If God won't help with what I actually need, why bother with Him?

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I need, to be honest, money. I need healing for my wife. I need to be protected from problems. I need actual material fixes, not spiritual ones. I don't want them. I have no desire for them AT ALL! God could give me the entirety of the spiritual power he has, and it would not mean much to me. So if he won't help with what I need, why should I bother?

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I need, to be honest, money. I need healing for my wife. I need to be protected from problems. I need actual material fixes, not spiritual ones. I don't want them. I have no desire for them AT ALL! God could give me the entirety of the spiritual power he has, and it would not mean much to me. So if he won't help with what I need, why should I bother?
If this is truly how you feel, then you don't know God.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If you are a Christian, God gives you what you need according to His perfect will. He works everything out for good, and you might not like some of the things that he does for you. However, you might understand it later.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You are not more qualified than God to know what you actually need.

I've thought I needed things before like healing and money when I ended up not needing healing and only very little money over a long period of time.

Jesus wants to save you from your sins and live through you, and He also promised: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." You have to surrender to Him and seek His grace to live righteously and acceptably before Him; and He will then give you his verdict day by day of what "all these things" means in you and your family's case.

You are sure better off with Him than without Him. Trust Him. He is faithful. Don't be found guilty on Judgment Day of thinking you had the right to tell God what He should have done for you.

Psalm 33:18-22: "18 Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy; 19 To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. 20 Our soul waiteth for the Lord: he is our help and our shield. 21 For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name. 22 Let thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we hope in thee."

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The things you are specifying are not real needs at all. They are wants. The Scripture says that in this world we will have tribulation. So you are experiencing tribulation! Welcome to the human race!

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi masteryourlife,

I hope that you might be impressed to understand that 'being a christian' is not what God asks of us. God asks that we be reborn. Not merely born of earthly flesh, but also born of His Spirit. Being a christian just means that you go to worship service with a body of believers. It many also include that you throw some money in the plate when it goes around. Heck, you might even volunteer to do some good works.

So, making an assessment from what I'm hearing of your complaint, there may be some inconsistency in that regard in your life. Peter understood. When many of Jesus' disciples turned away from some of his hard teachings, he turned to his hand picked disciples and asked them if they wanted to turn away also. Peter replied, "Lord, where else would we go? Only you have the words of eternal life." Have you ever read the account of Paul's life. He was beaten pretty near to death and shipwrecked and imprisoned. He did not always have a wonderful life as the people of this earth would measure a wonderful life.

God doesn't promise any of us some safe and secure life here. In fact, Jesus seemed to infer that if you were a follower of his and you weren't receiving persecution, you'd better check your credentials! What God asks is that we be faithful and believe Him. Are you? Do you? Looking at your complaint, I would certainly encourage you to start there.

Now, maybe eternal life isn't what you want. I think the Scriptures are quite clear that most people won't receive him and gain the promise of God's eternal life. Maybe you are in that number. Jesus instructed that the absolute most important law of all of what God asks of us is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and strength. I would encourage that you try that first, and then see if God doesn't do better at answering your prayers.

I've always found Psalm 1 to be the basic truth that God asks for His children to live. Try it. Set aside those earthly anxieties that you're struggling with and make 'love for God' the top priority in your life and your problems and the way you perceive them will change. You will then become just like Peter when you think such thoughts as, 'this just isn't worth it'. You will understand that there isn't anywhere else to go.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We are allowed to ask (as in the Lord's Prayer), "Give us this day our daily bread..." God cares about both our material/ physical and spiritual needs.

Upvote 0

bvandewalker

Jul 28, 2019
Huntington Beach
✟8,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
How much do you actually need, in dollars?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The truth is that God is far more interested in your eternal destination than your present circumstances. The material troubles are easily fixed. Your eternal destination is not. In order to gain God's blessing, we have to be in a relationship with Him. Lord Jesus said we need to seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness. If we do that, God will take care of all our needs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I am sorry that life is tough for you.
Seeing a loved one seriously ill and being helpless to do anything is draining.

It is your choice to spit at God or to trust him.

We all want material fixes, we actually need spiritual fixes.

Please talk to your minister, he can arrange what ever help your church community can provide.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I need actual material fixes, not spiritual ones.

Material things coming your way.

Mat 6:31-34
31) Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32) (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33) But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34) Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Hmmmm, Seems like a pretty good deal, God has just put the ball back into your lap.

Upvote 0

Theophilus2019

Jun 25, 2019
Surrey
✟54,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God knows best what we really need. Sometimes experiencing suffering is good for us because it pulls us away from our merely earthly life. Besides which, God is certainly not there simply as a sort of good luck charm when we need Him. The Bible tells us that suffering is part of our common lot, whether we are Christians or not. Suffering always gives us two choices to “curse God and die” like Jobs wife, or to hang onto God and “even though He slay me I will trust Him.”

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,280.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You say you don't need spiritual fixes and yet you have a hostile attitude toward the Heavenly Father. You want Him to do what YOU want Him to do, but you don't want Him. He will never cooperate with such an attitude.

Why bother? Because He has more to offer you than you comprehend. Because there really is such a thing as hell for those who reject Him.

Why not try approaching Him with repentance and a humble heart? The Bible says that those who exalt themselves will be humbled but that those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Because you have your heart set to the things of this world and not the next world. Everything in this world will fade away but nothing in the next world will fade away. Enduring the hardships in this world and keeping your eye on the prize ahead is what faith is all about. It’s about trusting God that He will keep His promise when facing hard times. The day will come when this world will be judged, then the answer to your question will be made clear. But if you don’t repent before that time comes or before you die your fate will be forever sealed in the lake of fire for all eternity. So many people spend more time looking at what God hasn’t given them instead of what He has given them. He has given everyone the greatest gifts of all. Their life, His love, His grace, and the sacrifice of His Son so that everyone may receive eternal life in paradise with Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

:heart: i'm soooooooo sorry that you are suffering through so much and for your precious wife's suffering. (I've been there). Praying that God moooooves in visible and concrete ways that ease both of your souls, and that He ministers to each of your hearts, minds, and souls. Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen. (((hug)))

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

He's not forcing you to bother.
You are free dear one you are free.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Please don't view God this way, you don't know more than Him, He can decide to give you things you need that you aren't aware of, submit yourself in obedience to His will for your life as a Christian should. God bless

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I understand how you feel. At times I’ve thought to myself, “Why don’t you give me this *insert a “need”* Lord?” However, what I’ve come to realize while God is concerned about our earthly needs (food, clothing, shelter etc) he is much more concerned about our eternal destiny. I’m praying that God grants you your needs if it’s his will but also more importantly that you form a deeper relationship with him. I also pray for healing for your wife.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Peter replied, "Lord, where else would we go? Only you have the words of eternal life."

Thank Ted for this. It’s so profound with the things that I have going on in my life at the moment.

God bless.

• Friendly
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0