• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The CF Faith Groups List has been updated. The Statement of Faith has also been updated (section on unorthodox Christian theology only). Please review both of these updates. If you would like to request a different faith group, please open a support ticket.

If his cause is just and his philosophy honorable, what does it matter, what is important is that..

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Neogaia777, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Neogaia777

Neogaia777 Apprentice Supporter

+1,707
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    "If his cause is just and his philosophy honorable, what does it matter, what is important is that we follow his teachings... Perhaps the words, mean more than the man..."

This come from Star Trek TNG epsiode, "Rightful Heir", it's worth looking into as it comes to a possible type, Antichrist possibly...

Near the end, "Kahless, but not the real Kahless maybe, says this about him, the "real" Kahless from the sacred texts and his teachings or word...

Why do unbelievers not see it this way: "If his cause is just and his philosophy honorable, what does it matter, what is important is that we follow his teachings..." (correct...?)

Hardly any will deny that he is at the very least one of the most influential men in history (that he actually existed) and that he was a "great teacher" about the things of God and life in general...

Why do they not base their morality on following his teachings...? and be following his teachings...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

2. Paidiske

Paidiske Bodily member Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+6,052
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    The church has done a good job of convincing many people that his cause is not just, and his philosophy not honourable...

3. Neogaia777

+1,707
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Why or why not...? How do they do that...?

4. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+4,717
    Anabaptist
    Also, men are not honorable. Remember all mankind is subjected to sin. They couldn't be honorable if they wanted to be.

5. SpeckOdust

SpeckOdust New Member

+35
    Non-Denom
    Single
    They misrepresent God and His Word with a multitude of Theologies,which confuse the Message to most hearers...(Mmm...Which Theology is Right?Which Denomination? Mmm..??? What is God really like? What's He really saying? What's He doing?Would God do "that"??? Mmm...(scratching of the hairy-scalp,with many question-marks going on in the Brain inside of the skull) Is God Angry like my Dad? Is God like the Preacher,who doesn't sound like too much fun to be around?

6. Paidiske

+6,052
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    All too often, we are not loving. Remember the old hymn that says that "They will know we are Christians by our love"? And yet we don't live out that love, and as a result, we bring the cause of Christ into disrepute.

7. section9+1

section9+1 Active Member

+176
    Christian
    Married
    I will not follow any mortal's teachings. I don't care about his philosophy or cause. I know people can have some good ideas worth considering, but no one is worth following. I might hear something I like and incorporate it into my philosophy, but the philosophy then becomes mine and the other person is cast aside.

8. Neogaia777

+1,707
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Including Christ...?

9. section9+1

section9+1 Active Member

+176
    Christian
    Married
    I don't consider Christ to be a mortal.

10. Neogaia777

+1,707
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Ok, good, just so were clear on that...

God Bless!

11. yeshuaslavejeff

+4,717
    Anabaptist
    And then what happens ?

12. Paidiske

+6,052
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    What do you mean, and then what happens? People don't explore Christianity further, because they've seen Christians and they think that tells them all they need to know.

13. yeshuaslavejeff

+4,717
    Anabaptist
    Well, then what happens to the ones who caused others to stumble?

14. Paidiske

+6,052
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    They have to live with the consequences; an impoverished church, and their own lack of spiritual progress.

But that's not really the point of the OP, who was asking why non-Christians who acknowledge that Christ was good value might not become Christians.

15. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member

+3,683
    United States
    Lutheran
    Private
    I think its more than just not being loving. Sometimes there's the assumption that God is boxed up inside the Church, and it's impossible for anybody outside the Church to have genuine insights into morality, ethics, or any number of other issues.

16. Neogaia777

+1,707
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Or at least show some deep, reverential respect for Jesus... And why they would not follow his teachings, just based on him being a great man, possibly the greatest man that ever lived, to them...