Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So basically im at a loss right now ive heard that if i keep sinning im not saved even if its not willful sinning. And ive heard that it doesn't matter if i willfully sin or not your still saved. Ive also heard that if its my own will to stop sinning, that means its not the holy spirit helping me which makes me someone who is basing Salvation on just my works not Jesus death and resurrection on the cross. Can anyone help explain because in the bible some verses make it seem like without works we aren't saved but that you dont need to have any works and your saved. Im just confused and need some guidance with this. Thank you all God bless.

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So basically im at a loss right now ive heard that if i keep sinning im not saved even if its not willful sinning. And ive heard that it doesn't matter if i willfully sin or not your still saved. Ive also heard that if its my own will to stop sinning, that means its not the holy spirit helping me which makes me someone who is basing Salvation on just my works not Jesus death and resurrection on the cross. Can anyone help explain because in the bible some verses make it seem like without works we aren't saved but that you dont need to have any works and your saved. Im just confused and need some guidance with this. Thank you all God bless.
I think a person can be saved without being completely transformed. Transformation can take a process of pruning and surrendering.

If you keep sinning, take a look at the sin's root cause as it hold clues to help you stop.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think a person can be saved without being completely transformed. Transformation can take a process of pruning and surrendering.

If you keep sinning, take a look at the sin's root cause as it hold clues to help you stop.

Yup! I agree. Our weaknesses become hidden in His Glory when we come to The Lord.

Reactions: Job3315
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Perhaps this will help .... the salvation process

Salvation is: Justification + Sanctification = Glorification

God’s plan for our salvation has three parts in this order: Justification, Sanctification, and Glorification.

Justification:

Each one of us have broken God’s Law. This is sin. The wages of sin is (eternal) death (cease to exist forever). This price is more than we can ever repay–it is impossible. Because of God the father’s unconditional love for the us, he gave his only begotten Son Jesus to pay for our debt of eternal death on the cross. This one time event was done by Jesus. Only Jesus is worthy to pay the price for each one of us because he never sinned. He has not broken God’s Law. Jesus (in the form of a man) died a physical death, giving His life willingly and was raised back to life; thus conquering eternal death.

sanctification.

It’s the reciprocation of our love toward God. We are sanctified with the help of the Holy Spirit (Comforter) that Jesus gives us. Sanctification means to set a part or to make holy. His Holy Spirit helps us in this process to become more like Christ. This is not a one time event; it’s a life long process (we will stumble here and there). The process of sanctifying and purifying us (the works that Jesus does in the believer, and is not of ourselves) ... it is HIM working in us and through us. We are separated from the world. We are in the physical world but not of the world spiritually. Our mind (thinking) changes over time and therefore our actions also change. Our faith increases more and more as He faithfully works in us. Hebrews 12:2

The third stage in the plan of salvation is our glorification.

We won’t be glorified until after Jesus returns. John writes of this in his first letter when he states that “when he shall appear we shall be like him (1 John 3:2). Paul refers to this stage frequently. For example: “For this corruptible must put on incorruption and this mortal must put on immortality (1 Corinthians 15:53). He also refers to a time when “we shall all be changed in a moment in in a twinkling of an eye at the last trump” (1 Corinthians 15:51-52). Paul speaks further of the doctrine of glorification when he says in Romans 8:18, “For the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” We receive glorified spiritual bodies. Receiving eternal life and being with Him forevermore. Those saved (justification + sanctification) will be glorified when Christ returns at the first resurrection.

And because of His grace (favor) if we faithfully remain in Him He will accomplish His work in us (over our lifetime).

He helps us overcome our sin ... we will never be totally sinless while in this world. But our lives should be trending down the narrow road.

Matthew 7:13-14 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Are you being changed? Slowly but surely? Is your life trending towards not sinning?

