If Hillary Withdraws

Who will the Democratic Party replace Hillary Clinton with if she withdraws prior to Election Day?

• Tim KaineC

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Someone else (name him or her in your post)

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reports are that high-level Democrats are discussing what to do and whom to turn to if Hillary Clinton is forced to withdraw from the race for president because of her health. Who do you think the party will choose as a replacement if this happens?

Reactions: Paul Yohannan

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It is an interesting question though I believe hrc would have to die on the campaign trail; she won't step down.....that scent of power can be so intoxicating...
Biden would be the obvious choice, he is middle of the road democrat, seems well liked even by repubs in congress but his frequent miscues would probably drag him down. The rnc would play a cornucopia of gaffes and misspeaks from him which could make him a laughingstock. The progressive left would be turned off by him too, especially Bernie supporters. But past Joe, who?.....Cuomo maybe? Though I have no idea what the demo's really think of him....

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Does the dnc have a similar rule like the rnc that if a candidate needs to be replaced it has to be someone that ran in the primary and at least won some states?
Apparently not, but I think that rule is brand new and has no Democrat parallel.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If "H" is too sick to continue, could Obama declare a state of emergency and remain in office until she is better? I know that sounds crazy (and hopefully it is) but I have some conspiracy theory fanatics in my family who claim that the White House has ordered martial law training to prepare our armed forces in the case of such an event, and that certain government agencies, like IRS offices, have been tasked with stockpiling weapons and ammo around the country (which is all pretty funny, unless it's true).

So, do you think there could be any truth to this, or is my family of, "deplorables", just as crazy as ever?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If "H" is too sick to continue, could Obama declare a state of emergency and remain in office until she is better? I know that sounds crazy (and hopefully it is) but I have some conspiracy theory fanatics in my family who claim that the White House has ordered martial law training to prepare our armed forces in the case of such an event, and that certain government agencies, like IRS offices, have been tasked with stockpiling weapons and ammo around the country (which is all pretty funny, unless it's true).

So, do you think there could be any truth to this, or is my family of, "deplorables", just as crazy as ever?
Aside from the martial law and ammo stuff, I have read some less sensational speculation about Obama being able to do something like this, BUT it would be hard to justify martial law merely because one candidate is sick but not dead and election day is yet to arrive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reports are that high-level Democrats are discussing what to do and whom to turn to if Hillary Clinton is forced to withdraw from the race for president because of her health. Who do you think the party will choose as a replacement if this happens?
It will be Biden but don't think it will happen. The Clintons will not let go of another chance to occupy the WH.

I hope her health improves. I think she would have to incapacitated to drop out of the race.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It will be Biden but don't think it will happen. The Clintons will not let go of another chance to occupy the WH.

I hope her health improves. I think she would have to incapacitated to drop out of the race.
It appears, however, that the Party leaders are beginning to agree that she's about the only Democrat who couldn't beat Trump and have lost patience with her nonstop string of mistakes, failures, and scandals.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is an interesting question though I believe hrc would have to die on the campaign trail; she won't step down.....that scent of power can be so intoxicating...
Biden would be the obvious choice, he is middle of the road democrat, seems well liked even by repubs in congress but his frequent miscues would probably drag him down. The rnc would play a cornucopia of gaffes and misspeaks from him which could make him a laughingstock. The progressive left would be turned off by him too, especially Bernie supporters. But past Joe, who?.....Cuomo maybe? Though I have no idea what the demo's really think of him....

Joe Biden's strength is that of stability. He would not rock the boat.

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It appears, however, that the Party leaders are beginning to agree that she's about the only Democrat who couldn't beat Trump and have lost patience with her nonstop string of mistakes, failures, and scandals.
Has not been an obstacle for the D party in the past.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Has not been an obstacle for the D party in the past.
I understand that, but I'm mainly reporting on what I've read, not necessarily what I would do if I were in the shoes of these Dem party leaders.

I do feel, however, that it's not a stretch to think that with Hillary dropping in the polls and with one bad move after another on her part...that there is some point at which they might say "enough is enough." If so, it is getting close to crunch time, if there's to be a change before the election.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Of course, being able to beat Trump may not be an advantage for the DNC. Many among the Republican elite have not exactly hid the fact that they would rather see a Democrat president than see Trump win, and the GOPe seemed to feel this way about Ted Cruz as well and likely others.

From the DNC leaks, it's not implausible that the DNC feels the same way about Bernie Sanders. So if they were pressured to choose him, they'd probably be regretting his relative strength.

Makes me think that Tim Caine is the most likely replacement, even if he has literally nothing to campaign beyond "I'm not Trump." Gary Johnson has made a whole campaign on that statement (plus "I'm not Hillary") so maybe it'd work.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I understand that, but I'm mainly reporting on what I've read, not necessarily what I would do if I were in the shoes of these Dem party leaders.

I do feel, however, that it's not a stretch to think that with Hillary dropping in the polls and with one bad move after another on her part...that there is some point at which they might say "enough is enough." If so, it is getting close to crunch time, if there's to be a change before the election.
I think they are stuck with the horse they rode into town on....even if they dropped her today selecting another would start an intra-party fight taking 1-2 weeks to settle then alienating significant parts....almost a sure fire plan for defeat.....

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think they are stuck with the horse they rode into town on....even if they dropped her today selecting another would start an intra-party fight taking 1-2 weeks to settle then alienating significant parts....almost a sure fire plan for defeat.....
They shot their horse when she made the "deplorable" Americans comment.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's quit speculating and get the facts...

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-happens-if-clinton-drops-out-2016-9
The Democratic Party's rules, which are similar to the Republican party's, state that the party chairperson would have to call a special meeting to fill any vacancy on the national ticket,according to AFP. The decision on who should fill the vacancy would be based on a majority vote from those who attend the meeting.

The Republican rules are similar, AFP noted.

If the rules for replacing presidential candidates seem vague, it's by design.

"It gives them the opportunity to make the best decision, rather than tie their hands with some kind of process that would give them a nominee they will not be comfortable with," Jeanne Zaino, a professor of political science at Iona College in New York, told AFP.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0