Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I want to join a Pentecostal church. I'm not sure which one yet. Is there anything I should know before I go to Pentecostal church?

Also, I ideally want to go to one which doesn't make speaking in tongues an absolute requirement. I get nervous easily and don't want to feel pressured. But I will join the church either way.

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Curious, why Pentecostal?

Because the last 4 days of my life have absolutely pointed to it. God has given both me and a close friend signs regarding the matter.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's a wide range of beliefs within Pentecostalism...in many ways it's its own branch of Christianity like Protestantism and Evangelicalism...

Now, most of your original Pentecostal denominations find their roots in the Wesleyan Holiness movement of the 1800s...Foursquare, International Pentecostal Holiness Church, Church of God (Cleveland) just to name a few. Assemblies of God has Baptist roots, which is why they're big fans of church autonomy.

Most of your modern Pentecostal churches don't place as strong an emphasis on tongues...it's getting to the point where you can't tell much of a difference between many Pentecostal churches and other Evangelicals. Though there are still the old school churches that will place very strong emphasis on the gifts, and especially tongues.

What is it that's leading you towards Pentecostalism? What are your views on sanctification? This will help guide what denomination you would fit into the most.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thanks.

I'm still trying to figure out if this is one of those forums where we cannot oppose the OP, so until I do, I'll just keep my thoughts to myself. And don't read too much into that. :)

Anyone know where that information is?

You can always PM me. I give you full permission to do so.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What is it that's leading you towards Pentecostalism?

I subscribe to Pentecostal views on spirit-gifts and deliverance, among other things.

If it wasn't for spirit-gifts and deliverance, I would be really lost right now.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I want to join a Pentecostal church. I'm not sure which one yet. Is there anything I should know before I go to Pentecostal church?

Also, I ideally want to go to one which doesn't make speaking in tongues an absolute requirement. I get nervous easily and don't want to feel pressured. But I will join the church either way.

Stay above the fray like in all things .. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟987,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Assemblies of God has Baptist roots, which is why they're big fans of church autonomy.
Your first line could apply here too; "a wide range" to the point as I encountered very distant, explosive remarks. But you may be more up to date on that than I. I have seen the softer shift.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Also, I ideally want to go to one which doesn't make speaking in tongues an absolute requirement.
Defeats the whole purpose of being Pentecostal.
In the book of Acts God clearly proves that when people believed in Jesus and the gospel they
1. got water baptized by full immersion as a public sign of their repentance (Romans 6)
2. when people were baptized in the Holy Spirit the Bible evidence given for this was speaking in
a new tongue (praying in the Spirit).
This wonderful spiritual language is immensely powerful and uplifting. All Christians in the first
century church were Pentecostal and spoke in tongues.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the
Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Romans 8:
Thus as children of our Father in Heaven we can communicate directly in spirit in the
same language as God and the angels.

Jesus himself said that speaking in tongues is the sign of true discipleship:
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils;
they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them;
they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mark 16:15-18

The Revival Fellowship, Fresno – A Church that knows the truth and has the proof

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I've attended quite a number of different Pentecostal churches over the past couple of years. Their teachings vary, sometimes greatly, even if their within the same denominational and/or theological mind-set. It seems the Assemblies of God have drifted from their Pentecostal roots in the past decade or show, and I know some here on CF have said their AG churches are merely Baptist churches that haven't changed their signs. The Church of God (Cleveland) churches I know of are generally more "on fire" for Jesus, and the gifts are still commonly practiced. The Apostolic Pentecostal churches in my area probably place the strongest emphasis on Spirit baptism, and the operation of the Holy Spirit's gifts in their services.

Reactions: Waggles
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I've attended quite a number of different Pentecostal churches over the past couple of years. Their teachings vary, sometimes greatly, even if their within the same denominational and/or theological mind-set. It seems the Assemblies of God have drifted from their Pentecostal roots in the past decade or show, and I know some here on CF have said their AG churches are merely Baptist churches that haven't changed their signs. The Church of God (Cleveland) churches I know of are generally more "on fire" for Jesus, and the gifts are still commonly practiced. The Apostolic Pentecostal churches in my area probably place the strongest emphasis on Spirit baptism, and the operation of the Holy Spirit's gifts in their services.
Which church do you belong to sir?

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Which church do you belong to sir?
You ask me this question (although in different ways) on nearly every forum in which I post. Why may I ask are you so interested in what church I attend?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You ask me this question (although in different ways) on nearly every forum in which I post. Why may I ask are you so interested in what church I attend?
Because you are posting on the Christian Forum which is a trinitarian forum.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Are you oneness doctrine?

Upvote 0