If I Truly Believe

new_wine

Citizen
Dec 30, 2010
✟16,339.00
Faith
Christian
If you feel these "items" are a burden on you or keep you from loving God and your neighbor, then you should do away with them.

It seems to me that you have all these things and still are moved by God. So they don't seem onerous. Instead you should stay focused on what you are doing. Who knows you may have to become a lawyer to represent followers in a crisis.

God will assist you in your journey and let you know if you should switch to something else.

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, it is quite amazing being filled with a joy that makes your heart fill like it will burst.

Not liking what I am doing is not the problem. I love my major, and I am looking to go to law school in the fall. I guess some concern would be that I fill like I could do so much more just dropping everything worldly. I am afraid that studying law 24/7 could be a hindrance to my relationship with God.

My problem goes beyond schooling though. The shirt I'm wearing is a nice polo. I could easily have just never bought that shirt, and instead, use the money to give to the cause of Christ.

It's the little things like watching television, surfing the Internet, listening to music, reading fiction, texting on my expensive phone, etc. I am not "addicted" to these things, but I do partake in them.

I feel like these things are of the world. I feel like anything that isn't promoting our God is of the world. I just question whether it would be best to purge all things associated with the world, whether it be studying at a university to spending money, so that I may come closer to the Lord.

However, I realize that becoming completely devoted to Christ while completely dropping any connection to worldly thoughts and possessions is not easy to do. Yet, if God calls me to do it, then I will gladly and willingly oblige. I just need to know for certain first, before I do it.

Sorry for such a long post, but this has been eating away at me. Again, I appreciate all of the replies, and I am seriously taking everything posted into consideration.

Upvote 0

love_123

Jesus is Lord
May 18, 2010
✟15,267.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Peace and grace to you from our Lord Jesus Christ, little brother. So glad to see your love and commitment to God. He shall never fail you. He has already planned your life, which is the best for you.
(Jeremiah 29:11 ) For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

You don't need to work hard to fulfill your needs. You don't need to worry not being equiped with enough to draw people to the Lord.
(Matthew 6:32-33) For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
(Philippians 4:13) I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me.

It is really great that you are willing to drop all those worldly 'fashions'. But if you believe you can, then it is wrong-- only Jesus Christ is who we boast of. Only He Himself has won the victory. Satan and the rest of the fallen angels are spirits. If we live in the flesh, we can't win him. Sin is like a law, just like the law of universal gravitation, which we cannot reverse by ourselves. Before we believe on Christ Jesus, we used to be under Satan's authority and his powers.
(Genesis 2:17) but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.

But we were still living, right? Yet, just in the flesh. Human being's spirits are dead. We were totally seperated from God because of sin.
Ephesians 2:13-22
13But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby

ROM 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

ROM 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

ROM 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin

ROM 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Roman 7:19-24 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

GAL 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

GAL 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

ROM 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

JN 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you.

PHIL 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

PHIL 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

1COR 1:30 But of him are yein Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.

There are many commandments in the New Covenant, which are often worked on as principles. Yet they are truly the image of Christ.

(James 1:23-24) Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.

So believe in Him, and heed to His Word, because you already have the Holy Spirit in you. Our Lord and Savior does it. He does all the good works God has prepared for us in advance.

As long as you are seeking God's kingdom and His righteousness, you are in the right way of living in the world as well.

2 Cor 5:7 We live by faith, not by sight.
Don't waver by sight that you are in short, but believe God's word. You have Christ, the very complete life of Him, fulfilling all your needs.

Isaiah 30:18 So the LORD must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the LORD is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for his help.

As Christ's disciples,we are not necessarily all ministers.
Matthew 5:14 You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.

Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

I believe the Holy Spirit is leading you, as always. Hold on to our Lord.

Upvote 0