democratic officeholder who, however, is not typical of that party.

I have wondered why this is the case.

13. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+4,543
    Atheist
    Married
    I live in Missouri. Show me a sensible Republican, who isn’t a Trump lackey (which should be anyone with common sense,) and she/he has my vote. If Mitt Romney, or Lisa Murkowski moved down here, I’d happily vote for either one over a Democrat.

14. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,763
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I've also heard people refer to Barry Goldwater, Mr. Conservative himself, as a RINO.

15. Speedwell

+13,526
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    He was too much of a social libertarian for today's Republicans.

16. Yttrium

Yttrium Well-Known Member

+768
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Under the current administration, any Republican who criticizes or fails Trump is a RINO. Eisenhower didn't get a chance to do that.

17. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+25,179
    Anglican
    Married
    Anyone we've ever heard of?

18. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,763
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    It was actually somewhere on this forum, but I don't remember enough about the context of the thread to be able to hunt it down.

19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+25,179
    Anglican
    Married
    OK. My view is that what you described is rare, and we know that in religion and politics, there's always an exception to every rule...somewhere. All we can do is stay focused on whatever is significant.

20. Speedwell

+13,526
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    If you are looking for someone who uses the actual acronym specifically, it might be hard to find. Goldwater was too long ago, and RINO is a relatively recent coinage. I suggest looking up Barry Goldwater in Conservapedia for a neo-right-wing dismissal of Goldwater as not a "real" Republican. Goldwater's quoted opinion of Jerry Falwell can't be repeated here, and for that reason I will not post the link myself, either.

Last edited: May 29, 2020