If God spoke the universe into existence...

EternalDragon

Counselor
Jul 31, 2013
✟21,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Just as any true Scotsman puts honey in his porridge. If he doesn't, then he is not a true Scotsman.

What you are missing is that a belief in a literal Genesis is not a requirement for being a christian, and it never has been, just as it is not a requirement to put honey in your porridge in order to be a Scotsman. Nowhere in the Nicene Creed do you see any requirement that christians belief in a young Earth or separate creation.

No, not the first requirement but it is the second after you become a Christian.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Jesus also studied and taught from Genesis as true history.

Math. 19:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

John 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, not the first requirement but it is the second after you become a Christian.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Jesus also studied and taught from Genesis as true history.

Math. 19:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

John 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.

I agree. It is a level of trust in God that one comes to.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So how about in your own words. Tell me what "nothing" is. Educate this completely ignorant atheist on what the word "nothing" means. Please.

Your move.

You do not know "nothing", so you do not know "thing".

Let me tell you a "thing": space. Do you know what space is?

I am sure you do. So, now, eliminate the space. Then the situation is closer to nothing. But it is only closer, not quite there yet.

Do you see things better now? This has nothing to do with being an atheist or not. It is an understanding.

------

After all, I think I do not have to tell you this.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, why could not the resurrection story be simply a metaphor. In fact, why could not the entire life of Jesus be simply metaphorical, as many early Christians (perhaps even including Paul) believed...?

You can believe that if you wish.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
juve: Did you even read the thread? You're actually agreeing with me, not AV, on what "nothing" is... er... I think.

Your OP is not about nothing, it is about the Bible. You never care about the issue in your OP in this thread. So, this thread is endangered to become a junk thread.

Upvote 0

Delphiki

May 7, 2010
Ohio
✟5,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Your OP is not about nothing, it is about the Bible. You never care about the issue in your OP in this thread. So, this thread is endangered to become a junk thread.

So the answer to my question is that you didn't. The attention span you display here perfectly explains why one might believe a collection of lucrative stories in an ancient series of books over reality. Thanks for the insight.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So the answer to my question is that you didn't. The attention span you display here perfectly explains why one might believe a collection of lucrative stories in an ancient series of books over reality. Thanks for the insight.

You asked a question and I gave you a good reply.
You do not consider my reply. That is your business.
I will talk to you when you catch up on the argument.

Upvote 0