If it's racist, call it racist: Associated Press Stylebook changes guidelines for journalists

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
If it's racist, call it racist: Associated Press Stylebook changes guidelines for journalists
If it is racist, call it racist, says the Associated Press Stylebook in a change to guidelines announced Friday.

The AP Stylebook, a manual widely used by journalists at many news outlets, including NBC News Digital, has changed its entry on race, advising reporters and editors against the use of ambiguous terms such as "racially charged" and "racially motivated" to describe incidents that display racial bias, the Poynter Institute reported.

"The terms racism and racist can be used in broad references or in quotations to describe the hatred of a race, or assertion of the superiority of one race over others," the AP states in the new guideline announced at a national conference of the American Copy Editors Society in Providence, Rhode Island, on Friday.

"Racially charged" and other euphemisms for racism is political correctness run amok.

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
That's not only an interesting article, but a useful one and good to know about. Thanks for posting it! :cool:
I think it’s an interesting topic that arises from the idea of “balance” and “neutrality” on different topics. There is this idea that all ideas are equal, at least that how journalism treats some bigoted attitudes and ideas. I believe they fear having bias by questioning racism, but I think if you asked the same “biased” questions of someone that was not racist, it would be fine as you would see they’re not ridiculous.

But I guess that’s the crux of the issue, when something is racist, call it racism. Considering that white supremacists have been trying to blend in and alter their language so that ther racism can hide in plain sight, it is important to simply point out this racism.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it’s an interesting topic that arises from the idea of “balance” and “neutrality” on different topics. There is this idea that all ideas are equal, at least that how journalism treats some bigoted attitudes and ideas. I believe they fear having bias by questioning racism, but I think if you asked the same “biased” questions of someone that was not racist, it would be fine as you would see they’re not ridiculous.
That's a very good point! All ideas aren't equal, and I'd even go for saying that some ideas, from a Christian perspective, aren't really ideas at all but rather deceptions. One of those faux-ideas being something along the line that it's somehow better to be 'white' than to be some other possible skin hue.

But I guess that’s the crux of the issue, when something is racist, call it racism. Considering that white supremacists have been trying to blend in and alter their language so that ther racism can hide in plain sight, it is important to simply point out this racism.
I have nothing really to add to that point since it just about says it all ... racism is racism! :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Like saying "diversity" when they mean "less white people" or "inclusive" when they mean "everyone but white people"....

Oh wait, that's a different group.

Upvote 0