If I can’t trust God to protect/help in this life how am I supposed to trust Him for the afterlife?

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God doesn’t lift a finger to help you here. I am not talking about comforting and encouraging words. I am talking about help that materially changes to situation. You can’t rely on Him for anything like that. Isn’t this a case of can’t trust Him in the little (this life), can’t trust Him with the much (eternity)?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The point is understandable, but can we say that God does not help?

Many people can testify to him having helped when they really needed it, myself included. So the issue seems to be only that he didn't act--and in the exact way that the person wanted and at the time wanted or expected, and in every case.

• Friendly
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The point is understandable, but can we say that God does not help?

Many people can testify to him having helped when they really needed it, myself included. So the issue seems to be only that he didn't act--and in the exact way that the person wanted and at the time wanted or expected, and in every case.
For those that have gotten help, that is great. I haven’t . So while experience has taught that YOU(emphasis not sarcasm) can trust Him mine has taught me that I cannot.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God doesn’t lift a finger to help you here. I am not talking about comforting and encouraging words. I am talking about help that materially changes to situation. You can’t rely on Him for anything like that. Isn’t this a case of can’t trust Him in the little (this life), can’t trust Him with the much (eternity)?

I am sorry that you are finding life hard. All I can suggest is that you talk with your pastor, he may be able to suggest where you can get help.

The problem is we are not promised material prosperity or health in this life.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For those that have gotten help, that is great. I haven’t . So while experience has taught that YOU(emphasis not sarcasm) can trust Him mine has taught me that I cannot.
Well, I cannot deny that. You feel that you were not helped. However, in the original post, you didn't make it just about you.

You said
You can’t rely on Him for anything like that.

So, I took it as referring to people in general.

My point was that this does not automatically make God uncaring towards you. Or anyone else in a similar state. There could be reasons that you do not now appreciate. That happened with me. I really wanted and prayed for something I thought critical but...I didn't get it. Later, much later, I realized that HAD I gotten exactly what I wanted, it would have been very disadvantageous for me. And of course also, there are many people who have experienced God's intervention and been helped by it.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God doesn’t lift a finger to help you here.
It's a complex subject, but I don't believe that is true. God always wants the best for us, but we are in a fallen world. Sometimes our own disobedience or the disobedience of others obstructs His perfect will; and that can include the actions of the church at large working within society.

Sometimes He allows affliction, knowing it will yield a greater good. When that is the case Lamentations 3 says He does not afflict willingly. He is always on our side in the affliction.

The Bible doesn't promise things will go swimmingly all the time. Oftentimes there's a lesson to be learned and transformation to be achieved through it. When affliction comes, it is best to draw near to God and begin to discern what He wants to do with regard to it. He will help us according to the unassailable wisdom of His will. Even when we don't understand, it is best to trust Him implicitly. Though we shouldn't seek that position on our own AISI, this is the highest test of faith. 1 Peter is the go-to book on this subject.

Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls [to Him] in doing good, as to a faithful Creator. - 1Pe 4:19​

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great question!

For me, it's similar to when Jesus tells his followers they have to eat his body and drink his blood.

A lot of them leave, but a few stay. They say Who else will we go to, you have the words of life.

So, again for myself, I stay because of those words of life.

I love to talk more, but I'm concerned it would become debate-ish. You're welcome to message me. Or, if you've opened a thread in one of the areas that allows for more give and take, please let me know!

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I cannot deny that. You feel that you were not helped. However, in the original post, you didn't make it just about you.

You said

So, I took it as referring to people in general.

My point was that this does not automatically make God uncaring towards you. Or anyone else in a similar state. There could be reasons that you do not now appreciate. That happened with me. I really wanted and prayed for something I thought critical but...I didn't get it. Later, much later, I realized that HAD I gotten exactly what I wanted, it would have been very disadvantageous for me. And of course also, there are many people who have experienced God's intervention and been helped by it.
I was talking generally, but of course all things run through personal experience. As for His reasons, it doesn’t matter. I don’t care, I just want my 51 year wife healed from the strokes she has had and returned to my side.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This. God is sovereign He has his reasons for everything He does.

Yes he is sovereign, but he still does not promise us material prosperity or health etc.

If anything he promises the opposite, that as Jesus was treated so we can expect to be treated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just want my 51 year wife healed from the strokes she has had and returned to my side.
God is the only One to trust, about this.

I know of ones who have gotten isolated in care situations so we could not visit with them. So, I get how this can be hard for you a husband. But what I think can help is to appreciate however you can share with her.

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If God cannot trust you to take your cross and to help Him spread the kingdom in this world, how can He trust you to do that in the afterlife?
Don’t need to do that in the afterlife.
A) there are no problems(crosses to bear)
B) Everyone is saved already

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,003.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don’t need to do that in the afterlife.
A) there are no problems(crosses to bear)
B) Everyone is saved already

What do you mean no problems? Even angels have their tasks and could fall from that. We do not learn the whole life in pain to live a life without any challenges after that.

It has a purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know, I was tempted to be angry at God when Mom died suddenly. But He was so obviously there through the whole thing, I just couldn't do it. I think it actually ended up strengthening my faith in a strange way, because of the outpouring of love from others and because of the ways God spoke to me during my grief. It's hard when God doesn't just heal, knowing that he could. It's extremely hard. But he just isn't our genie in the bottle to pull out when things go rotten in life and fix it all. I want a transaction where I ask and he delivers exactly what I want and ask for. But I don't think I'd ever get any less selfish if that worked and I need a lot of help with my selfishness as it is. I'll say a prayer for your wife. Sometimes life has to suck for awhile before it gets better, in my experience. Don't know if that's helpful or not. But God never leaves, he's always there in the background. He's always active.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you mean no problems? Even angels have their tasks and could fall from that. We do not learn the whole life in pain to live a life without any challenges after that.

It has a purpose.
Except that is exactly what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,003.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Except that is exactly what the Bible says.
Yes, the Bible says that even in spiritual realms beings can make mistakes, wrong decisions and fight with each other.

What do you think this life is preparing us for? If we are supposed to be kings, we must learn how to do it.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,003.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So the Bible is lying when it says all tears wiped away(no problems or strife) and describes it as eternal rest? You are making heaven into a second round of earth.
Well, your understanding of the Bible is not working for you (or else you would not create this threat).

If you think that God is there to take your problems from you, then you cannot deal with the reality of this life's "military training" we are going through.

Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, your understanding of the Bible is not working for you (or else you would not create this threat).

If you think that God is there to take your problems from you, then you cannot deal with the reality of this life's "military training" we are going through.
I was talking about the afterlife in the quoted message.

Upvote 0