If so ... then you are on the narrow road to heaven and can be confident in your salvation ;o)

Philippians 1:6
New Living Translation
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing you can do to make God love you more and there is nothing you can do to make Him love you less.
No matter how many times you have sinned, if you repent and ask for forgiveness, you can be assured of mercy.
Whenever you stumble or fall, do not be discouraged and do not give up hope. Return to the Lord who is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. Draw near to Him and He will draw near to you.

Upvote 0

TexFire316

Come as a child, with no agenda
Jan 31, 2017
Conroe, Texas
Visit site
✟29,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are saved by God's grace. But the Father's plan of salvation will not be complete until the day we stand before Him.
And like Paul said, the things that I want to do, I don't do. And the sin that I hate, is the thing that I do. Usually, its the day that starts with us soaring as we leave home, is the day that we return home in shame and tears to cry out to God.
It is our sinful nature combined with a sinful world. But the Father is STILL a covenant keeping God, not because of us, but because of Him. :clap:

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
ive heard that if i keep sinning im not saved even if its not willful sinning.

And ive heard that it doesn't matter if i willfully sin or not your still saved.

Ive also heard that if its my own will to stop sinning, that means its not the holy spirit helping me which makes me someone who is basing Salvation on just my works not Jesus death and resurrection on the cross.
Good that you ask. These statements certainly contradict each other. Here is how I understand the Biblical teaching:

1) When you are saved and baptized with the Holy Spirit, He makes you want to stop sinning. But this can take time. You can resist the Holy Spirit. And because He is gentle, he allows you to.

2) You're not a robot. The Holy Spirit works through your will. Nothing can be accomplished unless it's your own will to stop sinning. Then you depend on the power of the Holy Spirit and His guidance. So, He gives you the will, and then He gives you the power.

Upvote 0

Romansthruphilemon

Feb 6, 2017
Concord, NH
✟59,907.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul says to renew your mind. That wouldn’t be necessary if it was automatic after being saved. He also says that we will have this vile flesh until we are glorified, and the flesh wars against the spirit. None of that would be true if we automatically stopped sinning once we are saved. Lordship salvation teaches the doctrine that has you worried and it’s a false gospel. It comes from not rightly dividing the word of truth. Not paying attention to who the audience is in different parts of the Bible and just taking everything as if it’s directly to us. This video is long but it will definitely help you learn to rightly divide. You should watch it a few times and notice that Jesus in his earthly ministry (Matthew - John) is dealing With Israel and they are still under law. So in effect, the preachers that have you worried about wether you’re saved or not are putting you under law by giving you Israel’s doctrine. Old Testament performance based system. We are not under law.

Upvote 0

God is good777

Mar 26, 2020
Panhandle of idaho
✟29,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank
Paul says to renew your mind. That wouldn’t be necessary if it was automatic after being saved. He also says that we will have this vile flesh until we are glorified, and the flesh wars against the spirit. None of that would be true if we automatically stopped sinning once we are saved. Lordship salvation teaches the doctrine that has you worried and it’s a false gospel. It comes from not rightly dividing the word of truth. Not paying attention to who the audience is in different parts of the Bible and just taking everything as if it’s directly to us. This video is long but it will definitely help you learn to rightly divide. You should watch it a few times and notice that Jesus in his earthly ministry (Matthew - John) is dealing With Israel and they are still under law. So in effect, the preachers that have you worried about wether you’re saved or not are putting you under law by giving you Israel’s doctrine. Old Testament performance based system. We are not under law.

you I will whatch this im a new believer and when i watch alot of YouTube videos of different pastors and such and d when it a

Thank you im a fairly new Christian and on YouTube I see so many different opinions and such and alot of them look biblical but are different so it confuses me and then when I heard about Lordship salvation it made think I wasn't even saved and I panicked. The found a video that said if I dont stop sinning completely I'm not saved and I just felt hopeless honestly. Thank you for clearing it up tho I had a feeling those where false teachings and I will watch that video thank you again and God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

The Early Church was very big on Christians not sinning after their conversions and Baptism. However, this quickly seemed to become a problem, as Christians kept sinning, even after their conversions. There was a time when a rule said that a Christian could only commit one grave/mortal sin after Baptism, receive forgiveness and be restored to fellowship. However, even this rule had to change, as Christians were apparently unable to abide by the limitation. Eventually no limit was placed on the number of times that a Christian could commit a grave sin and confess said sin(s) and be restored to the good graces of God and the Church.

