If God wills to give you everything what will you ask?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Healing
if I was healthy there's a lot I could do, and I would be a less bitter person
as a cripple, there's not a lot I can do and pain and disability make me bitter and pessimistic, I feel like I miss out on a lot of things, even a lot of ways to serve the Lord because I lack the ability and resources, and I fear that when I come to the judgement seat of Christ, I'll be the guy in 1 Corinthians 3:15, saved but with nothing to show for it, just the worst possible eternity while still being in heaven. the lowest of the low the "least in the kingdom of heaven"

Upvote 0

Melily

Feb 3, 2021
Noblesville
✟33,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Healing
if I was healthy there's a lot I could do, and I would be a less bitter person
as a cripple, there's not a lot I can do and pain and disability make me bitter and pessimistic, I feel like I miss out on a lot of things, even a lot of ways to serve the Lord because I lack the ability and resources, and I fear that when I come to the judgement seat of Christ, I'll be the guy in 1 Corinthians 3:15, saved but with nothing to show for it, just the worst possible eternity while still being in heaven. the lowest of the low the "least in the kingdom of heaven"
I read in a book by one about one of the Saints (forgive me but I can’t remember which one) that during health struggles he prayed to the Lord to help him be good. I’ve had my share of health struggles and now instead of praying for my health I just pray to the Lord to help me be good. It’s been quite liberating to surrender to whatever God wants rather than focusing on health. I do believe illness can sometimes help us on the path to salvation but I’m only a catechumen so feel free to ignore this if it’s not a pure orthodox perspective. I’m still learning!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do believe illness can sometimes help us on the path to salvation but I’m only a catechumen so feel free to ignore this if it’s not a pure orthodox perspective. I’m still learning!

You are correct regarding illness according to St. Porphyrios as it was mentioned by him, and quoted in the book "Wounded by Love: The Life and Wisdom of Elder Porphyrios" as recounted by the Sisters of the Holy Convent of Chrysopigi (Life-Giving Spring)

Here's a link with the excerpt that I'm referring to.

Excerpt from Wounded By Love: On Illness

Reactions: Melily
Upvote 0

Melily

Feb 3, 2021
Noblesville
✟33,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You are correct regarding illness according to St. Porphyrios as it was mentioned by him, and quoted in the book "Wounded by Love: The Life and Wisdom of Elder Porphyrios" as recounted by the Sisters of the Holy Convent of Chrysopigi (Life-Giving Spring)

Here's a link with the excerpt that I'm referring to.

Excerpt from Wounded By Love: On Illness
Yes! That’s the book! Thank you so much.

• Friendly
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Melily

Feb 3, 2021
Noblesville
✟33,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
2E4D16B2-EB8B-418C-8AA7-49584A1390A9.jpeg
I love this explanation on getting what we want.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to sing this lyric from the Rolling Stones to my children as they were growing up .
I believe God agrees with the sentiment.

"You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you just might find
You just might find
You get what you need"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I used to sing this lyric from the Rolling Stones to my children as they were growing up .

You just might find
You get what you need"

definitely one of those times classic rock is spot on.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 297757 I love this explanation on getting what we want.

Yes.. I have learned the same thing, eventually the bulk of guidance comes through sanctified desire.

You just might find
You get what you need"

I've actually always disliked that idea, because it is not consistent with how God has fulfilled needs or does not seem to be how He fulfills needs in Revelation 21 or 22.
When man has had a need God has never just said "you have me, you don't need anything else".
God has fulfilled the need/desire by providence.
When Adam was lonely, God didn't say "hey just look at me"
God created a wife for Adam, and just as Jesus said to love God, He also said to love each other. Not just love God. Human fellowship is always going to be a need and desire that we have and it is a good desire, a God given desire. (Matthew 22:37-40)

Man has needs/desires for food and drink, God provides food and drink and even Jesus desired food after being resurrected. Food even if not needed for sustenance is pleasurable to eat, especially in fellowship with others. Jesus often compared the Kingdom of Heaven to feasts and banquets, so that is a good, God given desire that God fulfills through providence, not just stare at Him and the desire and need goes away.

Even Jesus had desires other than just wanting to worship His Father. The key is they are not selfish desires. they're desires for His disciples, and for the people of Israel.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even Jesus had desires other than just wanting to worship His Father. The key is they are not selfish desires. they're desires for His disciples, and for the people of Israel.

Sanctified desires are not selfish.

I learned to pray each day - Lord give me the desires to do Your will and the Grace to be obedient...

Reactions: Melily
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Sanctified desires are not selfish.

I learned to pray each day - Lord give me the desires to do Your will and the Grace to be obedient...

Right but often people equate sanctified desires as a singular, sanctified desire just to worship and stare at the Lord for all eternity, and I just.. utterly reject that. If God had wanted us to just fall on our faces in front of Him all eternity He wouldn't have given us a garden, and He wouldn't be giving us a New Earth.

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0