Not open for further replies.

carmi

Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday a couple of women came to the door with magazines. After a somewhat long introduction one finally came to the point (what the visit was about). Somehow in the magazine I could find or it was shown what God has in store for us in the future.

(Why would I need a magazine as long as I have the Bible :scratch: ) ...

It was a Friday morning, great day of a morning because without any long introduction I just said

"I am saved. I know God's intentions for my futur." :)

I am afraid they did not hear that so often because she was somewhat perplexed. But after they left I remembered her only response:

"So you are good."

I did not think much about it but lateron I was thinking about it ...

I am not good. I am saved. If I were good, I'd be safe. But since I am not good, I needed to be saved.

Anyway, why I am writing this? Because it felt sooooooooooooo good to be able to say it:

I am saved.

And I just want to thank our Lord and Savior for this great gift.

Reactions: ZiSunka

Danfrey

Warning -- Anabaptist views
Feb 9, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
✟1,080.00
Faith
Anabaptist
KnowBeDo said:
Did you happen to catch the name of the magazine?

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on "The Watchtower"

I have alot of respect for their dedication, but I can't get past the idea that Jesus was created rather than begotten.

Upvote 0

SonOfThunder

Senior Veteran
Jul 12, 2004
✟10,286.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
since Jehovah's Witnesses seem to be the only ones out there on the streets I am almost certain that it was a watchtower magazine also.

Next time consider presenting not only your belief but some Scriptural evidence for them to think over. Planting one seed of doubt might just bring them to study the Bible independantly.

James

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Last Saturdy, the Mormons were here at my house, even though it was only 6 degrees outside. It might have been mormons, but since they asked you if you were good when you said you were saved, I'm betting on the JWs, too.

Theres a great booklet at Christian bookstores called, Witnessing to Jehovah's Witnesses, that really gives you an idea of what JWs believe and what the Bible really says about grace, salvation, morality and heaven.

I find the most effective question to ask them is, "What is your relationship to your Heavenly Father." Invariably, they say, "I obey Him." When I answer, "You obey Him like a puppy, but I am accepted by him like a daughter," they get a funny look on their faces and you can see the wheels turning. Sometimes they say, "We have a different hope." I follow up with, "You have a hope, but I have an assurance, an absolute expectation of seeing heaven and living in the presence of God." You can see the questions crossing their mind, questions they aren't allowed to ask.

But it plants a seed in their minds, I hope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lambslove said:
Last Saturdy, the Mormons were here at my house, even though it was only 6 degrees outside. It might have been mormons, but since they asked you if you were good when you said you were saved, I'm betting on the JWs, too.

Theres a great booklet at Christian bookstores called, Witnessing to Jehovah's Witnesses, that really gives you an idea of what JWs believe and what the Bible really says about grace, salvation, morality and heaven.

I find the most effective question to ask them is, "What is your relationship to your Heavenly Father." Invariably, they say, "I obey Him." When I answer, "You obey Him like a puppy, but I am accepted by him like a daughter," they get a funny look on their faces and you can see the wheels turning. Sometimes they say, "We have a different hope." I follow up with, "You have a hope, but I have an assurance, an absolute expectation of seeing heaven and living in the presence of God." You can see the questions crossing their mind, questions they aren't allowed to ask.

But it plants a seed in their minds, I hope.

Yep, or waters a seed that may have been planted up the road.

Upvote 0

Cright

Veteran
Apr 18, 2004
SE Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟17,849.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I visited my Grandma in Kentucky last year, there were Mormon's going door to door. No magazines with them though.

As for the JW's. If your going to take the time to talk to them and witness to them (which I recommend), pray about it alot, because if you happen to plant the seed that leads them to search for truth. They may come back for more answers. Be prepared with them. In the small chance this occurs those people will need to be connected to a church, and a church family in a swift kind of way.

You can read some of "Son of Thunder's" posts to understand more. But if they leave JW, they won't have much left in the way of friends and family and will need to be tied into one as quick as possible. Be ready to do a lot more than witness!!

In Him,
Carina

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JW's and Mormans aren't the only ones who witness. Every Baptist church I've been a part of has had an outreach program as well. Too bad we don't have more true believers hitting the streets to counter these false religions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
TwinCrier said:
JW's and Mormans aren't the only ones who witness. Every Baptist church I've been a part of has had an outreach program as well. Too bad we don't have more true believers hitting the streets to counter these false religions.

I find it really annoying when people come uninvited and unannounced to my door to tell me about their religion. I assume other people feel the same way. I don't think it's a very effective way to win souls anymore. It was okay up to the 1960s when everyone had phones and tv and women stayed home and there was leisure time and people would just drop by their friends' houses on an evening to visit. Life isn't like that any more. I wish we would use the media more effectively, and friendships more effectively now. I think we would reach more people. I got saved listening to the radio, and my unsaved sister likes watching a guy named Creflo Dollar (I may be spelling is wrong) and if done properly, we could get the message into every home in no time without annoying anyone. :)

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cright said:
When I visited my Grandma in Kentucky last year, there were Mormon's going door to door. No magazines with them though.

As for the JW's. If your going to take the time to talk to them and witness to them (which I recommend), pray about it alot, because if you happen to plant the seed that leads them to search for truth. They may come back for more answers. Be prepared with them. In the small chance this occurs those people will need to be connected to a church, and a church family in a swift kind of way.

You can read some of "Son of Thunder's" posts to understand more. But if they leave JW, they won't have much left in the way of friends and family and will need to be tied into one as quick as possible. Be ready to do a lot more than witness!!

In Him,
Carina
Outstanding! Where in Kentucky did you visit? If you don't mind my asking.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Cright said:

In Him,
Carina

Many years ago, I had a good friend who's parents were Jehovah's Witnesses who got saved and started a ministry to JW's and people in other cults.

It really was amazing what it costs a JW to follow Christ. Everytime I think I think I've got it tough following Christ, I think about them losing their home and family, being shunned by everybody they knew and having to pack up and move all the way across the country because they were blacklisted and couldn't find work

Their names are Bill and Joan Cetnar. Bill went home to be with the Lord several years ago, but Joan is still out there.

The first ministry they started was with Walter Martin. If you go to the Christian Research Institute's website, they have a terrific series there called "Jehovah's Witness At Your Door", in which they role play a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses who encounter Walter Martin. Since this is based on their thirty years plus of being the real thing, it's very insightful. They present all of the arguments from the JW side, while Martin counters with the Bible.

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Great advice for witnessing door to door here:
http://www.avirtuouswoman.org/main/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=302

But I always remember, it is God who does the real work.

Matthew 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Mark 6:11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

Luke 9:5 And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.

Upvote 0

carmi

Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
KnowBeDo said:
Did you happen to catch the name of the magazine?

Awake

(That's what I could see ... but I cannot say for sure whether that was the only word or whether there was a sub-title).

Which reminds me to what I was wondering in my op ... since I have the Bible why do I need a magazine to know about what God has in store for my future

[BIBLE]Psalm 3:5[/BIBLE]

[BIBLE]Psalm 139:18[/BIBLE]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.