There was a time when many Protestants were big on the need for holiness and the necessity to limit the number and frequency of sins, etc. It seems that these folks did effectively tie salvation to the importance of living holy lives. However..... this tradition pretty much disappeared form the scene 100+ years ago and very few Protestants appear concerned these days with a necessity to end habitual sins. Catholics and Orthodox are big on the need to go to Confession to have grave/mortal sins forgiven, so in a sense they are somewhat like some of the Protestants from the 1700's and 1800's who were big on holiness, but are still probably somewhat different I would guess.

That is about all I will say on the subject. One can seem to make a case both ways by quoting Scripture as to the importance of ending habitual sins or the need for living holy lives. God bless.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you feel when you sin?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @God is good777, here's a passage to consider. Please take note of who this passage is written to (the saints, at all levels of maturity in the faith), as well that the elder Apostle John includes himself in the mix with the rest of us (see the words in bold).

1 John 1
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

1 John 2
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.
4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:
6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.
7 Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard.
8 On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining.
9 The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now.
10 The one who loves his brother abides in the Light and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
11 But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

12 I am writing to you, little children, because your sins have been forgiven you for His name’s sake.
13 I am writing to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I have written to you, children, because you know the Father.
14 I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.

God bless you!

--David
p.s. - the verb tense in 1 John 3:9 tells us that a true Christian will not continue living in a sinful ~lifestyle~, like we all lived in prior to becoming a Christian, NOT that a true Christian will never sin again on this side of the grave.

quote-it-is-not-the-absence-of-sin-but-the-grieving-over-it-which-distinguishes-the-child-arthur-w-pink-70-74-09.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Just the fact that your writing here I believe you already know the answer to your question dear frend. Please follow the scriptures with me. Those who continue in known unrepentant sin will not enter into God's kingdom according to the scriptures *Hebrews 10:26-27; Revelation 21:7-8; Revelation 14:12; Revelation 22:14 (need more scripture here linked) . This is why we need to be born again *Romans 3:3-7 for whatsoever is born of God does not practice sin *1 John 3:3-9.

Fear not dear friend for this is the good news of the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus did not come to save the righteous but sinners but many do not know what this means *Matthew 9:12-13. What gives us victory over our sins is faith in God's Word and promises *1 John 5:4; 2 Peter 1:3-4. God's Word is the power of creation (see Genesis 1 to Genesis 2:1-3).

God's promise in the new covenant is a new hear to love *Hebrews 8:10-12 and it is love that fulfills the law in those who believe God's Word. Salvation from our sins is through faith in God's Word *John 8:31-36. You have the victory over your sins today as Jesus has died to redeem us from all sin as we grow in the knowledge of His Word *2 Peter 3:18; John 17:17; Romans 3:31; Romans 8:1-4.

Walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh *Galatians 5:16; Romans 8:4. We walk by faith and not by sight *2 Corinthinals 5:7. To walk in the Spirit means to walk by faith alone for your salvation in God's Word *John 6:63; 1 John 3:9; Luke 8:11.

Remember temptation to sin is not sin until we choose to make it our own *James 1:13-15. When temptation come it come to the mind first (thoughts and feelings) *Matthew 5:27-28. At this time draw near to God through prayer and he will draw near to you *James 4:8. Resist the devil and he will flee from you *James 4:7. Cast down the temptations when they come to the mind *2 Corinthians 10:5.

These things I write unto you that you sin not *1 John 2:1. If any man sins however we have an advocate with the father *1 John 2:2. If we confess our sins he is faithful to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness *1 John 1:9. If we continue in His Word (by faith) God will set us free from our sins *John 8:31-36.

