• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

If GOP stands for White Anglo-Saxon Protestantism, then it's not going to win anything

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by SummerMadness, May 3, 2021.

1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+25,860
    Agnostic
    Single
    The past is a useful weapon... but only for those who don't believe in redemption.

2. civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,494
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    And how does it not matter now? Had they no practiced their own form of apartheid would the south have/be better off? Would race relations be better today without Jim Crow?
    Thank you for repudiating reparations......
    Could you please take the time in your busy schedule to post the article/section where racism is enshrined as a permanent fixture in the Constitution? While you are at it could you also post the article/section where slavery is mentioned at all?......I am afraid I might have missed something.....
    Who?......African-Americans?......wow, what an acknowledgement.......

3. TLK Valentine

+25,860
    Agnostic
    Single
    I don't understand why you would want to preserve all this if we both agree it was a bad thing.

4. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+9,042
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Good grief. SM was talking about the failed state of the confederacy and its constitution.

Yes you missed something plain as day,

5. civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,494
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    You are right, I did miss that. Thanks for pointing it out......mea culpa.....

6. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,558
    Christian
    Married
  7. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,558
    Christian
    Married
    Thank God BLM is not a political party ...

8. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+8,029
    Non-Denom
    Single
    That's why I referred to it as an organization. Political parties listen to organizations, such as BLM.

9. TLK Valentine

+25,860
    Agnostic
    Single
    Political parties listen to the people... sometimes those people get organized.

10. TLK Valentine

+25,860
    Agnostic
    Single
    The parents want to disown the child -- why would you or anyone else want to adopt it?

11. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+21,281
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Speaking of Strom Thurmond...

(James Strom Thurmond Sr. (December 5, 1902 – June 26, 2003) was an American politician, military officer, and attorney who represented South Carolina in the United States Senate from 1954 to 2003. Thurmond was a member of the Democratic Party until 1964 when he joined the Republican Party for the remainder of his legislative career.)

12. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+8,029
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Biden seemed to like him:

“I came to the United States Senate. I was a 29-year-old fellow out of the Civil Rights movement, a public defender, and it turns out one of my closest friends ends up being Strom Thurmond, a man whose background and interests, at the time I came, were considerably different than mine,” Biden said in his 1988 speech.
    "If you had told me when I entered the United States Senate that one of the people that I’d have the closest relationship with in the Senate would be Strom Thurmond, I would have told you that you were crazy. And I suspect maybe Strom would have told you, you were crazy,” he added. “I’m not just saying Strom and I are close. Anyone who knows the Senate knows how seldom we agree on the controversial issues but how closely we work together.”

Biden said the Washington press would refer to him and Thurmond as the "marvelous marriage" and "the odd couple" and would often ask them how they got along.
    Joe Biden

13. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,975
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Now do Robert Byrd.

14. essentialsaltes

+21,281
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    in 1952, he announced "After about a year, I became disinterested, quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in [the KKK]

15. 98cwitr

+2,975
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Did he magically change his convictions which led him to join the KKK in the first place? After all, a tiger can't change his stripes.

16. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+11,504
    Catholic
    He not only apologized for his past actions, he also championed civil rights afterwards. I figure that should stand for something.

I just find it so odd that there is all this reaching back to the 1950s to talk about racism when we have racism here and now, and it's not isolated.

17. 98cwitr

+2,975
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    And it's just dismissed that Byrd used racial slurs on Fox News as late as 2001...are we then to overlook that?

And let's not forget LBJ's (who is also purported as a "civil rights hero") infamous quote as to why he was to win over the black vote.

I think some people are tired of being political pawns, don't you?

^^^LBJ said that.
    Byrd said that in 1946...you think he had a full change of heart in just 6 short years? I don't.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  18. essentialsaltes

+21,281
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized for a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

Look we get it. In the good old days of the 1950s, Southern Democrats were racist, and black people knew their place.

But things changed. In the case of Strom Thurmond, we can see exactly when. In 1964, he changed his party as the parties changed.

19. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+11,504
    Catholic
    Who dismissed it?

Similar to how you dismissed this?

20. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+8,029
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Trump championed civil rights as well. I figure that should stand for something (but have little hope it will).
    Trump attends civil rights museum opening; black leaders stay away