If Jeff Sessions, Romney and McCain are Globalist RINOs then why wasn't Dwight Eisenhower one

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If Eisenhower were alive and still a Republican, he'd have been tossed out of the party long ago. RINO only came about in the 1990s. Up until then there were always party members from both parties that were far more centrist that what we see today. Blue Dog Democrats were socially liberal and fiscally conservative. On the other side, Rockefeller Republicans were also socially liberal. It is during the Reagan era, the parties lose these centrists from both sides and move collectively away from each other on the social issues.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sorry I am Australian and do not understand the term Globalist RINO can someone give me some background
The term would apply to him except the termlords have not gone back that far yet to apply it to him. They might some day. They might also apply it to his vice-president, Richard Nixon.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The term would apply to him except the termlords have not gone back that far yet to apply it to him. They might some day. They might also apply it to his vice-president, Richard Nixon.
They might--he more or less fits the profile. On the other hand, Nixon was the originator of the Southern Strategy, which resulted in a hard-core social conservatism becoming central to party orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
They might--he more or less fits the profile. On the other hand, Nixon was the originator of the Southern Strategy, which resulted in a hard-core social conservatism becoming central to party orthodoxy.
He also opened the door for China.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If Eisenhower were alive and still a Republican, he'd have been tossed out of the party long ago. RINO only came about in the 1990s. Up until then there were always party members from both parties that were far more centrist that what we see today. Blue Dog Democrats were socially liberal and fiscally conservative. On the other side, Rockefeller Republicans were also socially liberal. It is during the Reagan era, the parties lose these centrists from both sides and move collectively away from each other on the social issues.

Blue Dog Democrats were also pro-Military.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Eisenhower came onto national politics as an Independent who was courted by both parties. Although he ultimately chose to run for President, having no record as a member of Congress or Governor of any state, he chose the Republicans. His main appeal to the voters, however, was as a war hero.

The point is that Ike, although a Republican, was unlike McCain and Romney who posed as conservatives until they obtained the party's nomination for President. And after they both lost their races for the Presidency, they further threw off their identification with the Party--except in name, of course.

I don't think Sessions fits the description, by the way, although he was included in the question.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I am Australian and do not understand the term Globalist RINO can someone give me some background

RINO was a term created by those who incapable of expressing their political principals.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
1956 Republican Platform

The Republican Party supports an immigration policy which is in keeping with the traditions of America in providing a haven for oppressed peoples, and which is based on equality of treatment, freedom from implications of discrimination between racial, nationality and religious groups, and flexible enough to conform to changing needs and conditions. ... this Republican Administration sponsored the Refugee Relief Act to provide asylum for thousands of refugees, expellees and displaced persons,

We shall continue vigorously to support the United Nations.

Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex;

We recommend to Congress the submission of a constitutional amendment providing equal rights for men and women.

The Republican Party accepts the decision of the U.S.. Supreme Court that racial discrimination in publicly supported schools must be progressively eliminated. We concur in the conclusion of the Supreme Court that its decision directing school desegregation should be accomplished with "all deliberate speed"

We favor self-government, national suffrage and representation in the Congress of the United States for residents of the District of Columbia.

We have supported the distribution of free vaccine to protect millions of children against dreaded polio.

The Republican Party will renew its efforts to enact a program based on sound principles of need and designed to encourage increased state and local efforts to build more classrooms.

We fully appreciate the importance of scientific knowledge and its application particularly in the military field.

ACHIEVEMENTS: Reversed the 15-year trend of neglect of our National Parks by launching the 10-year, $785 million Mission 66 parks improvement program. Has nearly completed field surveys for a comparable forest improvement program. ... Added more than 400,000 acres to our National Park system, and 90,000 acres to wildlife refuges.

We subscribe to the general objectives of groups seeking to guard the beauty of our land and to promote clean, attractive surroundings throughout America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There was a time when Republicans were the progressives. They were the abolitionists. The party of Lincoln. And later, the party of Teddy Roosevelt. My own politics are liberal socially and moderate/conservative economically. Which put me closest to the old northeastern Republicans. People like Nelson Rockefeller, John Lindsay, Jacob Javitz, Jim Jeffords, Bill Weld, and Olympia Snowe. They’re a critically endangered species now. Susan Collins is the only New England Republican in the Senate. But people like these are the genuine Republicans. Who passed the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts. And Title X, and the Clean Air and Clean Water acts. When it really was the Grand Old Party. They’re called RINOs today. But to me they’re STARs. Sensible, Thoughtful, Authentic Republicans. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many progressives and liberals, and other people who have voted mainly Democratic over the years and voted for some pretty far-out candidates, make a point of saying to me that they actually are supporters of _________ (pick a few liberal Republicans to name) so that this confession makes them seem moderate or thoughtful or something like that.

On the other hand, it is rare to find a conservative or committed Republican who will insist upon being known as a person who could possibly go either way when entering the voting booth and who really, really admires some Democratic officeholder who, however, is not typical of that party.

I have wondered why this is the case.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Many progressives and liberals, and other people who have voted mainly Democratic over the years and voted for some pretty far-out candidates, make a point of saying to me that they actually are supporters of _________ (pick a few liberal Republicans to name) so that this confession makes them seem moderate or thoughtful or something like that.

On the other hand, it is rare to find a conservative or committed Republican who will insist upon being known as a person who could possibly go either way when entering the voting booth and who really, really admires some Democratic officeholder who, however, is not typical of that party.

I have wondered why this is the case.

I live in Missouri. Show me a sensible Republican, who isn’t a Trump lackey (which should be anyone with common sense,) and she/he has my vote. If Mitt Romney, or Lisa Murkowski moved down here, I’d happily vote for either one over a Democrat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It was actually somewhere on this forum, but I don't remember enough about the context of the thread to be able to hunt it down.
OK. My view is that what you described is rare, and we know that in religion and politics, there's always an exception to every rule...somewhere. All we can do is stay focused on whatever is significant.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
OK. My view is that what you described is rare, and we know that in religion and politics, there's always an exception to every rule...somewhere. All we can do is stay focused on whatever is significant.
If you are looking for someone who uses the actual acronym specifically, it might be hard to find. Goldwater was too long ago, and RINO is a relatively recent coinage. I suggest looking up Barry Goldwater in Conservapedia for a neo-right-wing dismissal of Goldwater as not a "real" Republican. Goldwater's quoted opinion of Jerry Falwell can't be repeated here, and for that reason I will not post the link myself, either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0