Let's finish here with this...

2 Peter 1:3-4 [3], According as his divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that has called us to glory and virtue: [4], Whereby are given to us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these you might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

God has already given you the victory. It is yours today and if you beleive and it is a free gift to you *Ephesians 2:8-9 purchased by the blood of Christ *Revelation 1:5. Claim it by faith *1 John 5:4

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And ive heard that it doesn't matter if i willfully sin or not your still saved.
Don't sin willfully. Trust God to do what He wants to do with you.

It is possible you are letting your attention go to only certain sins, so this keeps your attention away from how God wants you to submit to Him and learn how to love with God's children and how to love any and all people.

So, feed on scripture about submission to Jesus and how God's word says to relate in His love. And be aware of what God's word says is sinning in how we relate with God and with one another Jesus people and in relating with ones not Christians.

For example >

"Do all things without complaining and disputing," (in Philippians 2:14-16)

Arguing and complaining can be very destructive to our submitting to God in His peace, and in how we relate with ones close to us. Any sinning, of course, can degrade us from how God would have us sharing with Him and one another; but there are things which are not only practical wrong things and morally wrong, but there are anti-love things which are relational > like arguing and complaining; and there are emotional things which we are told to get rid of >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice." (Ephesians 4:31)

What I am getting at is you could . . . for all I know . . . be focusing on certain things you do, and you might not be evaluating how you are being submissive to God or not, and how you are relating with other people the way God's word says. There are scriptures about how we need to relate.

So, I would say do not isolate yourself in concern about certain things you are doing by yourself. If they are wrong, don't do them; but also learn more about what are anti-love sins such as unforgiveness, or trying to use people for what you want, instead of loving them.

And we can sin against how our Father would personally rule us in His peace. In prayer we can trust God to change us so we are submissive to Him in His peace >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

Or else, if you are not doing this, but are mainly attentive to certain things you are doing, your attention could be sinning even while you don't do what is more obviously sinful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

We cannot lose our salvation. Here's a couple of videos I thought might help.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course you are still saved if you have all your faith and trust in Jesus. You can live however you want and still go to heaven, but if you commit sin, God is going to punish you on this earth. But you will never go to hell.

Here is a great sermon about this subject.

Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Of course you are still saved if you have all your faith and trust in Jesus. You can live however you want and still go to heaven, but if you commit sin, God is going to punish you on this earth. But you will never go to hell.
Hello BibleBeliever1611, how does God "punish sinners" on this earth and how do we know that He is doing so? Does He punish every sin we commit (if not, why do you think He lets some of our sins slide)? Finally, where does the Bible tell us that He does this?

--David
p.s. - you said that we can live however we want to as Christians (I'm assuming you mean that a Christian can continue living in a lifestyle of unrepentant sin?). Doesn't the Bible tell us otherwise :scratch:

1 John 3
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Those who continue in known unrepentant sin will not enter into God's kingdom according to the scriptures (scriptures here linked). This is why we need to be born again *John 3:3-7. Those who are born again do not practice sin *1 John 3:3-9. Sin (those who practice sin and those who do not) is the difference between the children of God and the children of the devil *1 John 3:10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello BibleBeliever1611, how does God "punish sinners" on this earth and how do we know that He is doing so? Does He punish every sin we commit (if not, why do you think He lets some of our sins slide)? Finally, where does the Bible tell us that He does this?

--David
p.s. - you said that we can live however we want to as Christians (I'm assuming you mean that a Christian can continue living in a lifestyle of unrepentant sin?). Doesn't the Bible tell us otherwise :scratch:

1 John 3
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God.

Didn't God punish David on this Earth? That's just one example. Isn't 1 John 3 talking about the Holy Spirit and not the flesh? I think we'd have to spend every second of the day apologising for sin if we were truthful with ourselves.

Upvote 0